Current Affairs – March 2016
Current Affairs – March 2016
WEEKLY CURRENT AFFAIRS 1-7th March, 2016
- Mahesh Kumar Singla Committee has been set up to consider ST status to six communities of Assam
- The committee will be headed by Special Secretary (Internal Security) Ministry of Home Affairs, Mahesh Kumar Singla.
- The committee will recommend the modalities for granting of Scheduled Tribe status to six Communities namely Koch Rajbongshi, Moran, Matak, Tai Ahom, Chutia and Adivasi (Tea Tribes) in Assam.
- The committee will consult with the Government of Assam and suggest the modalities for the required reservations, of shifting the existing reservation for these communities from OBC to ST.
2.Armaan Ebrahim from India has won the 2015 FMSCI Motorsports Man of the Year Trophy
- Car racer Armaan Ebrahim on 28 February 2016 was awarded the Motorsports Man-of-the-Year Trophy at ceremony organised by the Federation of Motor Sports Clubs of India (FMSCI).
- Armaan walked away with the glittering ‘Raymond Gautam Singhania Rolling Trophy’ and a cash prize of Rs 2,00,000 for his performance in the Lamborghini Blancpain Super Trofeo Asia Series.
- He was awarded the trophy by FMSCI chairman Vijay Mallya.
3.Hashim Thaci has been elected as the new President of the Republic of Kosovo
- Foreign Minister Hashim Thaci was on 26 February 2016 elected as president of Kosovo by the Members of Parliament amid the protests.
- He succeeded Atifete Jahjaga as head of state after winning the required simple majority in voting held in Pristina.
4.Rozle Prezelj – the new chairman of International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Athletes’ Commission
- Slovenian high-jumper Rozle Prezelj on 27 February 2016 was elected as the Chairman of the International Association of Athletics Federations (IAAF) Athletes’ Commission in Monaco.
- Prezelj took over as Chairman of the commission from Frank Fredericks with immediate effect.
5.Rahul Sachdev has won the first All India Open Invitational Snooker Championship 2016
- Rahul Sachdev, former National 6 Reds runner-up, has won the first All India Open Invitational Snooker Championship 2016 that is held in Aurangabad, Maharashtra
- In the final, Rahul defeated Pushpender Singh of Railways.
6.7th Lamitye Military Exercise ends
- The 7th joint military exercise between India and Seychelles military forces came to a close on 28-feb-2016 at victoria mahe island in seychelles with a final attack scenario where suspected pirates had escaped at Cap Ternay.
- India and Seychelles have been conducting joint drill ‘Exercise Lamitye’ since 2001. Lamitye which means friendship in Creole (local dialect), is conducted biennially with the aim of enhancing military cooperation and interoperability between the two countries
- It will be incorporating a tactical exercise and will be witnessed by senior military officers from both the countries who will review the standards of interoperability achieved by both the contingents.
7.#Position Of Strength campaign has been launched by Twitter for women empowerment in India
- Twitter has launched “#Position Of Strength” campaign for women empowerment to raise voices against any form of discrimination in India.
- The purpose of the campaign is to spread awareness to bridge the gender equality gap online in India and inspire the next generation of women leaders to have an influential voice in society.
8.India Inks $3.1 Billion Deals For Apache and Chinook Helicopters With US
- Indian Defence Ministry has issued an order worth Rs 22,000 crores for purchase of helicopters, CH-47 Chinook and AH-64 Apache, which will be inducted in the forces soon.
- Ministry had totalling Rs 22,000 crores, has been placed for the purchase of these choppers, which will strengthen the capabilities of country’s defence forces.
9.Former Chief Justice Of India H.L. Dattu Joined NHRC As Chairperson
- Former Chief Justice of India H L Dattu took charge as the Chairperson of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
- He is the 7th Chairperson of the NHRC. His appointment announced under the Protection of Human Rights Act, 1993, by the President on the recommendation of the high powered committee headed by the Prime Minister for the tenure of 5 years.
- The former Chief Justice Of India (CJI) took over the position from Justice C Joseph, who has been the acting chairperson since the end of the five-year term of former chairperson K G Balakrishnan.
10.Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain takes Over as Chief Of Staff, Eastern Naval Command
- Vice Admiral Atul Kumar Jain took over as the Chief of Staff of the Visakhapatnam.
- He succeeds Vice Admiral Bimal Verma who has been transferred as Commander-in-Chief of Andaman & Nicobar Command at Port Blair.
11.UltraTech acquired cement units of Jaiprakash Associates
- Aditya Birla Group firm UltraTech has announced the acquisition of debt-ridden JP Group’s cement plants for Rs 16,500 crore, making it the biggest deal in the sector.
12.1st Raisina Dialogue Inaugurated By Sushma Swaraj In New Delhi
- External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj has inaugurated the 1st Raisina Dialogue in New Delhi.
- Envisioned as India’s flagship conference of geopolitics and geoeconomics, the Raisina Dialogue 2016 is designed to explore prospects and opportunities for Asian integration.
- The conclave has focused on Asia’s physical, economic, human and digital connectivity. The important delegates who attend the conference are former president of Sri Lanka Chandrika Bandaranaike Kumaratunga and former president of Afghanistan Hamid Karzai.
13.Mukesh Ambani Again Tops 84 Indian Billionaires in Forbes List
- Mukesh Ambani Reliance Industries chairman again topped 84 Indian billionaires in Forbes 2016 list of the world’s richest people. once again headed by Bill Gates with a net worth of $75 billion.
- Mukesh Ambani with a net worth of $19.3 billion was ranked 36th among world’s 1,810 billionaires with an aggregate net worth of $6.48 trillion, down from $7.05 trillion last year.
- United states led with the greatest number of billionaires, with 540, followed by China with 251, Germany with 120, India with 84 and Russia with 77.
14.Sanjeev Kapoor joins Vistara as Chief Strategy and Commercial Officer
- Sanjiv Kapoor has been appointed as the Chief Strategy and Commercial Officer of Vistara Airlines.
- Kapoor will be responsible for managing a wide portfolio of Vistara commercial and planning functions, including strategy development, network planning, pricing and revenue management, sales and distribution, among others.
15.TCS Recognized As Top Global Employer
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), a leading IT services company has been recognized as a Global Top Employer by the Top Employers Institute.
- This certification is only awarded to the best employers around the world organisations that demonstrate the highest standards of employee offerings.
- Others in the list include CJSC Technip, DHL, Dimension data, Saint Gobain, JT International, Mobinil, Mobistar, Orange and Valeo.
16.The International Finance Corporation (IFC), the investment arm of the World Bank has launched its first Uridashi Masala Bonds (Japanese bonds)
- These masala bonds were launched to mobilise 30 crore rupees from Japanese retail investors and will be sold to Japanese household investors
- The proceeds from these bonds will be used for promoting private sector development in India.
17.Stand Out is the theme of the 2016 Zero Discrimination Day
- The Zero Discrimination Day is observed on March 1 every year to promote diversity and recognizes that everyone counts.
- The 2016 theme is “Stand Out” and encourages everyone to stand for fair and just societies.
18.Mega Military Exercise Of ASEAN Plus Countries Begins In Pune
- The theme of the exercise is `Humanitarian Mine Action’ (HMA) and `Peacekeeping Operations’ (PKO).
- The multinational mega Military Exercise Force 18 conducted by Indian Army has started in Pune, Maharashtra from 2nd March.
- Participating ASEAN countries along with ASEAN Plus nations are India, Australia, Japan, New Zealand, China, South Korea, Russia and US . The ten ASEAN countries from Southeast Asia are Brunei, Cambodia, Laos, Indonesia, Malaysia, Myanmar, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
19.Parliament passes Carriage by Air amendment Bill, 2015
- Parliament has passed the Carriage by Air (Amendment) Bill, 2015 to empower Union government to revise the limits of liability for airlines and compensation as per the Montreal Convention which India accepted in 2009.
- The bill was first passed by the Lok Sabha in December 2015 and later it was passed by the Rajya in March 2016.
20.India Ranks 90 In Terms Of Energy Security
- India has been ranked at the 90th place in a list of 126 countries in terms of Energy Security compiled by World Economic Forum (WEF).
- The list is topped by Switzerland followed by Norway on the basis of the ability to deliver secure, affordable and sustainable energy.
- It was revealed by Global Energy Architecture Performance Index (GEAPI) and Report compiled by WEF.
21.Chennai Gets India’s First Self Cleaning Smart Toilets
- A total of 183 self cleaning public e-Toilets have been installed in the Chennai City. Chennai is the 1st city in India to gets smart Toilets.
- Each toilet automatically cleans itself before entry and after use and sensors enable consumption of less water and power with each use.
22.Three British scientists win 2016 Brain Prize
- Three British scientists have won a prestigious 2016 Grete Lundbeck European Brain Research Prize (also known as Brain Prize) for giving vital insight how the human brain remembers, learns and navigates.
- These scientists are Timothy Bliss: He is a visiting worker at the Crick Institute in London. Graham Collingridge: He is professor of neuroscience in anatomy at the University of Bristol. He is also head of the Department of Physiology at the University of Toronto. Richard Morris: He is a professor of neuroscience at the University of Edinburgh
23.Ratan Thiyam will be conferred with a Lifetime Achievement Award of the Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards (META)
- The renowned playwright and director Ratan Thiyam will be conferred with a Lifetime Achievement Award in the 11th edition of the Mahindra Excellence in Theatre Awards (META) 2016
- Thiyam, theatre guru and current chairman of the National School of Drama, has been selected for creating a new language in theatre and enriching the art form in various roles as writer, director, designer, composer and choreographer.
24.Bhagwati Lal Vyas has been chosen for the 2015 Bihari Puraskar
- The renowned poet Dr.Bhagwati Lal Vyas has been chosen for the 2015 Bihari Puraskar for his anthology of Rajasthani poems “Katha Sun Aawe Hai Sabad”.
- The award is instituted by the K K Birla Foundation in 1991 and is given annually for an outstanding literary work in Hindi or Rajasthani published during last 10 years by a Rajasthani writer
25. India’s first Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccination programme has been launched by Delhi
- Delhi has become the first Indian state to launch Human Papillomavirus (HPV) vaccine as a public health programme for school children.
- The HPV vaccine protects people against the group of 150-odd HPVs, some of which can cause cervical cancer.
26.Jerry Pinto has won the 2016 Windham-Campbell in the fiction category
- The Indian columnist and author Jerry Pinto has won the 2016 Windham-Campbell Prize for his novel “Em and The Big Hoom” in the fiction category at the Yale University, United States
- Apart from him, the other winners in the fiction category are Tessa Hadley and C.E. Morgan.
27.In India, The National Safety Day is observed on March 4th
- The National Safety Day/ Week Campaign is observed in India every year on March 4 to highlight the importance of Safety in all spheres of life so as to prevent mishaps and accidents resulting out of neglect or lack of awareness.
- The 2016 theme is “Strengthen Safety Movement to Achieve Zero Harm”.
