In an announcement released today on June 15, 2020, ICAI has provided an option for the students enrolled for May 2020 exams (which were earlier rescheduled to July) to opt-out from this attempt and instead appear for November 2020 exams. This ICAI opt-out option for July 2020 exams comes amid a growing concern around the Covid-19 pandemic situation in the country.
ICAI opt-out option for July 2020 exams – impact on your candidature
ICAI has said that they have received mixed requests from the student community where some students have expressed a desire to continue with the July schedule of exams while others have requested a further postponement. In a bid to honour the requests from both sets of students, ICAI has decided to allow each student to decide what’s best for them. If a student feels that they should take the July exams, they can do so while on the other hand, any student wanting a further postponement can opt out and register for November 2020 attempt instead.
Important points regarding opting out from ICAI July 2020 exams:
- If a student who had registered for the May 2020 (now July 2020) exams opts out of this attempt, their examination fees and exemptions (if applicable) will be carried forward to the November 2020 attempt. This means they’ll not have to pay the examination fees again and they’ll not lose their applicable exemptions.
- When a student opts out, their July 2020 attempt will be treated as canceled / not counted.
- A student who opts out will be required to register again for the November 2020 exams. As said earlier, the examination fees already paid will be adjusted.
- When registering for the November attempt, a student will have to pay any differential fees, if applicable. For example, if a student had registered for only group 1 exams in July but wishes to take both groups in November, they’ll have to pay the fees for group 2 exams when registering for November attempt.
Procedure for opting out of ICAI July 2020 exams
Here’s what a student needs to do in order to opt out of July 2020 exams and carry forward their candidature to November 2020:
- Submit a declaration online available at https://icaiexam.icai.org from 17th June (Wednesday) 11 AM onwards to 20th June (Saturday) 11:59 PM.
- On submitting the declaration, candidature of the student for May 2020 examination cycle will be canceled and he/she will be shifted to next examination cycle.
- Once the option for opt out is taken, it will be treated as final. No request for its change will be entertained under any circumstances.
Details regarding ICAI July 2020 exams
While ICAI has introduced the opt put option, they have also committed to conducting the July exams as per the schedule, subject to government advisories.
ICAI has said that they’ll take all the necessary precautions like thermal scanning, hand sanitization, social distancing, wearing of masks, etc at the exam centre. However, ICAI will continue to monitor the pandemic situation and government guidelines around it. A review of the July exam schedule will be done in the first week of July and the students who do not opt out will be intimated of the next steps by the institute. Even after that, the decision to conduct the exams will remain subject to government guidelines in any particular area at the time of the exam. If students at any centre are affected by the guidelines, they will be accommodated in the November 2020 exams.
Moreover, students willing to take the July 2020 exams can choose to change their exam centre. They can do this online at http://icaiexam.icai.org from 17th June (Wednesday) 11 AM onwards to 20th June (Saturday) 11:59 PM.
Lastly, ICAI has also announced that the IPCC (Old Course) will be extended for one more attempt in November 2020.
What should you do?
If you’re a CA student registered for the July 2020 exams, we would suggest you to opt out and go for the November attempt. This will remove any uncertainty around your exams and also gives you another 4 months to solidify your preparation.
If you’re already a SuperProfs student, we’re offering course extension at minimal prices. If you’re not yet enrolled with us, you can get courses for November 2020 attempt at very lucrative prices. Call us at 01141170752 to get your course or extension now!