Company Secretary Course Details | How to Become a CS
Career as a Company Secretary is not only prestigious and financially rewarding but also carries with it a high level of job satisfaction. There are 3 stages in Company Secretary Course i.e. Foundation, Executive and Professional. So if you want to become CS, you should complete these 3 stages.
[box] The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is a premier National Professional body established by Act of Parliament to develop and regulate the Profession of Company Secretaries. ICSI imparts training in Company Secretaryship by Distance Learning (by correspondence) enabling students to qualify Company Secretary Course. The Institute provides “Company Secretary Course Material” for all the subjects at the time of Registration. There is also provision for Optional Oral Coaching classes.[/box]
A Company Secretary or a Qualified CS is:
- An in-house legal expert; a compliance officer of the Company.
- An expert in corporate laws, securities laws & capital market and corporate governance
- Chief adviser to the board of directors on best practices in corporate governance
- Responsible for all regulatory compliance of company
- Corporate planner and strategic manager
Company secretaries (CS) are responsible to look after Company law, corporate strategies, security market, and other similar issues. Needless to say is a company’s compliance with regulations and its smooth running is dependent heavily on company Secretaries. If you have an inclination towards challenging job profiles and want to make a career as a company Secretary, CS qualification is the degree to look forward to. CS qualification can be obtained by giving the CS exam organised by The Institute of Company Secretaries (http://www.icsi.edu/). The ICSI membership plays a vital role in job openings in the corporate world and for recruitment in state and central government posts.
How to Become CS | Company Secretary Course Details
Phases to become a Company Secretary
- Foundation program: Students looking to do CS after 12th need to go through this stage.
- Executive program: This course is for Graduates of all streams with the exception of Fine Arts.
- Professional program: One can Complete this after completing the intermediate exam of the CS course
1. The student who would like to join this CS Course after 10+2 has to undergo three stages to pursue the Company Secretaries Course i.e.
- Foundation Program
- Executive Program
- Professional Programme
2. In addition, the student has to undergo Practical Training for about 15 months, which a student may opt to start after passing the Executive Program
3. The Student who would like to join the Course after passing the Graduation (Example: B.com) has to undergo two stages of the Company Secretaryship i.e.
- Executive Program
- Professional Program
Besides, the student has to undergo Practical Training for about 15 months.
4. Foundation Program, which is eight months duration can be pursued by 10+2 pass students of Arts, Science or Commerce stream.
5. Executive Program can be pursued by a Graduate of all streams except Fine Arts.
6. Professional Program can be pursued only after clearing the Executive Program of Company Secretary Course.
7. Training: A Student has to undergo 15 months Management Training in Companies sponsored by the Institute after passing the Executive or Professional Program or under the guidance of a Company Secretary in Practice.
8. After qualifying Professional Examination and on successful completion of training a candidate is admitted as an Associate Member of the ICSI and can use the letters ACS after his/her name i.e. Associate Company Secretary.
Note: Admission to the Company Secretary Course is open throughout the year. Examinations are held twice a year in June & December.
How to Register For CS Foundation | Company Secretary Course Details
There are 4 subjects in CS Foundation.
CS Foundation Registration is open throughout the year. Candidates registered up to and including the month of March are eligible to take the Foundation examination earliest in December in the same year and those registered up to and including September can take up the examination in June next year subject to satisfactory completion of coaching. So
If you want to write CS Foundation exam in Dec 2015, you should register before 31st March 2015.
If you want to write CS Foundation exam in June 2016, you should register before 30th September 2015
CS Foundation Registration Fee Details:
CS Foundation Registration Fee
|General Students||Admission Fee
|SC / ST Students||Admission Fee Education Fee||50% of Total Fee||2250|
|Physically Handicapped Students||Admission Fee Only||1500||1500|
To know what are the Documents Required For CS Foundation Registration and CS Foundation Registration Online Process Click Here.
How to Register For CS Executive | Company Secretary Course Details
There are 2 Modules in CS Executive. Module -I contains 4 subjects and Module – II contains 3 subjects.
- Company Accounts and Auditing Practices
- Capital Markets and Securities Laws
- Industrial, Labor and General Laws
Candidates registered as students up to and including May in a year are eligible for appearing in any one Module only of the Executive examination held in December of that year and those registered up to and including the month of November in a year are eligible for appearing in any one Module only in the June examination of next year subject to completion of coaching, computer training & other requirements (as per the guidelines of the Institute) in the Module they intend to appear.
For CS Executive Registration Fee Details, Click Here.
How to Register For CS Professional | Company Secretary Course Details
There are 3 Modules in CS Executive. Module -I contain 3 subjects, Module – II contains 4 subjects and Module 3 contains 2 subjects and 5 elective papers.