- Manoj Kumar has been conferred with 47th Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2015
- The veteran Film Actor and Director Manoj Kumar has been conferred with the 47th Dadasaheb Phalke Award for the year 2015 for his outstanding contribution to the growth and development of Indian Cinema.
- The Dadasaheb Phalke award is India’s highest award in cinema. Last year, the Dadasaheb Phalke award was given to Shashi Kapoor.
- Former Lok Sabha Speaker PA Sangma passes away
- Former Lok Sabha Speaker Purno Agitok Sangma passed away on march 4th 2015 after suffering a heart attack in New Delhi. He was 68.
- One of the greatest leaders from Northeast in national politics, he has been elected to the Lok Sabha eight times since 1977.
- Indian government set to digitally connect all post offices in rural areas in the country by March 2017
- The Indian government is digitally connecting all 1,29,323 gramin dak sewak post offices in rural areas across the country by March 2017
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
- Chapchar Kut festival is celebrated in Mizoram state.
- The traditional festival Chapchar Kut of the Mizos is celebrated across the north-eastern state of Mizoram and also in the Mizo-inhabited areas in the neighbouring states. It is a spring festival celebrated during March after completion of their most arduous task of Jhum operation i.e., jungle-clearing (clearing of the remnants of burning) with great fervor and gaiety.
- Indian-American Sunil Sabharwal took charge as Alternate Executive Director at IMF
- Independent investor Sunil Sabharwal has become the first Indian-American to take charge as an Alternate Executive Director at International Monetary Fund (IMF).
- Jitu Rai wins Gold medal in 50m pistol event at ISSF World Cup
- Ace Indian shooter Jitu Rai has won Gold medal in the 50m Pistol Men final event at the International Shooting Sports Federation (ISSF) World Cup held in Bangkok, Thailand.
- This win is considered as a stage of success for Jitu Rai, who is the winner of the 2014 Asian Games. He is currently ranked 5th in the world in the 50m Pistol Men’s event.
- Alappuzha Backwaters To Get India’s First Solar powered Ferry
- A 75-seater solar-powered passenger ferry, the first of its kind in the country, is quietly taking shape at Aroor in Alappuzha district.The boat is expected to be commissioned within the next three months.
- This boat is being built by NavAlt, a Kochi-based joint venture, in collaboration with a French company.
- The world’s most expensive train station has been opened in New York city
- The world’s most expensive train station has been opened in New York, United States.
- The station is designed by Santiago Calatrava, the Spanish-Swiss architect, who called it a gift of love to the city.
- The Setu Bharatam project has been launched to make all national highways free of Railway crossings
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently launched Setu Bharatam project to make all national highways free of Railway crossings by 2019.
- This project will be implemented by the Union Ministry of Road Transport and Highways and more than Rs. 50 thousand crore will be spent on the project.
- Kerala Government has taken first of its kind initiative by launching the Air Ambulance
- The Air Ambulance in Kerala will exclusively be used for the speedy organ transplant.
- A memorandum of understanding (MoU) signed regarding the Air Ambulance in Kerala took place between the Aviation Academy and the Kerala Network for Organ Sharing that was headed by the principal of the state-run Thiruvananthapuram Medical College.
- Napoleon Singh, the Indian umpire has been promoted as the International Umpire by the International Hockey Federation (FIH)
- Hockey India national-level umpire Napoleon Singh has been promoted to the International Outdoor Umpire by the International Hockey Federation (FIH).
- He has been selected after seeing his performance in the recently-concluded 12th South Asian Games 2016.
- Flipkart launches Commerce Advertising Platform
- Leading e-commerce company Flipkart launched its own advertising platform called Brand Story Ads, with over 50 leading brands on board
- With the launch of Brand Story Ads, Flipkart has introduced a new form of advertising called – Commerce Advertising.
- Yes Bank, L’Oreal, Micromax, Intel, Gillette, Datsun and Sony have signed up with Flipkart to launch their ads campaigns on the platform.
40.Veteran AIFB leader Chief Ashok Ghosh passed away
- Veteran All India Forward Bloc (AIFB) leader and senior-most leader of the Left Front in West Bengal, Ashok Ghosh passed away recently. He was 94.
- Mr. Ghosh’s most significant contribution to the Bengal’s Left movement was destabilising the Congress by forging an anti-Congress alliance, much before the CPI (M)-led Left Front came to power in West Bengal.
- Paramesh Krishnan Nair, India’s pioneering film archivist passed away
- He was the founder and former director of the National Film Archive of India (NFAI), Pune.
- He was instrumental in archiving several landmark Indian films like Dadasaheb Phalke’s Raja Harishchandra and Kaliya Mardan, Bombay Talkies films such as Jeevan Naiya, Bandhan, Kangan, Achhut Kanya and Kismet, S.S. Vasan’s Chandralekha and Uday Shankar’s Kalpana.
- River Information System is launched to control Inland Waterways Traffic
- The Government has launched a River Information System (RIS) between Haldia and Farakka stretch of the National Waterway-1 (NW-1) on 06.01.2016.
- RIS aims to streamline the exchange of information between waterway operators, regulators and users.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated the first National conference of Women legislators
- The theme of the national conference is “Building Resurgent India”.
- The Speaker of Bangladesh Dr. Shirin Chaudhury was the chairperson of the plenary session.
- The basic purpose of the conference is to tell women legislators how can they contribute in nation-building.
44.Shantanu Guha Ray has authored the book titled “Fixed! Cash and Corruption in Cricket”
- The book titled “Fixed! Cash and Corruption in Cricket” has been authored by Journalist Shantanu Guha Ray.
- The book examines the allegations of corruption against players, cricket administrators and bookies alike.
- India wins 2016 Asia Cup T20 trophy
- India has won the 2016 Asia Cup T20 trophy for a record sixth time after beating Bangladesh by 8 wickets in the final.
- It was the fifth to be held in Bangladesh and the first to be played using the T20I format. In this edition of Asia Cup T20 trophy 5 teams had participated including India, Bangladesh, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, United Arab Emirates (Qualifier).
- After India, Sri Lanka has won the continental title 5 times followed by Pakistan twice.
- Patna Pirates wins 3rd season of Pro Kabaddi League
- Patna Pirates has won the third season of Star Sports Pro Kabaddi League (PKL) by defeating U Mumba by 31-28 score in the thrilling 40 minute play.
- PKL is a professional Kabaddi (indigenous sport) league based on the format of the Indian Premier League (IPL) T20 cricket tournament.
- The first edition of the tournament was played in 2014 with eight franchises representing various cities in India. It was won by Jaipur Pink.
47.Myanmar has granted operating license for SBI
- SBI was granted operating licence by Myanmar Government along with three other Asian banks.
- The other banks are Bank for Investment and Development of Vietnam, Sun Commercial Bank of Taiwan and Shinhan Bank of South Korea.
- With this, total 13 foreign banks have now been given permission to operate inside the Myanmar so far in an attempt to attract overseas investment to the emergent nation.
48.The Mumbai U-23 cricket team has won the 2015-16 Col CK Nayudu Trophy
- The Mumbai U-23 cricket team defeated Madhya Pradesh under-23 cricket team in the final match played at Holkar Stadium, and won the Col CK Nayudu Trophy for the season 2015-16.
- This is the Mumbai’s 2nd big title of the season after they had won the 2016 Ranji Trophy.
- The official New Associate Sponsor Of BCCI is named as PepsiCo
- Beverage giants PepsiCo has named as the new associate sponsor of BCCI
- BCCI has named it as BCCI’s official associate sponsor for all international matches in India.
- The board of Reserve Bank of India has appointed TCS chief N Chandrasekaran as Non official Director
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) CEO and managing director Natarajan Chandrasekaran and two others were appointed as non-official directors to the board of Reserve Bank of India (RBI).
- The Reserve Bank’s affairs are governed by a central board of directors. The board is appointed by the government of India.
- There can be ten non-official directors from various fields and two government officials.
- Stevie Wonder has won the Global Green Hero award at the 13th Annual Global Green USA pre-Oscar party
- The renowned singer Stevie Wonder has been honoured with Global Green Hero award at the 13th Annual Global Green USA Pre Oscar party.
- His hit songs are “Living in the City”, “Boogie on a Reggae Woman”, etc.
- The first woman to lead Indian Army contingent at a multinational military exercise “Force 18” by Sofia Qureshi
- Lieutenant Colonel Sofia Qureshi has become the first woman officer to lead Indian Army contingent at a multinational military exercise “Force 18” which is going on in Pune, Maharashtra from March 2 to 8, 2016.
- The exercise is hosted by the Indian Army and in it 18 countries which include ASEAN countries and countries including China, USA, Russia, Japan and South Korea are participating.
- Donald patrick “Pat” conroy, new york times’ author passed away
- Donald Patrick “Pat” Conroy was a New York Times bestselling author who has written several acclaimed novels and memoirs.
- Two of his novels, The Prince of Tides and The Great Santini, were made into Oscar-nominated films
- UNICEF and UNHCR have launched Blue Dot hubs to boost protection for children and families
- The United Nations Children’s Emergency Fund (UNICEF) and the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR) have launched “Blue Dot hubs” to boost protection for children and families on the move across Europe.
- The hubs will be located in select strategic sites like border entry/exit points, registration sites, some strategic urban centres, etc.
- Dr. Sirshendu De has been chosen for Innovation Award 2016
- Dr. Sirshendu De, Professor of the Chemical Engineering department of the IIT, Kharagpur, has been selected for the Innovation Award 2016 for developing low cost eco-friendly laterite based arsenic filter for providing safe drinking water for less than 3 paise per litre.
- The award will be given by Indian Desalination Association (South Zone)for this technology.
- India’s first Small Finance Bank (SFB) will be Capital Local Area Bank Ltd
- The Jalandhar-based Capital Local Area Bank Ltd (CLABL) will become the India’s first small area finance bank (SFB) by flagging-off its operations on April 13, 2016.
- The small bank will launch operations under a new name “Capital Small Finance Bank Limited”.
- The small finance bank will undertake basic banking activities of acceptance of deposits and lending to unserved and underserved sections including small business units, marginal farmers and unorganised sector entities.
- Veteran Raymond Tomlinson, E – mail inventor passed away
- Raymond Samuel Tomlinson (74), the inventor of modern email and a technological leader, has passed away in Washington, United States.
58.The “Mahila E-HAAT” has been launched by the ministry of women and child development
- The Women and Child Development Ministry has launched an online marketing platform “Mahila E-HAAT” to facilitate women entrepreneurs to sell their products to buyers.
- The purpose of the facility is to bring buyers and sellers onto one platform. By this portal, women can sell their products like clothes, bags and jewelleries,
- Gyan Sangam: 3rd Phase of Bank Reforms to Focus on Bad Loan
- With mounting bad loans, the second edition of the Finance Ministry’s brain storming session with public sector banks focused on management of non-performing assets and consolidation in the sector
- The agenda would include- Restructuring and mergers and acquisitions of banks, NPA management and recovery, Technology, digital and financial inclusion, Credit growth, and Risk management.
