CS Professional Study Plan
These exams are held twice a year during the months of June and December itself. The Institute of Company Secretaries of India (ICSI) has introduced a new syllabus for the C.S. Professional Stage which is applicable from the June 2019 exams itself.
The new syllabus has in totality three modules, each module consisting of three papers. Out of the total nine papers, two papers are open book based examinations namely Paper 8 and Paper 9.
About CS Professional
C. S. Professional is the final stage which an aspirant must clear before being awarded the prestigious degree. Before appearing for the C.S. Professional exams, the foundation as well as the executive stage has to be successfully cracked.
In this article we will be discussing what the ideal study plan must be to maximise the chances of passing C.S. Professional Programme in the first attempt.
Psychological Preparation for the Exams
The factor that defines a successful person is the possession of winning mentality. One must always keep in mind that he/she should continue to work hard and strive for success in a manner similar to what they had adapted while clearing the Executive Programme.
Even if one’s Executive result wasn’t up to the mark, one must know that it all boils down to what one achieves in the Professional Programme of the C.S. curriculum. So one must consider it a fresh start and give it their all.
Study Plan for CS Professional Exams
1.. Firstly, one must sit down and decide calmly how many modules one wants to appear in the relevant term. Appearing for all the three modules together is both challenging and rewarding. It would require much more effort to appear for all the three modules together but that would make one eligible to secure an All India Rank too. Appearing for individual modules provides one enough time to study and revise accordingly. However time management is an art which would be the key to pass this exam.
2.. One must refer to the study material provided by the institute for the relevant subjects rather than going for various notes of private tutors. It is essential to know that the questions will be asked from the study material only and the answers which reflect the study material will always hold topmost priority.
3.. Solving the Scanner and the Practise Manual is a must where one wants to strengthen their preparation. It has been observed a lot of times that the questions are directly asked from the practise manuals and scanner itself, so that could add around fifteen to twenty marks in one’s total score.
4.. C. S. Professional Study Plan Assuming one Wants to Appear for a Single Module: In this case, one has enough time to prepare for the three subjects of the relevant module one has chosen to appear for.
- Firstly one must calmly go through the study material and should make sure that each and every topic is covered properly and one must not skip any topic at all. Depending upon one’s field of interest and weakness, there will be certain portions which one may not feel comfortable studying and learning, but one must remember the idea is to convert one’s weakness into strength.
- After completing each chapter one must go through the practise manual, scanner and refer the relevant chapter to make sure the coverage is maximum.
- The practise of writing always helps in theoretical subjects. It helps one maintain their writing speed and memorise topics easily which are massively important in the examination hall.
- The aim must be to complete the syllabus at least two and a half months prior to the exam. This leaves us with at least one and a half month for revision. During this phase one must only focus on the exams and keep revising from the study material, write ups, practise manuals and scanner.
5.. C. S. Professional Study Plan Assuming One Wants to Appear for Two Modules: Once again, time will not be an issue while preparing for two modules, discipline will. One has to maintain discipline throughout for better preparation.
- One must devote equal time to each subject. The ideal mix would be to prepare two subjects simultaneously and after completing both the subjects one must proceed further with two more subjects. This way efficiency remains is maintained.
- Revision while preparation should be practised from the beginning as one may not have enough time to devote for revision before the exams. Therefore revision will ensure that one doesn’t lose grip of covered topics.
- Once again, practise manual and scanner play an important role during the preparatory phase; one must ensure that the syllabus should be completed at least one and a half months prior to the exams.
- Practising writing every day will always be very crucial for preparation and hence the same should be resorted to accordingly.
6.. C. S. Professional Study Plan Assuming One Wants to Appear for All the Modules: Here, one must firstly realise that a lot of smart effort will be required to cover the syllabus. Continuous effort on a daily basis will be required throughout. Discipline and time management will be play the anchor role throughout.
One must choose three subjects and aim to complete the same within two months, devoting at least three hours a day per subject. Simultaneously practise manuals and scanner should be referred to.
- One day of a week must be chosen when no new topic shall be covered, the entire weeks coverage shall be revised. This day plays a very important role in one’s preparation considering the importance of revision should never be stressed enough.
- Daily writing shall be emphasized and shall be a habit of the student. One must also keep themselves motivated throughout to ensure continuity in preparation.
- One must aim to complete the syllabus at least a month before the exams and one must reserve the remaining 30 days into 3 slots of 9 days where one must spend 9 days to complete revision of each module. The remaining three days shall be kept to study the first two papers. This is just an example of time management, one may resort to any strategy one feels comfortable abiding to.
- It is necessary to remember that in moments of emotional breakdown, all of us have faced such moments of indecision and dispiritedness. What matters more is to continue on the chosen path and remember smooth seas have never made a skilled sailor.
- Realistically writing, mental preparedness plays a much more important role than the academic effort. Proper mind set will push one to work hard despite all challenges.
Few Important Links for CS students
|CS Syllabus||CS Question Paper||CS Result|
|CS Registration||CS Previous Year Paper||CS Admit Card|
|CS Exam Dates||CS Solved Paper/ Suggested Answer||CS Application Dates|
You can watch a few demo lectures by SuperProfs for CS and see if you would want to consider subscribing to our video series for a better shot at clearing the CS examination.