Mistakes to avoid in CA, CMA & CS Exams.
1. Always don’t underestimate yourself – Whatever your preparation maybe don’t underestimate yourself. Be always confident and don’t go with what has happened in the past.
2. Don’t strain yourself physically and mentally – Presence of mind and physical fitness is very important as you need to be very much attentive and confident for 3 hours. So, don’t strain yourself too much both physically and mentally before and during the examination time.
3. Don’t discuss your performance with your friends – Every day after writing exams, access yourself and don’t discuss your performance with any of your friends.
4. Don’t compromise on sleep and practice a balanced diet – Always remember before and during the exams have good sleep at least for 5 hours daily and have a good timely meal and a balanced diet. As a student you should not do these mistakes in CA CMA CS Exams.
5. Don’t yield your ears to rumors – Many of the students have shared with me different sorts of rumors like change in question paper pattern, important questions, etc. before the exams but, my advice is that don’t yield your ears to such rumors. Professional exams are conducted by the institute with high professional standard and if any changes are there then please refer to the official website of the institutes for the information.
6. Don’t ever be late to the examination hall – Always be 15 minutes before schedule time in the examination hall. You get sufficient time in searching for your registration number, hearing to the important instructions, making yourself comfortable and removing stress to some extent before the exams.
7. Don’t carry pens, pencils, and calculators without being checked earlier – Always carries spare pens, pencil and good quality calculators to the examination. Check it before you leave for exams. As a student, you should not do these mistakes in CA CMA CS Exams.
8. Don’t start writing immediately on the answer book – After you get the answer books please check whether the papers in the answer books are neat, stapled, ruled lines are drawn properly, number of pages, etc. See, whether on the front sheet all fields for which you need to give information is provided or not.
9. Don’t change your handwriting and pens every now and then – Many students quite often change their color of ink while writing answers, this is not advisable unless if it is for the reason that you need to change the pen. Please get the signature of the invigilator for any change in the color of ink. Also, make sure that your handwriting is uniform all over the answer book.
10. Don’t start the answers immediately after getting the question paper – Spend some time in looking at the questions and understanding the questions, make a proper choice of questions that you are familiar and confident to answer and read all the instructions given on the question paper. Question paper is usually set for 2 hours 35 minutes and you need to spend at least 15 minutes to read and understand the question and 10 minutes to finally revise your answers at the end.
11. Don’t ever leave the compulsory question unanswered – If the question paper says that one of the questions is compulsory, make sure that you don’t leave that particular question unanswered at any cost.
12. Don’t waste too much of time in remembering the answers – If you are struck with any particular question or adjustments or case laws then don’t waste time in remembering it, leave some space and start answering the other questions and whenever you remember, you can still come back and complete it. As a student you should not do these mistakes in CA CMA CS Exams.
13. Don’t ever continue answers for new questions on the same page – When you have answered a question and if there is some 3/4th page still left, then don’t continue your next question-answer there itself. Always start your answers for next questions in the new page.
14. Don’t ignore the instructions stated in the question paper – If the question states clearly – workings form part of answers, make necessary assumptions where ever required, don’t do unwanted discussion, etc then, please read the instructions and act accordingly.
15. Don’t ever start your answers with working – In case of problem-related questions, always remember that while starting the answer don’t start with workings. What it is asked for in the question should come first and work should be part of the answer. For eg. If in accounts the question asks to prepare a balance sheet. you need to show the balance sheet first and then under working notes mention the various working which you did for getting balance sheet figures.
16. Don’t violate rules and principles set by profession – Since you are writing professional exams always remember you should not violate any rules, principles, guidelines put forth by the institute or accounting profession. Your answers should not violate the basic rules and principles put forth by the profession and institute. For eg. Presentation of Balance sheet, one should follow the principles as to how assets are listed (priority wise).
17. Don’t ever do an incomplete presentation – For example, if the question asks to pass journal entries or prepare a process accounts, then clearly mention in whose books accounts are prepared, company name, date, debit, credit, amount, etc clearly. In the case of journal entry don’t forget to give narrations at the end of each entry.
18. Don’t forget to mark your answers with relevant question number – Most of the students does this mistake, they don’t write clearly and legibly the question numbers and subparts of question number for which the answers pertain to. Remember one thing, you are writing answers for examiners to understand and take little extra care to win the examiner to your side with a good and neat presentation. As a student you should not do these mistakes in CA CMA CS Exams.
19. Don’t use too much marker and highlighter to mark your answers in your answer books – It is good to use highlighter wherever it is important. Too much use of the highlighter and markers may not be liked by the examiner and so avoid using too much of it. Also, use only light and pleasant colors while highlighting.
20. Don’t compromise on the quality of answers – It is always the quality of answers which is more important in professional exams. So restrict your answers to simple points and try to justify your answers with good quality rather than quantity. Quote case laws, section, rules, standards, etc where ever it is necessary.
21. Don’t write answers for your purpose of understanding – Always keep in mind that you are writing answers to convince the examiner and not for yourself. So, keeping examiner in mind, try to answer questions with good presentation, relevant and clear information and with good quality.
22. Don’t ever leave the front page of the answer book without filling the question numbers which you have answered – Especially in case of CA students, make sure that you fill the relevant question numbers which you have answered on the front page of answer books. Make sure you enter correctly your role numbers – in words and figures where ever necessary and subject code properly on the first page.
23. Don’t be careless while tying a tag to the additional sheet – In case you borrow an additional sheet don’t forget to tie the tag properly and cross-check the same at the time of revising your answers at the end. As a student you should not do these mistakes in CA CMA CS Exams.
24. Don’t worry about the exams after you come out of the examination hall – After coming out of the exam don’t start self-assessment and get into a discussion with your friends on the answers to each and every question. Even at home don’t refer notes or solutions for the questions to which you have already answered. Start fresh and concentrate only on the next exams and prepare for it.
25. Don’t be pessimists be an optimist and see the good side of life when there are failures – Exams are the process of evaluation of what you know and what you don’t know. It is not last in life and if I fail that doesn’t mean that I don’t know anything and I am unfit to do any work. I can still come up by improving the grey areas. Always be an optimist and put the effort and finally can reap the benefit of success. So, don’t lose hope in case if you couldn’t fair well in one paper. There are still hopes to get exemption in the rest of the paper and can carry forward for next year.
You can watch a few demo lectures by SuperProfs and see if you would want to consider subscribing to our video series for a better shot at clearing the CS examination.
Watch Videos Lecture Offline