- American Actress Nancy Reagan passed away
- Nancy Davis Reagan was an American actress and the wife of the 40th President of the United States, Ronald Reagan.
- The National Special Olympics for special children was organized in shimla
- The National Special Olympics for special children was organized at Narkanda slopes in Shimla district, Himachal Pradesh.
- The annual sports event was organized by Special Olympics Bharat. The winners of this event would participate in world winter games to be held in Austria from 14th to 25th March, 2016.
- Air India has operated the world’s longest all-women crew international flight
- Air India, India’s national carrier airline, has operated the longest all-women crew flight from New Delhi to San Francisco.
- The flight “AI 173” returned to New Delhi on March 8,2016 to commemorate the International Women’s Day. In 1985, Air India became the first carrier in the world to operate an all-women crew.
63.Mrugank Paranjape Appointed As MCX MD
- Multi Commodity Exchange announced the appointment of Mrugank Paranjape as MD & CEO of the exchange.
- He will succeed Manoj Vaish. The exchange has also re designated Parveen Kumar Singhal, the present Joint Managing Director as President & Whole Time Director with effect from April 1. The appointment will be for a period of three years and subject to prior approval from SEBI
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
Weekly Current AFFAIRS 8th-14th Mar, 2016
- International Women’s Day observed on March 8th across the world.
- This year’s theme for the Day is “Planet 50-50 by 2030: Step It Up for Gender Equality”. The campaign theme for the day is #Pledge For Parity
- 2016 International Women’s Day (IWD) was observed in India by conferring the Nari Shakti Awards by President Pranab Mukherjee at Rashtrapati Bhawan
- On the other hand, the day was observed in different states of India in different ways like around 40 acid attack survivors were felicitated with the Rani Laxmi Bai award and provided financial assistance in Uttar Pradesh
- Dr. Amrita Patel was conferred with Mahindra lifetime achievement award
- Dr Amrita Patel was conferred prestigious 2016 Mahindra Samriddhi India Agri Lifetime Achievement Award for her contribution in the field of agriculture and to increase productivity and rural prosperity
- she had served as Chairman of the National Dairy Development Board (NDDB) from 1998 to 2014
- She had played a pivotal role in the implementation of NDDB’s Operation Flood
- Maria Sharapova fails drugs test at Australian Open and provisionally suspended
- Former world number one Russian female tennis player Maria Sharapova (28) has revealed that she failed a drugs test at the Australian Open
- She has been tested positive for meldonium, a substance that has been added in the forbidden list by the World Anti-Doping Agency (WADA) on 1 January 2016
- The International Tennis Federation (ITF) has provisionally suspended her till further action from Tennis for violating Anti-Doping Rule
- Saudi Prince has awarded France’s Highest Honour “Legion d’Honneur”
- France’s highest honour was awarded for Saudi crown prince Mohammed bin Nayef by President Francois Hollande
- Nayef was cited for his “efforts in the fight against terrorism and extremism.”
- Indian Railways forms SPV to implement Mumbai-Ahmedabad bullet train project
- Indian Railways has formed a new Special Purpose Vehicle (SPV) to implement the Mumbai-Ahmedabad High Speed Bullet Train project. The entity has been named the National High Speed Rail Corporation (NHSRC) Limited
- The bullet train project is expected to cover the 5O8 kilometers between Mumbai (Maharashtra) and Ahmedabad (Gujarat), running at operating speeds over 320 kmph and maximum speed of 350 kmph
- Banks disburse over Rs 1.15 lakh cr under PM Mudra Yojana
- Banks have so far disbursed over Rs 1.15 lakh crore under Pradhan Mantri MUDRA Yojana (PMMY),
- The scheme was launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi in April last year
- Three products available under the PMMY are Shishu, Kishor and Tarun, to signify the stage of growth and funding needs of the beneficiary micro unit or entrepreneur
- Telangana and Maharashtra Cm’s ink MoU for five irrigation projects
- The MoU was signed to set up an inter-state water board construct 5 barrages across Godavari and Penganga rivers
- Of the five barrages, Maharashtra Government will take up construction of Penpahad and Rajapet barrages while Telangana will take up Chanak-Korata across Penganga River
- On completion of all these projects, over 18 lakh acres will get irrigation facility in the two states and play key role in resolving the inter-state dispute over irrigation projects
- Dogri Poetess Padma Sachdev Awarded Krutitava Smagra Samman
- Renowned Dogri poetess and writer Padma Sachdev has been awarded Krutitava Smagra Samman for 2015
- Padma Sachdev is first modern woman poet of Dogri language.She has received the Sahitya Akademi Award , the Padma Shri, the India’s fourth highest civilian award in 2001 and the Kabir Samman for poetry in the year 2007-08
- Germany partnering with India to develop Bhubaneswar, Kochi, Coimbatore as Smart Cities
- Germany has decided to partner with India’s smart city programme and will help developing Kochi (Kerala), Bhubaneswar (Odisha) and Coimbatore (Tamil Nadu) as smart cities
- These three cities are among the top 20 cities selected by Urban Development Ministry which are to be developed as smart cities
- South Korea and US began their largest military exercises
- The bilateral exercises come just days after the UN passed new sanctions against Pyongyang, North Korea following its recent nuclear test and rocket launch
- The 8-week long drill will involve about 300000 South Korean troops and 15000 US personnel
11.India hosting BRICS Friendship Cities Conclave in April
- India is going to host BRICS Friendship Cities Conclave in Mumbai (Maharashtra), financial capital of India from April 14 to 16, 2016
- It will be attended by the top Urban Policy makers and Planners from BRICS Nations viz. Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa.The three-day conclave will be organised by Mumbai First, a think-tank working to find solutions for city’s development
12.Iran conducts several ballistic missiles tests
- Iran’s has successfully test-fired several ballistic missiles from silos across the country
- These tests were conducted by IRGC to demonstrate the country’s deterrent power and its ability to confront any threat against the state and the sovereignty of the country
- With this Iran has breached United Nations Security Council (UNSC) resolutions that compel it to refrain from any work on ballistic missiles for 8 years
13.Karnataka Launches Mukhyamantri Santwana Harish Yojana for free treatment to accident victims
- Karnataka Government has launched Mukhyamantri Santwana Harish Yojana to provide free medical treatment to road accident victims for the first 48 hours (2 days) in the nearest government or private hospital
- The scheme has been named after Harish Nanjappa who had donated his eyes moments before his death. He had died as no help was provided to him after he was severely injured in mishap in February 2016.
14.Sun Pharma Signs MS Dhoni As Brand Ambassador For Revital H
- Sun Pharmaceutical Industries Limited has appointed Indian skipper MS Dhoni as the Brand ambassador for its top selling health supplement Revital H
- The Company is also planning to establish a new ad campaign featuring MS Dhoni done by Lowe Lintas which will go live throughout the ICC T20 World Cup
- First ever NCC girls Everest expedition flagged off
- The first ever all girls National Cadet Corps (NCC) Mount Everest expedition was flagged off by Union Minister of State (MoS) for Defence Rao Inderjit Singh in New Delhi
- The team consisting of ten girl cadets is led by Colonel Gaurav Karki, along with fifteen service personnel. They will reach Nepal on 31st March 2016 and likely to summit the peak between 15 and 25th May, 2016
- First-ever Maritime India Summit to be held in April 2016
- 57 countries are going to take part in the first Maritime India Summit 2016 scheduled to be held in April 2016 in Mumbai, Maharashtra. It will be organised by Union Ministry of Shipping
- The main focus of summit is to give impetus to Make In India and blue economy. South Korea is the partner country for the summit
17.Parliament passes Bureau of Indian Standards (BIS) Bill, 2015
- Parliament has passed Bureau of Indian Standards Bill, 2015 to replace the Bureau of Indian Standards Act, 1986
- The Bill extends the ambit of BIS to include services, products and processes while ensuring production of world class goods
- It make BIS a national standards body for introduce mandatory hallmarking of precious metals, prevent misuse of standard marks
18.Thomas Cook (India) Ltd Signs Strategic Alliance With Western Union Business Solutions And DCB Bank
- Thomas Cook (India) Ltd., India’s leading integrated travel and travel related financial services company, has announced a strategic collaboration with Western Union Business Solutions, a business segment of The Western Union Company, and DCB Bank Limited
- Its aims to assist Small and Medium-sized Enterprises (SMEs) in India with their trade payments across borders
- 108-feet Jain Tirthankara idol enters “Guinness book of records”
- 108—feet tall idol of Lord Rishabhadeva, the first Tirthankara of Jains, carved out of a single rock, has entered the “Guinness World Records” as the world’s tallest Jain statue
- The impressive statue is located at the top of Mangi Tungi mountain near Teharabad village of Baglan tehsil in North Maharashtra district
- Till now, the 57 feet idol of Lord Bahubali in Shravanabelagola in Karnataka was considered the world’s tallest Jain statue
20.NTPC received the Poll Based Investor Communication Award
- NTPC has been conferred the Research Investor Communication Award among the “Large Corporates” category
- The award NTPC’s effort on building a strong ecosystem based on consistent and regular communication with investors across the globe in a fair and transparent manner
21.ICICI bank has launched iWork@home programme for its women employees
- The ICICI Bank has launched “iWork@home”, a first-of-its-kind programme that allows women employees to work from home for up to one year
- The company has deployed face recognition technology to facilitate women to work from home and provide access to the bank’s core banking servers
- International Labour Organization (ILO) organisation has released a report titled “Women at Work: Trends 2016
- The International Labour Organization (ILO) has recently released a report titled “Women at Work: Trends 2016”. As per the latest report on 178 countries, gender equality still remains elusive in the workplace
- It finds millions of women worldwide are not getting the same kind of quality, well-paying jobs as men. The women continue to work longer hours per day than men in both paid and unpaid work
23.YES BANK launches All-Women ‘YES Grace’ branches
- Private lender Yes Bank launched an all-women operated bank branch ‘Yes Grace’ on Cunningham Road here aimed at offering customised banking solutions to women
- The Yes Grace branch is part of a two pronged approach by Yes Bank; to promote women leadership in financial services sector and enable the evolving financial objectives of women,”
- Adam Scott has won the 2016 WGC-Cadillac Championship
- Australian golfer Adam Scott has won the 2016 WGC-Cadillac Championship at Doral, Florida, United States
- Veeru Devgan has been honoured with the lifetime achievement award in the 2016 Zee Cine Awards
- The stunt and action choreographer Veeru Devgan has been honoured with the lifetime achievement award in the 2016 Zee Cine Awards in Mumbai for his contribution in making action praiseworthy in Bollywood
- India And Indonesia Conducting Joint Training Exercise “Garuda Shakti IV in March”
- Garuda Shakti, the 4th edition of joint training exercise between India and Indonesia will be hosted by Indonesia
- The exercise is aimed at building and promoting positive relations between the two Armies of India and Indonesia. The Indian Army is sending a platoon strength contingent that will be training with the Airborne battalion of the Indonesian Army
- P.S. Negi Loktus is the author of the book titled “The Culture Heritage of Trans Himalayas-Kinnaur
- The book titled “The Culture Heritage of Trans Himalayas-Kinnaur” has been authored by P.S. Negi Loktus, IAS (retd.) and published by IGNCA under Ministry of Culture
- It is a study of the cultural heritage of the trans-Himalayan area of Himachal Pradesh, especially Kinnaur that involves documentation of traditional institutions like temples, monasteries, Bon chos, artefacts, forts and old dialects of various ethnic groups
28.Cabinet Clears Amendment To MMDR Act
- The Union Cabinet approved amending the Mines and Minerals (Development and Regulation) Act to regulate mining sector activities in the country
- The MMDR Act passed by Parliament in March last year and only allows transfer of mining leases in cases where the mine has been acquired through auction
- Under the amended Act, even in case of mergers and acquisitions, transfer of mineral leases was only allowed for those that have been auctioned
29.Five Healthcare ATMs Launched in 4 States
- Five healthcare ATMs have come up in four states. Those states are MP, Himachal Pradesh, Odisha and Andhra Pradesh
- The health ministry is aiming that these ATMs would tide over the massive shortage of doctors in the country. It will also save from the risk of pilferage in free drugs programmes
- These ATMs will be manned by a multipurpose public health worker (MPHW) or an auxiliary nurse midwife (ANM) armed with a multi-parameter patient vital monitor and other devices required for checking basic health parameters
- IAF To Get The First Batch Of Women Fighter Pilots In June
- Bhawna Kanth, Avani Chaturvedi, and Mohana Singh are likely to create history as India’s first women fighter pilots if they put on the wings and are inducted into the IAF fighter stream
- They are under the second phase of their training. Once they complete their training and are on par with their male colleagues and the passing out parade is scheduled on June 18
