B com, as the name implies, is an abbreviation for Bachelor of Commerce. It is an undergraduate degree in commerce and allied subjects. B com course is crafted in such a way that the aspirant gains managerial skills along with advanced knowledge in the field of Commerce, Finance, Accounting, etc. In this article, you will learn all about B com. B com is the most trending and popular course for Commerce stream students after qualifying 10+2. Most Commerce stream students opt for B com for securing graduation degree. B com is an elementary step in shaping a carrier in the field of commerce. The B com course unlocks the doors for making a career in Finance, Accounting, Management, Banking, and related streams. After having gained insight about B com let’s move on to the specific details of the course to gain better information.
All about B com Eligibility
The eligibility conditions for gaining entry into B com are simple and straight forward. On this note, the eligibility conditions are as follows:
- The candidate must have qualified 10+ 2 with subjects like Economics, Commerce, Accounts, and English as the main language and an optional subject.
- The candidate should have secured at least 50% in class 12th for securing admission in BCom.
All About B com Admission Process
B com is to be pursued after qualifying 10+2. The admission to B com is based on the percentage obtained in the 12th standard. This is because the admission to B com is based on the merit list system. Each college releases its own merit list for selecting candidates. Some top colleges and universities select candidates by conducting their specific entrance tests. In this case, the student needs to clear the entrance test for securing admission. The applicant needs to fill the form and submit it either offline or online. After receiving the application by the due date, the colleges then release cut off lists for the selection of candidates. The selected candidates are required to complete the admission formalities within the prescribed timeline.
All About B com Courses
B com course has its main three variants that are very common in all colleges.
- B com: In this course, the candidate is imparted with knowledge of all the subjects like Economics, Tax, Business Accounting, Business Law, but he does not specialize in any specific subject during the course.
- B com (Hons.): This is a higher and more specialized version of the normal B com course. It is more detailed and preferred as compared to B com. The benefit is that this course is business-oriented and helps candidates gain command in a particular specialization.
- B com + LLB: This is a dual degree course wherein the candidate is imparted with the knowledge of commerce and law simultaneously. This course is mainly opted for by candidates who wish to make a career in the field of law. It gives the benefit of both commerce and law.
All the courses have their own benefits but it depends upon the interest of the candidate. At present, B com (Hons.) is gaining demand because of industry requirements. Also, the B com is suitable who wants to pursue professional courses like CA, CS, CMA.
All About B com Course Duration
The B com course is an undergraduate course of 3 years which is divided into 6 semesters. B com can be pursued as a full-time course or part-time course in the form of correspondence or via distance learning. During the duration of the course, the candidate is given advance knowledge of the core subjects that help in building the roadmap for higher education.
All About B com Syllabus
The B com is a detailed course wherein the candidate has imparted the basics of numerous subjects. On this note the subjects covered in B com are as follows:
- Financial Accounts
- Information Technology
- Business Laws
- Cost Accounting
- Environmental studies
- Business Ethics
The syllabus varies from university to university but the subjects remain the same all over. After gaining an insight into the details of B com, it is important to analyze a few important elements in relation to this course.
Why B com?
B com is an elementary course to develop a career in the field of commerce. In light of this, it is important to understand why to choose B com.
- Job Opportunities: After completing B com there are various job opportunities that are available to the candidate. B com paves the way for future career prospects as a candidate can choose the sector of his preference for jobs.
- Further career options: B com opens the door for future career options. After pursuing B com, the candidate may pursue higher education courses like MBA, MCom or pursue professional courses like CA, CS, CMA or commence preparation for government exams.
- High Salary: B com provides a high salary as a candidate, after pursuing B com from a recognized college, gets good placement opportunities and heavy salary packages.
- High demand: All companies looking for undergraduates prefer to hire B com qualified candidates as a result of which B com is mandatory for a commerce stream student.
All About B com Future Prospects of B com
Keeping into account the needs of the industry there are various further career options that can be opted to gain an additional advantage after completing B com. Few very commonly opted career prospects after B com are as follows:
- MCom: This is a post-graduate course in the field of commerce. This course is generally opted by candidates who wish to make a career in the banking or financial domain.
- MBA: This is also a post-graduate course but in business applications. This course offers numerous choices while opting for specialization.
- CA: CA or Chartered Accountant is a professional course in the field of accountancy. The course offers professional recognition and brand image in the field of accountancy.
- CS: CS or Company Secretary is also a professional course granting specialization in the field of law. This course provides significant designation and job profiles in the company.
Therefore, B com is a lucrative course and is widely opted for by commerce stream candidates. If you chose B com in your interest, then the most common option is accounting, but students may choose various different sectors like finance, Business Law, Economics, Taxation, etc. We hope that this article helps to gain complete knowledge of all about B com. Feel free to leave your queries or thoughts in the comment section below, and we’ll try our best to respond to everyone. If you need help with B com preparations, contact SuperProfs‘ B com Exam Expert. Also, you may begin your preparation with B com Free Trial Classes. Now students from all over India can learn from India’s Most Experienced Professors online and get their dream career.
Watch Videos Lecture Offline