- Advanced Company Law and Practice
- Secretarial Audit, Compliance Management, and Due Diligence
- Corporate Restructuring, Valuation, and Insolvency
- Information Technology and Systems Audit
- Financial, Treasury and Forex Management
- Ethics, Governance, and Sustainability
- Advanced Tax Laws and Practice
- Drafting, Appearances, and Pleadings
- Banking Law and Practice
- Capital, Commodity and Money Market
- Insurance Law and Practice
- Intellectual Property Rights – Law and Practice
- International Business-Laws and Practices
CS Professional Registration Last Date:
CS Professional Registration is open throughout the year. A student is admitted to the Professional examination only after a minimum period of nine calendar months has elapsed since his passing the Executive examination.
If you want to write the CS Professional all Modules in Dec 2017, You should register before 28.02.2017
If you want to write the CS Professional any single Module in Dec 2017, You should register before 31.05.2017
CS Professional Registration Online Process: Click Here CS Professional Course Details
Medium of Examination
The Institute allows the facility for students to appear in examination in English as well as in Hindi. (Except Business Communication subject of Foundation Program)
A candidate is declared to have passed the Foundation / Executive / Professional examination if he/she secures at one sitting a minimum of 40% marks in each paper and 50% marks in the aggregate of all subjects.
Time limit for completing CS Examination
A student is required to complete the Executive and the Professional examination within the registration period. However, on payment of requisite fees, the validity of registration may be renewed/extended for the further period subject to fulfilling the applicable guidelines.
ICSI Oral Tuition Guidelines / PPP Guidelines
Salient features of the Oral Tuition Guidelines & PPP Guidelines: Under the revised guidelines 30 lectures of 2 hours duration for each subject of Foundation / 035 lectures of 2 hours duration for each subject of Executive / 40 lectures of 2 hours duration for each subject of Professional Program has been made mandatory
Existing Practical experience and training requirements
The students are required to undergo the following trainings:
7 days Student Induction Program (SIP) – within six months of Registration in Executive Program or exempted therefrom for becoming eligible to seek enrolment to appear in Executive Program Examination.
70 hours compulsory computer training program- for becoming eligible to seek enrolment to appear in Executive Program Examination.
8 days Executive Development Program (EDP) – after passing the Executive Program and before commencement of 15 months training.
25 hours of Professional Development Program (PDP) during 15 months training
15 months training after passing the Executive Program or Professional Program on completion of the Student Induction Program and Executive Development Program with companies and Company Secretaries in Practice registered with the Institute for imparting training
3 months practical training is required to be undergone by the student if the student completes the professional program examination and exempted from undergoing at least 12 months training on the basis of Company Secretaries Regulations,1982, as amended on submitting the documents to the Institute and fulfills the requirement of Regulation 48. This training will be exempted to the students who have undergone 15 months training.
15 days training in a specialized agency such as the Registrar of Companies (ROC) / Stock Exchange / Financial and Banking Institution/Management Consultancy Firm can only be commenced if the student completes SIP, EDP, 15 months training and having passed professional program examination.
15 days Management Skills Orientation Program (MSOP)- after Professional Program and on completion of Executive Development Program and 15 months training
1. The students can be exempted from undergoing training totally or partially depending on the practical experience possessed by them on fulfilling the requirement of the Company Secretaries
2. Regulations,1982, as amended, on submitting the relevant documents.
After a student passing the Professional Program may enroll as ‘Licentiate ICSI’ at his/her option until completion of training requirements.
After qualifying the CS Professional Program and on completion of training as provided under the CS Regulations, a candidate is enrolled as an Associate Member of the Institute and he can use the descriptive title “ACS” after his / her name.
Further Academic Pursuits:
- The Company Secretary Course is recognized by the various Universities for admission to Ph.D Course.
- Utilization of services of members by various professional/educational bodies for academic activities
- ICSI conducts Post Membership Qualification (PMQ) Course in Corporate Governance.
The Headquarters and Regional Offices offer placement services to the Members of the Institute:
- Names of candidates are sponsored by prospective employers on request
- Members looking for a job may register online on the Institute’s Website: www.icsi.edu for availing Placement assistance.
- Vacancies received from companies are also displayed on the website www.icsi.edu
- Campus Interviews are conducted to assist members for a job and students for 15 months training
Financial Assistance/ Scholarship
Prizes, Merit Scholarship and Merit-cum-Means Assistance
- The Institute awards Prizes, merit scholarships to the meritorious students
- Merit-cum-Means Assistance is granted to the economically weaker students
Advantages of CS career option:
- Being a professional course, students after completion of the course get a professional designation
- With the introduction of Companies Act,2013 people with CS qualification are always in demand
- One can prepare for CS exam along with graduation
- Cs professionals can traverse into many fields after acquiring the CS qualification like Management, Chartered Accountancy, Insurance, Stock Markets, Law, Financial analysis etc
- Being a Company Secretary you will get a chance to interact with higher authorities.
- You will always be up to date with new changes that are taking place in the corporate sector.
Roles of a Company Secretary:
- To report to the Board about compliance with the provisions of the company’s Act.