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
- Sudhakar Rao has been appointed as the New chairman of Bombay Stock exchange (BSE)
- The Public Interest Director Sudhakar Rao has been appointed as the new chairman of Bombay Stock exchange (BSE). He succeeded S Ramadorai
- Presently, Rao is also an independent director on the boards of Indian Oil Corporation, CMC Ltd and L&T Infrastructure Development Projects Ltd. He is the Group Advisor, Strategy and Development of the Manipal Education and Medical Group
- March 10th is celebrated as The Central Industrial Security Force ( CISF) Raising Day
- The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF) Raising Day is celebrated every year on March 10. On this day, in 1969, the CISF was set up under an act of the Parliament of India with a strength of 2,800
- It is directly under the Union Ministry of Home Affairs and its headquarters are at New Delhi
- Sonakshi Sinha Enters Guinness World Record For Nail Painting
- Actress Sonakshi Sinha has become a Guinness World Records title-holder as she along with several other women participated in an initiative to set a record for ‘most people painting their fingernails simultaneously’
- The women broke the previous record of 1,156 people painting nails simultaneously which was created by Taiwan Nail Association at Banqiao Stadium, New Taipei City, Taiwan on April 27, 2011
- Balbir Singh Chauhan has been appointed as the chairman of the 21st Law Commission of India (LCI)
- The former Supreme Court (SC) judge Dr.Justice Balbir Singh Chauhan has been appointed as the Chairman of the 21st Law Commission of India (LCI)
- Presently, he is the chairman of the Cauvery River Water Disputes Tribunal. Beside him, the Union Government has appointed former judge of the Gujarat high court Justice Ravi R Tripathi as member of 21st LCI
- George Henry Martin “The Beatles Producer” Passed Away
- The legendary music producer George Henry Martin has passed away in England. He was popularly known as the “Fifth Beatle” as he has signed the Beatles and became their indispensable mentor and collaborator. George has signed The Beatles and produced more than 700 records
- In the year 1967 and 2007 he has won 6 Grammy Awards in various categories. He was also made a Knight Bachelor in 1996. He was named by the Guinness World Records as the most successful producer ever with more than 50 Numbers
36.Tarun Kona is related to Badminton sports
- Indian shuttlers Tarun Kona and Alwin Francis (Badminton) has recently won the 2016 Peru International Series by defeating the top-seeded Mexican pair of Job Castillo and Lino Munoz in the final at Lima, Peru
37.Tapan Kumar Chand has been Elected As AAI Chief
- In the aftermath of National Governing Council meeting of Aluminium Association of India Tapan Chad elected as AAI chief
- Aluminium Association of India, was founded in 1981 to cater the needs of Indian Aluminium Industry and to interface with various aluminium industries world over
- Ahmed Abul Gheit has been appointed as the Secretary General of the Arab League
- The renowned Egyptian diplomat Ahmed Abul Gheit has been appointed as the Secretary General of the Arab League
- Currently, the league has 22 Arab countries spanning North Africa, the Horn of Africa and the Middle East
- Kangana Ranaut has Become The Brand Ambassador Of Reebok India
- The renowned Bollywood actress Kangana Ranaut has announced as the brand ambassador of Reebok India
- The new campaign of the brand titled “Be More Human” featuring Kangana has been released on the “International Women’s Day”
40.Nana Vasconcelos, who died recently, was a percussionist belongs to Brazil
- The well-known Brazilian Latin jazz percussionist Nana Vasconcelos (71) passed away in Recife, Brazil. He was the master of the single-string percussion instrument known in Portuguese as the berimbao
- The American jazz magazine DownBeat named Vasconcelos percussionist of the year for seven consecutive year from 1983 to 1990
41.Cycle to Recycle is the theme of the Indian Army cycling event 2016
- The Indian Army cycling event 2016 has been flagged off recently from Pangsau Pass on the India-Myanmar border with the theme “Cycle to Recycle”. It was organised as part of the Assam Rifles 181st raising day celebrations
- The purpose of this cycling event is to create public awareness about the need of nature and environment conservation. The event will culminate on March 16, 2016 in Shillong, Meghalaya
42.Hyundai is now The Official Partner Of BCCI
- Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has entered into a 4 year partnership with Hyundai Motor India Ltd (HMIL) as an associate sponsor for all international matches at home
- BCCI announced its association with beverage major PepsiCo as its first official associate sponsor for around 80 matches which would be played in four years. Mobile commerce platform Paytm is the official title sponsor of BCCI
43.India will supply 18 Meter Gauge Diesel Electric Locomotives to Myanmar
- RITES (Public Sector Enterprise under Ministry of Railways) signed a contract to supply 18 Meter Gauge 1350 HP Diesel Electric Locomotives to Myanmar Railways
- This supply will help Myanmar to meet increasing demand for passenger and freight traffic
- The Kakrapar atomic power station is located in state of Gujarat
- Recently, a power generation unit at Kakrapar atomic power station in Gujarat was shut down after leakage of heavy water
- This atomic station is located near Vyara in Gujarat and has two 220 MW pressurised water reactors with heavy water as moderator (PHWR)
- Suresh Prabhu Has Launched “Clean My Coach” Service
- Minister for Railways Suresh Prabhu on 11th march 2016 has launched the ‘clean my coach’ service
- As per the scheme for any cleaning requirement in the coach, passenger will have to send an SMS on a mobile number 58888
- The pilot project has been recently launched for Highway Advisory Services
- The Union Road Transport and Highways ministry has launched a pilot project called Highway Advisory Services to give traffic updates to commuters on the 256-km Delhi-Jaipur National Highway-8
- The objective of this radio channel project is to provide information to the highway commuters about travel tips, safety tips, traffic updates, including information on accidents and diversions
- IRNSS-1F satellite was placed in orbit via the Polar Satellite Launch Vehicle (PSLV C-32)
- On 12 March, the ISRO has successfully placed India’s sixth dedicated navigation satellite, the IRNSS-1F into orbit
- The Independent Regional Navigation Satellite System (IRNSS) is designed to provide accurate position information service to users in India and the region extending up to 1,500 km from the border
- Union Cabinet gave green signal for amendment to Sikh Gurdwaras Act, 1925
- The Union Cabinet on 10 March 2016 approved the proposal of the Ministry of Home Affairs to amend the Sikh Gurdwaras Act, 1925 through the Parliament retrospectively with effect from 8 October 2013
- The proposal and gave green signal to remove the exemption given to Sehajdhari Sikhs in 1944 to vote in the elections for selecting members of the board and the committees constituted under the Act
- Sri Lanka passed a resolution to convert its Parliament into Constitutional Assembly
- The Sri Lankan Parliament has recently adopted a resolution to convert itself into a Constitutional Assembly
- Google’s computer programme AlphaGo is related to A board game of China
- AlphaGo is a computer program developed by Google DeepMind in London to play the Chinese board game Go
- It has defeated human champions of the game and is considered a breakthrough in the field of artificial intelligence
- Uber Opens Asia’s 1st Engineering Hub in India
- Uber, the ride sharing service provider has opened its first Asian engineering center in Bengaluru highlighting the focus on India to solve the localized challenges of Uber users in the country
- The center will focus on software engineers, product developers and others working initially on problems specific to users in India
- Defence Ministry gives nod to 7 stealth frigates worth Rs 13,000 crore
- The defence ministry on Friday approved Rs 13,000 crore weapons and sensors package for the seven new stealth frigates being constructed by defence shipyards for the Navy as well as accorded the initial approval for the Rs 7,200 crore project to indigenously manufacture 244 air defence guns for the IAF
- The frigates will be equipped with long-range surface-to-air missile (LR-SAM) systems, jointly developed by DRDO and Israel Aerospace Industries, which are already fitted on the three Kolkata-class destroyers
- Tezpur University & JNU won the annual Visitor’s Awards for Central Universities
- Tezpur University on 10 March 2016 won the annual Visitor’s Award for the Best University
- Rakesh Bhatnagar and the Molecular Parasitology Group of Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU) have also won the Visitor’s Awards for Research and Innovation respectively
54.Honey festival in Mangaluru from March 12
- The Dakshina Kannada Zilla Panchayat, in association with the Karnataka Horticulture Department, will conduct a ‘honey festival’ in Mangaluru on March 12 and 13
- The Dakshina Kannada Bee-Keepers’ Cooperative Society will make arrangements for the sale of honey at the festival. The organisers will also conduct a bee-keeping training programme as part of the honey festival on March 13
55.IMF and India to set-up South Asia Regional Training and Technical Assistance Center in Delhi
- India and International Monetary Fund (IMF) have decided to set up South Asia Regional Training and Technical Assistance Centre (SARTTC) in New Delhi
- SARTTC will set up for enhancing capacity development and training officials in dealing with macro-economic and financial issues in the South Asia region
- Anand Mahindra conferred with France’s Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur
- Mahindra & Mahindra Chairman and Managing Director (MD) Anand Mahindra was conferred with Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur (Knight of the Legion of Honour) by French Government
- He was presented with this award by Francois Richier, Ambassador of France to India in recognition of his outstanding national and international achievements
- Union Power Ministry has given name UJALA for LED based Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme
- Union Power Ministry has announced name UJALA for the LED based Domestic Efficient Lighting Programme (DELP). UJALA is acronym for Unnat Jyoti by Affordable LEDs for All
- The target of programme is to replace 77 crore incandescent lamps with LED bulbs. Energy Efficiency Services Limited (EESL) is implementing it and is currently running successfully in over 120 cities across India
- Lt Gen N P S Hira has been appointed as Deputy Chief of Army
- Lieutenant General (Lt Gen) N P S Hira has been appointed as Deputy Chief of Army Staff. He will be now moving to Army Headquarters in New Delhi
- He had commanded 12 Infantry Brigade deployed on the Line of Control (LoC) in Uri sector. He also had commanded the 10 Infantry Division in J&K on the LoC with distinction for which he was awarded the Ati Vishisht Seva Medal
- Awards and Honours: He has earned an Ashok Chakra, Kirti Chakra, Shaurya Chakra and many more gallantry awards
- India and US will be launching Fullbright-Kalam Climate Fellowship
- India and United States have launched the Fulbright – Kalam Climate Fellowship enabling Indian research scholars to work with American institutions in the field of climate change
- It will be operated by the binational US-India Educational Foundation (USIEF) under the umbrella of the prestigious Fulbright programme. It will be jointly funded by both the governments
- The fellowship has been named after late Indian President Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam
- Arab League declares Lebanese movement Hezbollah a terrorist group
- The Arab League has declared Lebanese movement Hezbollah, a Shia political organisation a terrorist group. The move comes after the Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC) had adopted the same stance
- Decision in this regard was taken during the Arab League Foreign Ministers’ meeting at the organisation’s seat in Egypt’s capital Cairo. All-22 Arab League members supported the decision except Lebanon and Iraq expressed reservations
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
- India successfully test-fired Agni-I ballistic missile
- India on 14 March 2016 successfully test-fired indigenously built nuclear-capable intermediate range Agni-I ballistic missile. It was launched from launch pad-4 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR) at Abdul Kalam Island (Wheeler Island) on the Odisha coast
- The sophisticated missile covered 700 km distance within 9 minutes and 36 seconds. The latest trial of Agni-I followed the first successful test-fire that was conducted on 27 November 2015 from the same base
- Hanan Al Hroub from Palestinian won 2016 Global Teacher Prize
- A Palestinian primary school teacher from a refugee camp, Hanan Al Hroub, on 13 March 2016 won one million dollar Global Teacher Prize. She was awarded for her outstanding contribution to the profession
- Hroub uses a specialist approach in her school, which she developed, detailed in her book ‘We Play and Learn’ to overcome tense environments of the region under the shadow of the Israel-Palestine conflict
- Services football team has won the 2016 Santosh Trophy National Football Championships title
- Services team has won the 70th edition of Santosh Trophy Football Championships title 2016 by defeating Maharashtra in the final match at SEC Railway Stadium, Nagpur, Maharashtra
- The trophy is named after the late Maharaja Sir Manmatha Nath Roy Chowdhary of Santosh (now in Bangladesh) who had been the President of the Indian Football Association, the football organisation of Bengal and the donors of the trophy
- 4th World Congress of Biosphere Reserves inaugurated at Lima
- 4th World Congress of Biosphere Reserves was inaugurated on 14 March 2016 at Lima in Peru.
