CS Course Details | How to Become Company Secretary
Company Secretary Course Details | How to Become Company Secretary | CS Course Details. In the previous post, we have given CS Study Material for CS Foundation, Executive and Professional students and Canara Bank education loan for CS students up to 10 Lac. Today we are providing Company Secretary Course Details or CS Course Details, How many stages in Company Secretary Course, Registration, Fees, Last Date, How to apply, Training details etc. There are 3 stages in Company Secretary Course i;e Foundation, Executive and Professional. So if you want to become CS, you should complete these 3 stages.
“Career as a Company Secretary is not only prestigious and financially rewarding but also carries with it a high level of job satisfaction”.
The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) is a premier National Professional body established by Act of Parliament to develop and regulate the Profession of Company Secretaries. ICSI imparts training in Company Secretaryship by Distance Learning (by correspondence) enabling students to qualify as Company Secretaries. The Institute provides “Course Material” for all the subjects at the time of Registration. There is also provision for Optional Oral Coaching classes.
The Company Secretary is:
- An in-house legal expert; a compliance officer of the Company.
- An expert in corporate laws, securities laws & capital market and corporate governance
- Chief advisor to the board of directors on best practices in corporate governance
- Responsible for all regulatory compliances of company
- Corporate planner and strategic manager
How to Become CS | CS Course Details
Stages to become a Company Secretary :
- The student who would like to join this CS Course after 10+2 has to undergo three stages to pursue the Company Secretaries Course i.e.
2. In addition, the student has to undergo Practical Training for about 15 months which a student may opt to start after passing the Executive Programme.
3. The Student who would like to join the Course after passing the Graduation (Example: B.com) has to undergo two stages of the Company Secretaryship i.e.
- Executive Programme
- Professional Programme
Besides, the student has to undergo Practical Training for about 15 months.
4. Foundation Programme which is of eight months duration can be pursued by 10+2 pass students of Arts, Science or Commerce stream.
5. Executive Programme can be pursued by a Graduate of all streams except Fine Arts.
6. Professional Programme can be pursued only after clearing the Executive Programme of CS Course.
7. Training: A Student has to undergo 15 months Management Training in Companies sponsored by the Institute after passing the Executive or Professional Programme or under the guidance of a Company Secretary in Practice.
8. After qualifying Professional Examination and on successful completion of training a candidate is admitted as an Associate Member of the ICSI and can use the letters ACS after his/her name i.e. Associate Company Secretary.
Note: Admission to the CS Course is open throughout the year. Examinations are held twice a year in June & December.
How to Register For CS Foundation | CS Course Details
There are 4 subjects in CS Foundation.
- Business Environment and Entrepreneurship
- Business Management Ethics and Communication
- Business Economics
- Fundamental of Accounting and Auditing
CS Foundation Registration is open throughout the year. Candidates registered up to and including the month of March are eligible to take Foundation examination earliest in December in the same year and those registered up to and including September can take up the examination in June next year subject to satisfactory completion of coaching. So
If you want to write CS Foundation exam in Dec 2017, you should register before 31st March 2017.
If you want to write CS Foundation exam in June 2017, you should register before 30th September 2016
CS Foundation Registration Fee Details :
CS Foundation Registration Fee
|General Students||Admission Fee/
|SC / ST Students||Admission Fee/
|50% Total Fee||2250|
|Physically Handicapped Students||Admission Fee Only||1500||1500|
What are the Documents Required For CS Foundation Registration and CS Foundation Registration Online Process: Click Here CS Foundation Course Details
How to Register For CS Executive | CS Course Details
There are 2 Modules in CS Executive. Module -I contains 4 subjects and Module – II contains 3 subjects.
- Company Accounts and Auditing Practices
- Capital Markets and Securities Laws
- Industrial, Labour and General Laws
Candidates registered as students up to and including May in a year are eligible for appearing in any one Module only of the Executive examination held in December of that year and those registered up to and including the month of November in a year are eligible for appearing in any one Module only in June examination of next year subject to completion of coaching, computer training & other requirements (as per the guidelines of the Institute) in the Module they intend to appear.
If you want to write CS Executive exam both modules in Dec 2019, you should register before 28th February 2019.
