Company Secretary is basically the key role who acts as an intermediary between the corporate entity and the various outsiders such as the Government. Thereby lie great opportunities for a CS in terms of career. This article tends to give an idea about the CS course details pertaining to the following –
- CS Exam Registration
- CS Exam Eligibility
- CS Exam fees Structure
- CS Cut off dates
- CS Exam Time duration and Qualifying marks
- CS Syllabus and Subjects
About CS examination – Registration
To become a Company Secretary, a candidate has to register with the Institute of Company Secretaryship of India (ICSI), which is the statutory professional body that conducts the exams for the same. There are 3 levels of the exam, the Foundation level, the Executive and the Professional level. A candidate can register for the foundation level after completing their 12th, while a graduate degree holder (non-Fine-arts background) can register directly for the executive level and those having completed the Executive level can register for the Professional level of the exam.
Once registered for the particular level of the exam, the ICSI delivers the course materials via post. There is also a student login platform that is provided by the ICSI, where all updates, e-learning facilities, forums, etc. can be availed. Upon successfully completing all the 3 levels of the CS course, the candidate is declared to be a Company Secretary and is eligible to work as a CS in any organization.
- CS Foundation program – Candidates with 10 +2 pass or equivalent students except Fine-Arts can pursue the level.
- CS Executive program –Candidates who are graduates of all streams, except Fie-Arts can directly pursue the Executive level.
- CS Professional Level – Candidates who have passed the Executive level can only pursue the Professional level program.
CS Fee structure
- Foundation level – Fee for registration is Rs.4500; Examination fee is Rs. 1200
- Executive level –
- Fee for Commerce students is Rs. 9000;
- Fee for CPT passed of ICAI / Foundation passed of ICAI-CMA is Rs. 12500;
- Fee for non-commerce students is Rs.10000
- Fee for Foundation pass students is Rs. 8500
- There is an additional examination fee of Rs.1200 for each module.
- Professional program – Fee is Rs. 12000 with an additional Rs. 1200 examination fee for each module.
The above fees include the fee for course study materials as well.
CS Cut-off dates 2020:
CS Exam Cut off Dates 2020
|Modules||December Attempt – Same Year||June Attempt – Next Year|
|CS Foundation||31st March||30th September|
|CS Executive||Both Modules||28th February||31st August|
|Single Module||31st May||30th November|
The examinations are conducted twice every year and the respective cut-off dates are as follows:
- For Foundation program
- 31st of March for appearing in the December examination of the same year.
- 30th of September for appearing in the June examinations the next year.
- For Executive program
- 28th of February for appearing in both modules in December exams the same year.
- 31st of May for appearing one module in the December exams the same year.
- 31st of August for appearing in both modules in June exam in the next year.
- 30th November for appearing in one module in June exams the next year.
- The last date for submission of applications is 25th March, with a late fee of Rs.250 till 9th April; and 25th September, with a late fee of Rs.250 till 10th October.
CS course details – Time duration and Qualifying marks:
Initially, upon registration, the student is given a period of 5 years duration to complete the Executive and Professional levels of the CS course. This can be extended or renewed further through re-registration procedure upon complying with certain criteria and paying the requisite fee. The student has to secure 40% of marks in every paper and 50% on the aggregate of all subjects to be declared to have qualified each level of the exam.
CS Latest (updated) Syllabus and Subjects
The following are the subjects included in the Foundation program:
- Business Law and Environment
- Business Management, Ethics & Entrepreneurship
- Business Economics
- Fundamentals of Accounting And Auditing
Subjects in the Executive program (with effect from 1st March 2018)
- Module 1:
- Jurisprudence, Interpretation & General Laws
- Company Law
- Setting Up of Business Entities and Closure
- Tax Laws
- Module 2:
- Corporate & Management Accounting
- Securities Laws & Capital Markets
- Economic, Business and Commercial Laws
- Financial and Strategic Management
Subjects in Professional Program (New Syllabus):
- Module 1:
- Governance, Risk Management, Compliances And Ethics
- Advanced Tax Laws
- Drafting, Pleadings and Appearances
- Module 2:
- Secretarial Audit
- Corporate Restructuring
- Resolution of Corporate Disputes
- Module 3:
- Corporate Funding & Listings in Stock Exchanges
- Multidisciplinary Case Studies
- Electives 1 out of below 8 Subjects (The Examination will be Open Book Examination)
- Banking Law And Practice
- Insurance Law And Practice
- Intellectual Property Rights– Laws And Practices
- Forensic Audit
- Direct Tax Law & Practice
- Labour Laws & Practice
- Valuations & Business Modeling
- Insolvency – Law And Practice
For detailed syllabus of the course, the student may visit the official website of the ICSI – https://www.icsi.edu/media/webmodules/student/EXEC_PROF_SYLLEBUS.pdf
CS course details – The CS Integrated Course
There is another path available for those students who prefer to pursue the course on a full-time basis. It is currently the 6th batch (2019-2021) of the ICSI-Integrated course that is to be inducted this year. It is a full-time non-residential 3-year course including one year of training. There is an intake of 50 students in every batch and the course is conducted at ICSI – Centre for Corporate Governance, Research develop a holistic perspective towards decision and Training (CCGRT), Navi Mumbai.
Eligibility for CS Exam:
- A candidate who is less than 26 years old as of July 1, 2019
- A graduate with minimum 50% marks or they should have passed the CS-Foundation level of ICSI, ICMAI or ICAI.
- The candidates are selected on the basis of an online entrance test, Group discussion and Personal Interview.
CS Exam Fees:
- The total fees for the 2 academic years are Rs.4,00,000, which includes the fees for Executive level of Rs.2,00,000 and fees for the Professional level of Rs.2,00,000. The fees can be paid on installment basis as well.
An important feature of this Integrated-course is the additional placement assistance that will be provided by the ICSI. For more details on this, you can visit: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1HNriie3kC1NNkkIw0mWZfKOHBXLxeN63/view
For further details on the preparation strategy, tips, syllabus, etc., you may visit: https://blog.superprofs.com/cs/how-to-clear-cs-exam-in-the-first-attempt/
You can watch a few demo lectures by SuperProfs for CS and see if you would want to consider subscribing to our video series for a better shot at clearing the CS examination.