- The event will be held from 14 March to 17 March 2016 to address different issues related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Post 2015 Development Agenda
- The Congress will discuss on education for sustainable development, the economic viability of nature conservation systems, human migrations and protection of natural resources, among others
65.Rock legend Keith Emerson passed away
- British Keyboardist and progressive rock legend Keith Emerson died on 10 March 2016. He was 71
- Emerson, the co-founder of British prog-rock band Emerson, Lake & Palmer, was widely considered one of the top keyboard players of the progressive rock era
- Lin Dan has won the 2016 YONEX All England Open Badminton Championship
- Lin Dan from China has won the 2016 YONEX All England Open Badminton Championship
- With this, he became the six-time All England champion. He won the title by defeating Chinese teammate Tian Houwei by 21-9, 21-10 in the final in England
- Kerala state’s tourism campaign has bagged the prestigious Golden City Gate Award
- The prestigious ‘2016 Golden City Gate Award’ has been won by the Kerala Tourism campaign titled ‘New Worlds’ at the Internationale Tourismus-Borse Berlin (ITB-Berlin) 2016
- Kerala Tourism had earlier won the ‘Ulysses’ Prize of the United Nations World Tourism Organisation (UNWTO) for its contribution as a global leader to sustainable tourism
68.Record-breaking Astronaut Scott Kelly Retiring in April 2016
- Astronaut Scott Kelly will retire from NASA next month, after spending nearly a year in space and setting a record for the most cumulative days in space of any American
- Kelly broke the American record for most cumulative time in space during his one-year mission, accruing 520 days.Kelly is a former Navy pilot who joined NASA in 1996, will leave the agency April 1
- The Festival of Innovations is hosted by New delhi
- The President of India Pranab Mukherjee has inaugurated “Festival of Innovations” at the Rashtrapati Bhavan, New Delhi on March 12, 2016
- The week-long festival is being organised by Rashtrapati Bhavan in collaboration with the National Innovation Foundation
- BSNL has launched Free Wi-Fi Service at Srinagar International Airport
- State-run telecommunication company, Bharat Sanchar Nigam Limited (BSNL) has launched free Wifi services at the Srinagar international airport
- Tourists visiting the Kashmir valley can now access hi-speed Internet services at the international airport here free of charge for the first 15 minutes
- Vijender Singh Registers his Fourth Straight Win in Pro Boxing
- Indian boxer and Olympic bronze medalist Vijender Singh notched up his fourth successive knockout win in the professional boxing circuit, beating Hungary’s Alexander Horvath in under three rounds in Liverpool
- Vijender Singh Beniwal, also known as Vijender Singh & Vijender Beniwal, is an Indian professional boxer and former amateur boxer from Kaluwas, Bhiwani district in Haryana
- ExoMars 2016 spacecraft has been successfully launched by ESA & Roscosmos space agencies
- An unmanned spacecraft “ExoMars 2016” has been successfully launched by the European Space Agency (ESA) in collaboration with the Russian Federal Space Agency (Roscosmos) to search the signs of life on the Red Planet
- The ExoMars 2016 is the first of a two-phase of ExoMars (Exobiology on Mars) program.
- The 2016 Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development meeting has been held in UAE
- The 13th meeting of Broadband Commission for Sustainable Development has been held on March 14, 2016 in Dubai, United Arab Emirates (UAE)
- The meeting was held to promote the power of broadband networks and services for the 2030 Agenda for Sustainable Development
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
WEEKLY CURRENT AFFAIRS 15th-21st March, 2016
- Htin Kyaw is the newly elected President of Myanmar
- Htin Kyaw has been elected as the first civilian President of Myanmar after 53 years of military rule
- He belongs to National League for Democracy (NLD) party. Aung San Suu Kyi is the President of NLD party
2.Anil Wadhwa has been accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of San Marino
- Anil Wadhwa, Ambassador of India to Italy, has been concurrently accredited as the next Ambassador of India to the Republic of San Marino with residence in Rome
- He is an Indian Foreign Service Officer of the 1979 batch was also posted as Secretary (East) in 2014
- He has also served as the Indian Ambassador to the Kingdom of Thailand (Nov 2011 to Jan 2014)
3.India Inc is first in the world to adopt UN’s SDG formally
- India Inc. is set to formally adopt the United Nations’ (UN) agenda for the world’s sustainable development and the 17 goals identified for its implementation
- SDG- 17 goals; MDG- 8 goals.SDG will be evaluated, monitored and reported in a time-bound manner. MDG was in implementation from 2001-2015
4.Parytak Mitra Programme to enable Students to act as Tourist Facilitators
- The Parytak Mitra programme was launched by Union Ministry of Tourism on 12 January 2016 (National Youth Day) to inculcate appropriate tourism traits and knowledge amongst the trainees to enable them to act/work as Tourist Facilitators (Prayatak Mitra)
- College going students including those enrolled with the NCC & NSS in the age group of 18 – 28 years are eligible. The age will be reckoned on the last date prescribed for application for admission
5.Venezuela president has extended economic emergency to protect the citizens
- Venezuela President Nicolas Maduro on 14 March 2016 declared a two-month extension on emergency powers meant to help shore up the country’s crippled economy
- The extension will bring in measures to enhance positive impacts on the national economy. These include actions on health care, nutrition, education, employment
- Venezuela has the biggest known oil reserves in the world but has suffered from the plunge in world oil prices since mid-2014
6.H Deep Saini, Indian scholar has been appointed as the Vice Chancellor of the University of Canberra
- The noted Indian scholar and plant physiologist H Deep Saini has been appointed as the fifth Vice Chancellor of the prestigious University of Canberra
- He will succeed Vice Chancellor Stephen Parker in September 2016. Currently, Saini is the Vice- President of the University of Toronto and Principal of the University of Toronto Mississauga campus in Canada
7.The 2016 World Congress of Biosphere Reserves has been hosted by Peru.