CS Executive Registration Fee Details
CS Executive Registration Fee
|CS Executive Registration Fee|
|CS Foundation Pass Student||8500||8500|
|Physically Handicapped Students||Only Registration Fee||2000|
|SC / ST Students||50% Total Fee||Commerce = 4500
Non Commerce = 5000
For Commerce / Non-Commerce, Students who passed CA CPT or ICWAI Foundation
The actual fee for Commerce graduates, Students who passed CA CPT or ICWAI Foundation is 9000/-. But recently ICSI has released a notification that CS Executive registration fees revised to Rs.12,500/- in place of Rs.9000/- with effect from 1st July, 2015. So as per new notification
|CS Executive Registration Fee|
|For Commerce Graduates, Students who passed CA CPT or ICWAI Foundation||Foundation Examination Exemption Fee + Registration Fee + Education Fee for Executive Programme||500+2000+10000||12500|
|For Non-Commerce||Postal Tuition Fee for Foundation Programme (payable by Non-Commerce Graduates who are seeking exemption from passing the Foundation Programme Examination under clause (iii) of Regulation 38.)||12500+1000||13500|
What are the Documents Required For CS Executive Registration and CS Executive Registration Online Process: Click Here CS Executive Course Details
CS Professional Registration Fee Details :
|CS Professional Registration Fee|
|General Students||Education Fee||12000||12000|
|SC / ST Students||50% Total Fee||6000||6000|
|Physically Handicapped Students||Only Registration Fee will be charged (At present, registration fee is NIL)||Nil||Nil|
CS Professional Registration Online Process: Click Here CS Professional Course Details
Medium of Examination
The Institute allows the facility to students to appear in examination in English as well as in Hindi. (Except Business Communication subject of Foundation Program)
A candidate is declared to have passed the Foundation / Executive / Professional examination if he/she secures at one sitting a minimum of 40% marks in each paper and 50% marks in the aggregate of all subjects.
Time limit for completing CS Examination
A student is required to complete the Executive and the Professional examination within the registration period. However, on payment of requisite fees, the validity of registration may be renewed/extended for a further period subject to fulfilling the applicable guidelines.
ICSI Oral Tuition Guidelines / PPT Guidelines
Salient features of the Oral Tuition Guidelines & PPP Guidelines: Under the revised guidelines 30 lectures of 2 hours duration for each subject of Foundation / 35 lectures of 2 hours duration for each subject of Executive / 40 lectures of 2 hours duration for each subject of Professional Programme has been made mandatory
Existing Practical experience and training requirements
The students are required to undergo the following training:
7 days Student Induction Programme (SIP)- within six months of Registration to Executive Programme or exempted therefrom for becoming eligible to seek enrolment to appear in Executive Program Examination.
70 hours compulsory computer training program- for becoming eligible to seek enrolment to appear in Executive Program Examination.
8 days Executive Development Programme (EDP) – after passing the Executive Programme and before the commencement of 15 months training.
25 hours of Professional Development Programme (PDP) during 15 months training
15 months training after passing the Executive Programme or Professional Programme on completion of Student Induction Program and Executive Development Program with companies and Company Secretaries in Practice registered with the Institute for imparting training
3 months practical training is required to be undergone by the student if the student completes professional program examination and exempted from undergoing at least 12 months training on the basis of Company Secretaries Regulations,1982, as amended on submitting the documents to the Institute and fulfills the requirement of Regulation 48. This training will be exempted to the students who have undergone 15 months training.
15 days training in a specialized agency such as Registrar of Companies (ROC) / Stock Exchange / Financial and Banking Institution/Management Consultancy Firm can only be commenced if the student completes SIP, EDP, 15 months training and having passed professional program examination.
15 days Management Skills Orientation Programme (MSOP)- after Professional Programme and on completion of Executive Development Program and 15 months training
1. The students can be exempted from undergoing training totally or partially depending on the practical experience possessed by them on fulfilling the requirement of the Company Secretaries
2. Regulations,1982, as amended, on submitting the relevant documents.
A student after passing the Professional Programme may enroll as ‘Licentiate ICSI’ at his/her option until completion of training requirements.
After qualifying the CS Professional Programme and on completion of training as provided under the CS Regulations, a candidate is enrolled as an Associate Member of the Institute and he can use the descriptive title “ACS” after his / her name.
Further Academic Pursuits :
- The CS course is recognized by the various Universities for admission to Ph.D. Course.
- Utilisation of services of members by various professional/educational bodies for academic activities
- ICSI conducts Post Membership Qualification (PMQ) Course in Corporate Governance.
The Headquarters and Regional Offices offer placement services to the Members of the Institute:
- Names of candidates are sponsored to prospective employers on request
- Members looking for a job may register online on the Institute’s Website: www.icsi.edu for availing Placement assistance.