- Make sure that the firm complies with the applicable secretarial standards;
- Provide guidance to the directors of the company, as they may require, with regard to their power, duties and responsibilities.
- Collaborate and advise the Board in ensuring good corporate governance and encouraging the firm to follow healthy practices
- Responsible for all regulatory compliances of company
Today, Demand for Company Secretary is on a rise in India. According to a report in Hindustan Times, there is a demand of approximately 7,000 company secretaries in India and the demand is only expected to increase in years to come. The greater demand for company secretaries is also because of the focus on good governance amongst the new-age companies and the next generation corporate leaders.
Company Secretary Pay Package
1. The Placement Cell set up at the Institute’s Headquarters, its Regional and Chapter offices, has been making constant efforts in helping the members in getting suitable placement. In recent campus interviews, the meritorious students, having become fresh Company Secretaries, were picked up by regulators and reputed companies at very attractive salaries ranging between Rs.3 lacs to Rs.5 lacs per annum.
2. Company Secretaries have been working in various positions such as Company Secretary and Executive Director or Company Secretary and Vice President or Chief Compliance Officer or Asstt. Company Secretary or Legal Officer or Company Secretary and Finance Officer etc. In the large corporate and multi-national companies they are attracting huge pay packages ranging between Rs.25 lacs and Rs.1 Crore per annum. Salary packages, of course, depend upon the capabilities and capacities of a person and vary from sector to sector. Company Secretaries also work in public sector companies in Central and State levels and also in the Union, State and Local Governments, charities and non-profit organizations.
Query Relating to Company Secretary Course Details | ICSI
We shall be pleased to clarify specific queries of students related to academic contents of study material between 2.00 p.m. to 3.00 p.m. on all working days (Monday – Friday) at 011-45341074.
Students may also write their academic queries to email@example.com
ICSI offices across India
The ICSI has its Headquarters at ICSI House 22 Institutional Area, Lodi Road, New Delhi and Regional offices at Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai & New Delhi and 69 Chapters located in various cities in India. ICSI has 66 Examination Centers scattered all over India, including one overseas center in Dubai.
A qualified Company Secretary has openings in Employment and as Practicing Independent Professional Company Secretary in Employment
- Companies with a paid up share capital of Rs.5 crore or more are compulsorily required to appoint a whole-time Company Secretary under section 383A of Companies Act,1956.
- All companies seeking to list on the Stock Exchange are required to appoint a whole-time Company Secretary
- Membership of the Institute is recognized for appointment to superior posts and services under the Central Government
- Membership of the Institute is a recognized qualification for recruitment from Grade I to Grade IV in the Accounts branch of the Indian Company Law Service.
- Almost every kind of organization whose affairs are conducted by boards, councils or other association, federation, authority, commission or like, find it useful to appoint a person who holds the qualification of Company Secretaries in key administrative position.
Self Employment (Practice)
After obtaining a ‘Certificate of Practice’ from the Institute, Members of the Institute can go for Independent Practice.
- Every company having a paid-up share capital of Rs. 10 Lakh or more but less than Rs. 5 Crore, is required to engage the services of a Secretary in Whole-time practice to obtain a compliance certificate.
- Pursuant to Clause 49 of the Listing Agreement, Practicing Company Secretaries has been authorized to issue Certificate regarding compliance of conditions of Corporate Governance as stipulated in the Clause.
- Practicing Company Secretaries have also been recognized to appear before various Tribunals such as the Company Law Board, Securities Appellate Tribunal, Competition Commission, Telecom Dispute Settlement and Appellate Tribunal, Consumer Forums, Tax Tribunals etc.,
- Recently the Reserve Bank of India has recognized the Practicing Company Secretaries to undertake Diligence Report for Banks
Company Secretary as an independent professional
- A Company Secretary in practice is recognized to issue certificates and attest documents inter alia under Companies Act, 2013
- SEBI Act, SCRA and regulations made there under Depositories Act, 1996
- Exim Policy etc.
Company Secretaries in Practice also render services in the following areas:
- Legal, Secretarial and Corporate Governance
- Corporate Restructuring
- Foreign Collaborations and Joint Ventures
- Arbitration and Conciliation
- Financial Management
- Project Planning
- Capital Market and Investor Relations
- Due Diligence
- Corporate Advisory Services
The Company Secretary Course is:
- Recognized by the various Universities for admission to PhD Course
- Appointment of Lecturers in Commerce & Management
If you need help with CS preparations, contact SuperProfs‘ CS Exam Expert. Also, you may begin your preparation with CS Demo Classes. Now students from all over India can learn from India’s Most Experienced Professors online and get their dream career.
Click Here To Watch CS FREE Demo Classes
|CS Syllabus||CS Question Paper||CS Result|
|CS Registration||CS Previous Year Paper||CS Admit Card|
|CS Exam Dates||CS Solved Paper/ Suggested Answer||CS Application Dates|