- The 4th World Congress of Biosphere Reserves 2016 has been inaugurated at Lima, Peru on March 14, 2016
- The event would be to address different issues related to the Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs) and the Post 2015 Development Agenda
8.Altico Capital has appointed Naina Lal Kidwai as Non-Executive Director
- Mumbai based Non-banking financial company Altico Capital India has appointed former HSBC India chairperson Naina Lal Kidwai as an independent non-executive director
- Naina lal Kidwai retired as executive director on the board of HSBC Asia Pacific and chairperson of HSBC India last year, after a 13-year stint
- She is on the boards of L & T Limited, Advent Private Equity, Nestle SA, Cipla Ltd and Max Financial Services Ltd besides being chairperson of South Asia Harvard Business School
9.Helen Clark is the current Administrator of United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
- Helen Elizabeth Clark, (born 26 February 1950) is the Administrator of the United Nations Development Programme (UNDP), and was the 37th Prime Minister of New Zealand
- Clark graduated from the University of Auckland in 1974 and became politically active in the New Zealand Labour Party as a teenager
10.India Post selects Deloitte as Consultant in setting up Payments Bank
- India Post has selected Deloitte to advise it on setting up a payments bank and an agreement between the two will be signed on March 14
- The Public Investment Board has already approved the Rs 800-crore proposal of India Post and in 15 days, it will go to the Cabinet for final approval
- Trail run project for the payments bank is set to start from January and the full-fledged operations will start by March
11.323 Indian Villages has been electrified in just One Week Under the Scheme Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana
- 323 villages have been electrified across the country during last week (from 6th to 13th March 2016) under Deen Dayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY)
- Out of these electrified villages, 86 in Odisha, 73 in Jharkhand , 61 villages in Uttar Pradesh, 42 in Arunachal Pradesh , 33 in Bihar, 16 in Assam, 6 in Chhattisgarh, 3 in Madhya Pradesh and 3 in Rajasthan
12.Lin Dan won his Sixth All England Badminton Title
- Lin Dan from China has won the prestigious 2016 All England Badminton title in the men’s singles category.he defeated Chinese teammate Tian Houwei by 21-9, 21-10 score
- Lin Dan is a professional badminton player from China. He is a two-time Olympic champion, five-time world champion, and six-time All England champion
13.Lloyd Stowell Shapley, who died recently, had won 2012 Nobel Prize in Economics category
- Dr. Lloyd Stowell Shapley (92), the noted American mathematician, has recently passed away in Tucson, Arizona
- With Alvin E. Roth, Shapley won the 2012 Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences for work on game theory that has been used to study subjects as diverse as matching couples and allocating costs
14.World Consumer Rights Day (WCRD) is observed on March 15
- The World Consumer Rights Day (WCRD) is observed every year on March 15 as an occasion of solidarity among consumers for promotion of the rights of consumers and to ensure that consumers are protected from unscrupulous traders and their consumer grievances are redressed
- The 2016 theme is “Antibiotics off the menu”. It is a campaign to stop the sale of meat raised with the use of antibiotics important to human medicine
15.Women Transforming India initiative has recently been launched by NITI Aayog
- The NITI Aayog, Union Government’s premier think-tank, has launched the ‘Women Transforming India’ initiative on the International Women’s Day in partnership with the United Nations and MyGov
- The initiative is to directly engage with women leaders from across urban and rural areas of India
16.Uttar Pradesh state government has launched awareness programme to protect sparrows
- The Uttar Pradesh has launched awareness campaign at school levels to create awareness about conservation of birds on March 14, 2016
- The awareness campaign would also be spread among the students to make the state clean and green under “CleanUP – Green UP”
17.Mother Teresa to become a saint on September 4th: Pope Francis
- Pope Francis approved Mother Teresa’s elevation to sainthood and set September 4 as the date for her canonisation
- Teresa founded the Missionaries of Charity and spent 45 years serving the poor, the sick, the orphaned, and the dying on the streets of Kolkata. She died at the age of 87 here in 1997
18.United Kingdom has launched the world’s first fully electric-powered double-decker bus
- The world’s first fully electric-powered double-decker bus has been launched in London, United Kingdom
- It is built by Chinese manufacturer BYD and will be able to travel 180 miles on a single charge
19.Suryassangyini Chaudhary has become the youngest person to climb the Mt. Kangchenjunga base camp in Sikkim.
- Ms. Suryassangyini Chaudhary (6) has become the youngest girl to climb the 16,300 feet high Mt. Kangchenjunga base camp at Goechala, Sikkim
- She is from Baraut in Baghpat district, Uttar Pradesh
20.Author Anita Brookner, Booker Prize-Winner dies at the age of 87
- Anita Brookner, the Booker prize-winning British author and renowned art historian, has died at the age of 87
- She won the Booker in 1984 for her novel Hotel du Lac, one of 24 novels she wrote after a distinguished career as an art historian and was the first woman to hold the prestigious Slade Professorship of fine art at Cambridge University.
- She has awarded with Man Booker prize in 1984 and in 2010 she had won James Tait Black Memorial
21.ICICI bank has launched NFC-based mobile payment solution“iTap”
- India’s first contact-less mobile payment solution “iTap” has been launched by ICICI Bank. Through “iTap” its customers will be able to make payments by waving their cell phones near an NFC- enabled merchant terminal
- ICICI bank has used the Host Card Emulation (HCE) technology which creates ‘virtual’ cards for ‘physical’ credit or debit cards (Visa/MasterCard) of the bank, as selected by the customer
- The facility will be available in the last week of March 2016 at more than 60000 merchants across the country
22.India Aviation 2016 event has been hosted by Hyderabad
- The President of India Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the 5th edition of ‘India Aviation 2016’ on March 16, 2016 at Begumpet Airport, Hyderabad
- The 2016 theme is “India’s Civil Aviation Sector: Potential a Global Manufacturing & MRO Hub”
23.India ranks 118 out of 156 Countries on United nations’ World Happiness Index
- India has been ranked 118th out of 156 countries on the United Nations’ World Happiness Index (WHI) 2016
- According to the World Happiness Report 2016, published by the Sustainable Development Solutions Network (SDSN), Denmark has topped the list, followed by Iceland, Norway, Finland, Canada, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Australia and Sweden
24.Ustad Ali Ahmad Hussain Khan, an exponent in Shehnai musical instrument has passed away recently
- The renowned Shehnai exponent Ustad Ali Ahmad Hussain Khan (77) passed away in Kolkata, West Bengal. He hailed from a family of renowned Shehnai exponents from Benaras
- He was known for his innovative style and mastery over the classical, semi-classical and folk music repertoire
25.TIME Magazine : Prime Minister Narendra Modi is among the most influential people on the Internet
- Prime minister Narendra Modi has been named ‘The 30 Most Influential People on the Internet’ for the second year in a row in this year’s unranked list
- According to TIME magazine describing the Indian leader as an “Internet star” who often uses social media to “conduct diplomacy”
26.Abdulqadir Rashik has won the first prize in UN #LinksSDGs Data Visualization Challenge
- Abdulqadir Rashik, founder of India-based Miavy Systems, has won the first prize in UN #LinksSDGs Data Visualization Challenge
- He has been awarded for his submission “Links to Sustainable Cities”, an interactive visualization that identifies and maps the links between Sustainable Development Goal 11, Sustainable Cities and Communities, and the other 16 Goals
27.Priyanka Kakodkar and Raksha Kumar are the winners of 2015-16 Chameli Devi Jain Award
- The Media Foundation’s Chameli Devi Jain award for 2015-16 has been jointly awarded to Priyanka Kakodkar and Raksha Kumar for work that combines social concern and compassion with ground-breaking reportage and sharp analytical skills
- The annual Chameli Devi Award is the premier award for women media persons in India
28.14 Indian Investors are among World’s Top 100 Venture Capitalists
- A total of fourteen Indian investors have been featured in a list of top 100 venture capitalists in the world.The list has been compiled by CB Insights, a research firm that tracks angel and venture capital investments across the globe
- The list has been prepared based on evaluations of the basis of the investments made by the investors since 2008
29.RUSA Scheme to be implemented to improve Equity, Quality of Higher Education
- Central government is implementing the Centrally Sponsored Scheme of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA) for providing financial support to proposals contained in State Higher Education Plan (SHEP) approved by the State Higher Education Councils (SHECs) in order to achieve the objectives of equity, access and quality
- objectives of Rashtriya Uchchatar Shiksha Abhiyan (RUSA)- Ensure adequate availability of quality faculty in all higher educational institutions and ensure capacity building at all levels. To achieve the Gross Enrolment Ratio (GER) target of 25.2% by the end of 12th Plan and 32% by the end of 13th Plan
30.Jammu & Kashmir has become the 9th State To Join UDAY Scheme, To Save Rs 9,800 Cr
- Jammu & Kashmir (J&K) became the 9th state to sign the memorandum of understanding(MoU) for power distribution reforms, the Ujwal Discoms Assurance Yojana (UDAY)
- It’s a tripartite agreement between the Union Ministry of Power, state governments and the discoms
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
31.Bharti Airtel buys Videocon Telecom for Rs 4,428 cr
- India’s largest telecom operator by subscriber base, Bharti Airtel, said on Thursday that it has acquired Videocon Telecom for Rs 4,428 crore
- With this, Bharti Airtel will get the rights to use 2X5 MHz of spectrum in the 1800 band allocated to Videocon by the government on April 5, 2013
32.Actress Michelle Yeoh has been appointed as UNDP Goodwill Ambassador
- Michelle Yeoh, the award winning action heroine has been appointed as United Nations Development Programme (UNDP) Goodwill Ambassador
- The Malaysian born actress will focus on raising awareness and mobilising support for the recently launched Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)
33.The 37th SAARC Foreign Ministers meet was recently held in Nepal
- The 37th foreign ministerial meeting of the South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) countries was held in Pokhara, Nepal on March 17, 2016
34.UN has suspended Maria Sharapova as Goodwill Ambassador
- The United Nations (UN) has suspended Russian tennis player Maria Sharapova as Goodwill Ambassador of the organisation after she was tested positive on doping allegations
- Maria Sharapova had announced that she tested positive for a drug called meldonium, at the Australian Open earlier in January 2016
35.Fazle Kabir is the newly appointed Governor of Central Bank of Bangladesh
- Fazle Kabir, former Secretary of Finance Division, has been appointed as the 11th Governor of Central Bank of Bangladesh
- He will succeed Dr. Atiur Rahman due to his resign after taking moral responsibility over the cyber theft from the central bank’s official account with New York Federal Reserve Bank
36.Andrew Wiles has won 2016 Abel Prize
- The British mathematician Andrew J. Wiles has won 2016 Abel Prize for solving a centuries-old hypothesis-Fermat’s Last theorem
- The prize will be given by the Norwegian Academy of Sciences and Letters in May 2016
37.UNESCO organisation has recently released the e-Atlas of Gender Inequality in Education
- The United Nations Educational, Scientific and Cultural Organization (UNESCO) Institute of Physics has recently released the e-Atlas of Gender Inequality in Education
- The e-Atlas shows gender gaps from primary to tertiary education and educational pathways of girls and boys in more than 200 countries and territories
38.Ashley Judd has been named as Goodwill Ambassador for the United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)
- The United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA) has appointed actor and activist Ashley Judd as its Goodwill Ambassador
- The organization has recently been known for its worldwide campaign against obstetric fistula and female genital mutilation
39.Venkaiah Naidu has been conferred with the 2016 Skoch Lifetime Achievement Award
- Venkaiah Naidu, union urban development minister, has been conferred with the 2016 Skoch Lifetime Achievement Award at the 43rd SKOCH summit held in New Delhi for his contributions to inclusive growth and towards poverty alleviation in India
- Beside him, K.Taraka Rama Rao, Telangana Minister for IT, Municipal Administration and Panchayat Raj, has been awarded the most prestigious Skoch Challenger of the Year Award for 2016
40.PM Narendra Modi to inaugurate World Sufi Forum
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi will inaugurate the World Sufi Forum in New Delhi, where more than 200 Indian and international delegates, including Sufi Shuyukh, spiritual leaders, scholars, academicians and masters of Sufism, are participating
- The 4 day event is being organised by All India Ulama and Mashaikh Board (AIUMB), the apex body of Sufi Dargahs in India.
- The meeting is expected to debate on how Sufi teaching can prevent global terrorism
41.India has signed $35 million loan agreement with The World Bank for MP project
- The Government of India has signed a loan agreement with the World Bank for Neeranchal National Watershed Project in Madhya Pradesh
- The Madhya Pradesh Citizen Access to Responsive Services project size is 50 million dollars out of which 35 million dollar will be provided by World Bank and the remaining amount will be funded out of State Budget.