- Vacancies received from companies are also displayed on the website www.icsi.edu
- Campus Interviews are conducted to assist members for job and students for 15 months training
Financial Assistance/ Scholarship
Prizes, Merit Scholarship and Merit-cum-Means Assistance
- The Institute awards Prizes, merit scholarships to the meritorious students
- Merit-cum-Means Assistance is granted to the economically weaker students
Company Secretary Pay Package
1. The Placement Cell set up at the Institute’s Headquarters, its Regional and Chapter offices, has been making constant efforts in helping the members in getting suitable placement. In recent campus interviews, the meritorious students, having become fresh Company Secretaries, were picked up by regulators and reputed companies at very attractive salaries ranging between Rs.3 lacs to Rs.5 lacs per annum.
2. Company Secretaries have been working in various positions such as Company Secretary and Executive Director or Company Secretary and Vice President or Chief Compliance Officer or Asstt. Company Secretary or Legal Officer or Company Secretary and Finance Officer etc. In the large corporates and multi-national companies, they are attracting huge pay packages ranging between Rs. Twenty-Five lacs and Rs. One Crore per annum. Salary packages, of course, depend upon the capabilities and capacities of a person and vary from sector to sector. Company Secretaries also work in public sector companies at Central and State levels and also in the Union, State and Local Governments, charitable and non-profit organizations.
Role of a Company Secretary :
Behind Great Corporate Progress, there’s a strong backbone: The Company Secretary-
By virtue of integrated knowledge of multiple disciplines of law, management, finance and corporate governance, a Company Secretary is the vital link between the company, it is:
– Board of Directors,
– Government and other Agencies.
ICSI offices across India
The ICSI has its Headquarters at ICSI House 22 Institutional Area Lodi Road New Delhi and Regional offices at Mumbai, Kolkata, Chennai & New Delhi and 69 Chapters located in various cities in India. ICSI has 66 Examination Centres scattered all over India including one overseas center at Dubai.
A qualified Company Secretary has openings in Employment and as Practising Independent Professional Company Secretary in Employment
- Companies with a paid up share capital of Rs.5 crore or more are compulsorily required to appoint a whole-time Company Secretary under section 383A of Companies Act,1956.
- All companies seeking to list on Stock Exchange are required to appoint a whole-time Company Secretary
- Membership of the Institute is recognized for appointment to superior posts and services under Central Government
- Membership of the Institute is a recognized qualification for recruitment from Grade I to Grade IV in the Accounts branch of the Indian Company Law Service.
- Almost every kind of organization whose affairs are conducted by boards, councils or other association, federation, authority, commission or like, finds it useful to appoint a person who holds the qualification of Company Secretaries in key administrative position.
Self Employment (Practice)
After obtaining a ‘Certificate of Practice’ from the Institute, Members of the Institute can go for Independent Practice.
- Every company having a paid-up share capital of Rs. 10 Lakh or more but less than Rs. 5 Crore, is required to engage the services of a Secretary in Whole-time practice to obtain a compliance certificate.
- Pursuant to Clause 49 of the Listing Agreement, Practising Company Secretaries have been authorized to issue Certificate regarding compliance of conditions of Corporate Governance as stipulated in the Clause.
- Practising Company Secretaries have also been recognized to appear before various Tribunals such as Company Law Board, Securities Appellate Tribunal, Competition Commission, Telecom Dispute Settlement and Appellate Tribunal, Consumer Forums, Tax Tribunals etc.,
- Recently the Reserve Bank of India has recognized the Practising Company Secretaries to undertake Diligence Report for Banks
Company Secretary as an independent professional
- A Company Secretary in practice is recognized to issue certificates and attest documents inter alia under Companies Act, 2013
- SEBI Act, SCRA, and regulations made there under Depositories Act, 1996
- Exim Policy etc.
Company Secretaries in Practice also render services in the following areas:
- Legal, Secretarial and Corporate Governance
- Corporate Restructuring
- Foreign Collaborations and Joint Ventures
- Arbitration and Conciliation
- Financial Management
- Project Planning
- Capital Market and Investor Relations
- Due Diligence
- Corporate Advisory Services
The CS Course is :
- recognized by the various Universities for admission to Ph.D. Course
- appointment of Lecturers in Commerce & Management
SuperProfs– India’s Largest Online Coaching Platform is offering FREE CS Online Classes for CS Aspirants. Now students from all over India can learn from India’s Most Experienced Professors online and get their dream career of CS.