- The objective of the project is to improve access and quality of public services in the state through implementation of the Public Service Delivery Guarantee Act, 2010. The duration of the project is 5 years
42.Arun Jaitley to inaugurate National Community Radio Sammelan in New Delhi
- Information and Broadcasting Minister Arun Jaitley will inaugurate the 6th National Community Radio Sammelan in New Delhi
- The theme of the conference is, ‘Community Radio in India: Towards Diversity and Sustainability’
- The Information and Broadcasting Ministry has been organising the National Community Radio Sammelan annually since 2011
43.Indian Railways ties up with ISRO for route surveys
- The Indian Railway Ministry has announced that it has signed an agreement with the Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO)
- The agreement will leverage the space technology for providing the passenger information in all trains. With the help of this tie up Railways will assets and help the new route alignments
44.Vijay Mallya quits as RCB Director
- Royal Challengers Bangalore (RCB) has confirmed to the BCCI that Russell Adams has been designated as points man for all further correspondence
- The decision has been taken when Mr. Vijay Mallya has resigned as the director of the Royal Challengers Sports Private Limited (RCSPL) on Thursday. But he will hold the post of chief mentor
45.TCS has been named as official tech partner for London Marathon
- Tata Consultancy Services (TCS), India’s leading IT services provider, announced a three year partnership with the Virgin Money London Marathon to enhance the digital experience delivered to marathon participants
- Under the terms of the partnership, TCS will become the race’s Official Technology Partner for the 2016, 2017 and 2018 events
46.Hitachi to setup ATM making firm in India
- Hitachi Terminal Solutions India Pvt Ltd (Hitachi Terminal Solutions India) to be based in Bengaluru as an ATM manufacturing company. The new entity is expected to commence production in June 2016
- The new company has been set up with a capital of Rs 100 crore and is set a target to produce 1,500 units of ATMs per month at the end of calendar year 2016
- Hitachi has deployed over 5,000 units of ATM in India by 2015 and at present, there are about two lakh ATMs and CDs (Cash Dispensing ATMs) operating in the country
47.Amar Abrol has been appointed as the new CEO of Air Asia India
- Air Asia India has made an announcement on Thursday that Mr. Amar Abrol will be the new CEO of the company with the effect from April 1, 2016
- He will succeed Mittu Chandilya. Chandilya’s contract with the airline will ends on March 31, 2016
48.Ex Wipro CFO Suresh Senapaty has appointed As The New Chairman Of Honeywell Automation
- Suresh Senapaty, The ex Wipro CFO has been appointed as the new Chairman by Honeywell Automation India Ltd (HAIL)
- He will be responsible for contributing to HAIL’s overall strategy and to provide counsel on corporate governance, business, and financial matters
49.Surat railway station has been named the cleanest in India, according to the IRCTC survey
- According to an Indian Railway Catering and Tourism Corporation (IRCTC) survey, the Surat railway station has been named the cleanest in India in the A1 category, followed by Rajkot, Bilaspur (Chhattisgarh), etc
- The survey, conducted across 407 stations and based on the feedback of around 1.34 lakh passengers, classified the stations into ‘A’ and ‘A1′ categories based on their traffic
50.Andhra pradesh state government has launched India’s first state-wide broadband project
- India’s first state-wide broadband project “AP FiberNet” has been launched by Andhra Pradesh government in Visakhapatnam
- Under the project, Internet connections would be provided at cheap rate in the districts of Visakhapatnam, Srikakulam and Vizianagaram by April 2016 and after that the rest of the state will be recovered
- Andhra Pradesh government has tied up with Cisco to roll out the project
51.Ministry of Minority Affairs is hosting “The Everlasting Flame International Programme”
- The Union Ministry of Minority Affairs is hosting a cultural spectacle “The Everlasting Flame International Programme” in New Delhi from March 19 to 29, 2016 under its scheme “Hamari Dharohar” in collaboration with the Ministry of Culture and the Parzor Foundation
- It is a celebration of the history, beliefs, practices, and contribution of Parsis, the micro-minority community whose contribution surpasses its numbers. It will encompass all the elements of the contribution of Zoroastrians and Parsis to the world culture, philosophy and art
52.Indian Overseas Bank is the first bank to commence the sale of Indian Gold Coin (IGC) in the domestic market
- The Indian Overseas Bank (IOB) has become the first bank to commence the sale of Indian Gold Coin (IGC) in the domestic market. The bank has tied up with Metals and Minerals Trading Corporation (MMTC) for the sale of IGC of 24 carat purity
- IGC is the first ever national gold offering by the Centre. The IGC has the national emblem, the Ashok Chakra, engraved on one side and the face of Mahatma Gandhi on the other
53.Exercise Iron Fist 2016 has conducted by the Indian Air Force in Rajasthan
- The Iron Fist Exercise 2016 has conducted by the Indian Air Force on March 18, 2016 at Air Force Firing Range, Pokhran, Rajasthan
- It is a day-night exercise that showcased the firepower capacity of the Indian Air Force
54.The 2016 Global Bamboo Summit will be hosted by Indore
- The 2016 Global Bamboo Summit will be held in Indore, Madhya Pradesh from April 8, 2016
- It will be organized by Madhya Pradesh Government with National Bamboo Mission, Ministry of Agriculture, Government of India and Indian Federation of Green Energy (IFGE)
55.The Government Of India has Slashed The Interest Rates On Provident Fund , Kisan Vikas Patra and On Small Saving Schemes
- The government has slashed interest rates on small-savings schemes, including the Public Provident Fund and Kisan Vikas Patra
- the rate under the Public Provident Fund scheme will be cut to 8.1 per cent for the period from April 1 to June 30 from 8.7 per cent
- the interest rate on the KVP will be cut to 7.8 percent from 8.7 percent, post office savings is retained at 4 percent
56.Prime Minister Narendra Modi has inaugurated Krishi Unnati Mela in New Delhi
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi inaugurate three-day ‘Krishi Unnati Mela’ providing information on new farm schemes and technologies that will help farmers double their incomes within the next few years
- National fair, from March 19-21, will have separate workshops on key schemes like Pradhan Mantri Fasal Beema Yojana, e-agriculture marketing, integrated farming system, Pradhan Mantri Krishi Sichai Yojan, soil health and livestock issues
- In this fair live demonstration of agriculture and horticultural crops, animal husbandry, innovative technologies and farm mechanisation in big plots
57.SC allows Pictures of governors, chief ministers and minister in govt advertisements
- Supreme Court allowed now use of pictures of Chief Ministers, Governors and Cabinet ministers in the government’s media advertisements
- The SC had earlier ruled that the advertisements could only have pictures of the President, Prime Minister and the Chief Justice of India
58.Union Minister Ram Vilas Paswan has launched FCI’s Depot Online System
- Union Minister of Consumer Affairs, Food and Public Distribution Ram Vilas Paswan on 17 March 2016 launched the Online Depot System in New Delhi to automate all the operations of Food Corporation of India (FCI) depots
- The key objective of the Depot Online System is to align with Digital India vision for transformation of food distribution supply chain in India
- The Depot Online System will be rolled out in all 554 FCI-owned godowns by July 2016
59.India and Bangladesh enter New Era Of Bilateral Petroleum Trade
- India and Bangladesh entered into a new era of petroleum trade with a special goodwill train loaded with High Speed Diesel rolling down from India to Bangladesh
- The 42 wagon rail rake is loaded with around 2500 MT High Speed Diesel. It started off from Siliguri station to Parbatipur station over 516 kms
- The agreement also includes joint initiative for construction of a 135 km long pipeline, with a capacity of 1 million Metric Ton per annum(MMTPA) from Siliguri to Parbatipur
60.S. Sridhar has been appointed as New MD For Pfizer
- Pfizer, the pharmaceutical major has announced the appointed of Mr. S Sridhar as its new Managing Director (MD) with immediate effect for a period of five years
- The announcement came at the time of BSE filings and applied with the immediate effect from 18th March, 2016.S. Sridhar has been working with Pfizer from past 10 years
61.Sudhir Raheja has given additional Charge as AAI Chairman
- The Airport Authority Of India (AAI) has given the additional charge of Chairman to Mr. Sudhir Raheja
- Raheja was given the additional charge following the repatriation of the then acting Chairman Alok Sinha to his parent cadre, Uttar Pradesh in August , 2014
62.Indian Professor has been appointed as 56th President Of International Studies Association
- Professor TV Paul took over as the 56th president of International Studies Association (ISA), at its annual convention at Atlanta, Georgia
- Mr Paul called on international relations scholars to explicitly deal with grand strategies of peaceful change more effectively, especially in the context of the rise of new powers such as China and India
63.Tikka Shatrujit Singh has been conferred with top French award
- Tikka Shatrujit Singh, the royal scion of Kapurthala’s Ahluwalia dynasty, has been conferred with the prestigious Knight of the Legion of Honour for his “extraordinary work in the exchanging the French lifestyle and Indian culture with each other”
- Singh is also known for his endeavours to preserve the tangible and intangible heritage of Kapurthala, which is a blend of Indo-French architectural styles
64.World Forestry Day is celebrated on March 21st
- World Forestry Day or International Day of Forests is celebrated worldwide every year on 21st of March
- The International Day of Forests was observed for the first time on March 21, 2013
- The theme of the 2016 International Day of Forests is “forests and water”
65.Government allows 49% FDI In Insurance
- The government has relaxed FDI norms for the insurance sector by permitting overseas companies to buy 49 percent stake in domestic insurers without prior approval, which is another effort to bring more foreign players into India’s vast insurance market
- Earlier, an overseas company was allowed to buy up to 26% stake in an India-based insurance company
66.Hinduja brothers topped the Britain’s ‘Asian Rich List
- India-born brothers G P Hinduja and S P Hinduja topped the ‘Asian Rich List 2016’ and the annual rankings showed that they had added one billion pounds to their personal fortune in a year to be worth an estimated 16.5 billion pounds
- The ‘Asian Rich List’ assesses the total wealth of Britain’s top 101 richest Asians and is compiled by UK-based publishing house Asian Media and Market
67.UN appoints “Angry Birds” as Honorary Ambassador For Climate Change
- The United Nations Secretary General Ban Ki Moon has appointed Red, the leader of the “Angry Birds” mobile game characters as an envoy to inspire climate action toward a sustainable and happier future for all
- Red’s appointment as Honorary Ambassador for Green is the part of a UN campaign launched in partnership with the globally renowned characters to make a direct link between tackling climate change and people’s happiness and well-being on the occasion of the International Day of Happiness to be observed on Sunday, 20 March
68.Cairn India Bags Five Awards At ‘FICCI Excellence Awards’
- Cairn India Ltd. has remained in the top deciles of safety performance amongst peer group companies for the FICCI Safety Systems Excellence Award in Manufacturing
- Cairn India considers safe transportation of its people and its products as an integral part of responsible care
69.Mumbai’s Wilson College adopts railway station for cleanliness
- One of Mumbai oldest colleges, the Wilson College has adopted the Charni Road station here for cleanliness and upkeep as part of the Swachch Bharat Abhiyan
- A group of Wilson College students led by executive co-ordinator Dr Kamal Jadhav met the Governor at Raj Bhavan and briefed him about the decision and the various initiatives taken by the students during the past few months to keep the Charni Road station neat and clean
70.Obama embarks On Historic Cuba Visit
- US President Barack Obama embarked on a historic trip to Cuba more than a year after Washington reset its foreign policy towards the island following decades of Cold War animosity that almost led to a nuclear war
- The three-day trip – the first by a US president in 88 years – was unthinkable until Obama and Cuban President Raul Castro agreed in December 2014 to re-establish diplomatic ties
71.Prince Harry begins his 5-day trip To Nepal
- Britain’s Prince Harry reached Kathmandu on a five-day visit to Nepal to mark the 200th anniversary of the bilateral ties
- Prince Harry, who is leading a 30-member delegation, called on Prime Minister KP Sharma Oli and discussed Nepal-Britain bilateral co-operation
72.General Lori Robinson has been Nominated as 1st US Female Combatant Chief
- The US President Barack Obama has named the General Lori Robinson to head the U.S. combatant command
- The position is one of the most senior in the US Military and Robinson becomes the first woman to head this position
- Presently she leads US air forces in the Pacific Air Forces (PACAF) and Executive Director of Pacific Air Combat Operations Staff since 2014
73.Lionel Messi has been named as Global Ambassador of Huawei
- FC Barcelona’s player Lionel Messi has been named as Huawei global ambassador
- The football player is the company’s Global Brand Ambassador because Huawei believed the striker and the company make “a perfect fit” as both “are always pursuing not success but challenges to be better”
74.Indian-origin student wins first Noor Inayat Khan Prize In London
- Geetakshi Arora of SOAS South Asia Institute has won the first Noor Inayat Khan Prize, the Noor Inayat Khan Memorial Trust announced in London
- The Trust is awarding the annual prize to the post-graduate student from SOAS, University of London, working in the area of gender studies and South Asian history
75.Bangladesh Bowlers Taskin And Sunny have been Suspended By ICC
- Bangladesh left-arm spinner Arafat Sunny and pacer Taskin Ahmed have been suspended from bowling in international cricket council with immediate effect after an independent assessment found their bowling actions to be illegal
- Both bowlers underwent assessments in Chennai last week, after being reported for suspect actions during the World T20 round-one match against Netherlands in Dharamsala on 9th March.
- They can apply for a re-assessment at any stage after modifying their bowling actions
Sources: PIB, PTI, GKToday and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
WEEKLY CURRENT AFFAIRS 22nd-31st March, 2016
- Turkey has recently signed refugee deal with European Union
- After five months of intense negotiations, the European Union (EU) and Turkey finally signed a key deal on March 18 to prevent migration movements stemming from the Syrian war
- According to the deal, any asylum-seeker reaching Greece from Turkey after March 20 will be sent back to Turkey, or their application will be quickly examined to determine whether they will be allowed to remain
2.Novak Djokovic has won 2016 Men’s Singles BNP Paribas Open tennis tournament
- Novak Djokovic has won the 2016 Men’s Singles BNP Paribas Open tournament by defeating Milos Raonic by 6-2, 6-0 in the final at Indian Wells, California, United States
3.M Sukumaran has been chosen for CV Kunhiraman Literary Prize
- The noted Malayalam writer M Sukumaran has been chosen for CV Kunhiraman Literary Prize
- The prize consists of Rs.10,001 in cash, a citation, and a statuette designed by artist BD Dathan
4.The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed on March 21st
- The International Day for the Elimination of Racial Discrimination is observed every year on March 21
- The 2016 theme is “Challenges and Achievements of the Durban Declaration and Programme of Action”
5.Better Water, Better Jobs is the theme of the 2016 World Water Day (WWD)
- The World Water Day (WWD) is observed every year on March 22 to preserve and ration consumption of water
- The 2016 theme “Better Water, Better Jobs” focuses on how enough quantity and quality of water can change workers’ lives and livelihoods and even transform societies and economies
6.The World Poetry day is observed on March 21st
- The World Poetry day is observed every year on March 21 to encourage creativity, inspire the teaching of poetry and restore a dialogue between poetry and other arts, such as theatre, dance, music, etc
7.The 2016 BRICS Summit will be held in Goa
- The 8th edition of BRICS Summit 2016 will be held in Panaji, Goa from October 15 to 16, 2016
- The logo for the summit is a lotus having colours from all the five member countries and a traditional ‘namaste’ in the centre
- The theme of India’s BRICS Chairmanship 2016 is “Building Responsive, Inclusive and Collective Solutions (BRICS)”
8.The 2016 International Abilympics (IA) has started in France
- The 9th edition of International Abilympics (IA) 2016 has started at Bordeaux, France to promote social awareness in the field of skills development and employment both locally and internationally and foster friendship among the competing nations
- The event is organised by Abilympics France from March 23 to 27, 2016. Abilympics, coined from ‘Olympics of abilities’ of persons with disabilities, is a global work skills competition held every four years
9.SSP Chawrasia has won the 2016 Hero Indian Open golf title
- Indian Golfer Shiv Shankar Prasad Chawrasia has won the 2016 Hero Indian Open title at the Delhi Golf Club, New Delhi
10.The Palatana thermal power project is located in Tripura
- Recently, India opened a new 100MW power transmission line to Bangladesh and received 10 GB bandwidth for internet connectivity to Tripura in return
- The power from Palatana thermal power project in Tripura will add to the 500MW India already supplies to Bangladesh, and the bandwidth from Cox’s Bazar in Bangladesh to Agartala will for the first time open up India’s Northeast as an internet gateway to the outside world. India currently leases internet bandwidth through Mumbai and Chennai alone
11.PM Modi confers Himachal Pradesh with ‘Krishi Karman Award’
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi conferred ‘Krishi Karman Award” to the government of Himachal Pradesh for its landmark achievement in showing highest production of food grains in year 2014-15, despite adverse weather conditions and rain-fed farming in the state
- The award was received by Agriculture Minister Sujan Singh Pathania – who led a team of senior officers including Additional Chief Secretary (Agri) Upma Chawdhry at a ceremony held at New Delhi
12.Government withdraws Recognition of Delhi Stock Exchange
- The government has formally withdrawn the recognition of Delhi Stock Exchange (DSE) after it was derecognised by markets regulator Sebi in November 2014 for “serious irregularities” in its functioning
- The DSE board had overlooked the “due transfer of shares in demat accounts and receipt of funds by the appointed date”, the Sebi order had said
13.Attack in Brussels
- On the morning of 22 March 2016, three explosions occurred in Belgium, two at Brussels Airport in Zaventem and one at Maalbeek metro station in Brussels
- In the wake of the attack, 34 people were killed and 198 others were injured, resulting in three days of national mourning in Belgium
- The Islamic State of Iraq and the Levant (ISIL) claimed responsibility for the attacks. The attacks are the deadliest act of terrorism on Belgian soil
14.Former Danish Prime Minister Anker Jorgensen Passed Away
- Anker Henrik Jorgensen, who was a Danish politician and served at various times as Prime Minister and Foreign Minister of Denmark has passed away
- Jorgensen’s time in power was characterized by a sluggish economy and rising unemployment and although popular. He was criticized for not doing enough to reform the economy
15.HS Prannoy wins 2016 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton title
- Ace Indian shuttler HS Prannoy (World no 13) has won the prestigious 2016 Swiss Open Grand Prix Gold badminton tournament in the men’s single category
- It was his second Grand Prix Gold title after the Indonesia Open Grand Prix Gold won in 2014
16.Core banking facility available at 25K post offices by April
- The Department of Posts will offer core banking solutions (CBS) to its customers at 25,000 post offices by April, against 20,494 CBS-enabled branches
- CBS-enabled post offices allow customers to access their postal savings from any of the branches where the facility is available.Postal department’s digitization is integral to Digital India
17.HL Dattu has appointed to International Human Rights body
- Justice HL Dattu, chairperson, National Human Rights Commission, India emerged as the unanimous choice to be appointed as a member of the International Coordinating Committee of NHRIs (ICC) Bureau in Geneva
- Justice Dattu with his vast experience and legal expertise is expected to contribute richly to the approach of the ICC on the human rights issues being faced by the international community
18.Ali Mohamed Shein is a new President of Zanzibar
- The electoral authority of Tanzania’s semi-autonomous archipelago of Zanzibar, the ZEC, announced incumbent President Ali Mohamed Shein had won his re-election bid, after polls boycotted by the main opposition party
- The Civic United Front or CUF, boycotted the election, protesting the ZEC’s decision to nullify the results of last October’s general election in which the opposition apparently won both the presidency and the house of representatives
19.Former CEO of INTEL Andy Grove dies
- Former Intel Corp. chief executive Andy Grove died at the age of 79
- Grove was Intel’s very first hire and played an instrumental role in taking the company from a scrappy startup to the most powerful chipmaker in the world
20.Gurmeet Singh has become the 1st Indian to win Asian 20km Race Walk Championships
- Gurmeet Singh created history by becoming the first Indian athlete to clinch a gold medal in the Asian 20km Race Walk Championships as he won the men’s event with his season’s best effort
- By winning the Asian title Gurmeet has made a strong case for himself for selection in the Rio Olympic Games
21.Permod Kohli has been appointed as the Chairman of Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT)
- Permod Kohli, the retired Chief Justice of Sikkim High Court Justice, has been appointed as the Chairman of Central Administrative Tribunal (CAT)
- It is for a period of 5 years with effect from the date of assumption of charge of the post, or till attaining the age of 68 years, whichever is earlier
22.ICGS Arnvesh has been commissioned by the Indian Coast Guard in Andhra Pradesh
- ICGS Arnvesh, a fast patrol vessel (FPV) of the Indian Coast Guard, has been commissioned at Visakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh
- Chiefly, the ship will focus on surveillance at sea, coastal patrol, anti-smuggling and anti-piracy operations
23.Mohamad Al-Bacha has won the 2016 FIFA Interactive World Cup (FIWC)
- Mohamad Al-Bacha (17) from Denmark has won the 2016 FIFA Interactive World Cup (FIWC) in New York, United States
- The FIWC is an annual international competition of football video games held under the auspices of FIFA with partnership from EA Sports and Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. Notably, this was the first time the tournament was played on both X-Box and PlayStation consoles
24.The United Nations World Meteorological Day (WMD) is observed on March 23
- The United Nations World Meteorological Day (WMD) 2016 is observed across the world on March 23
- The 2016 theme is “Hotter, Drier, Wetter. Face the Future”
25.Assam Rifles is the India’s oldest paramilitary force
- Assam rifles is India’s oldest paramilitary force, raised originally in 1835 as Cachar Levy
- They perform many roles including the provision of internal security under the control of the army through the conduct of counter insurgency and border security operations
- Assam Rifles is known as “Sentinels of the Northeast”. Its headquarters are located at Laitkor (Shillong). The motto of Assam Rifles is “Friends of the Hill People”
26.The World Tuberculosis Day is observed on March 24
- The World Tuberculosis (TB) Day is observed every year on March 24 in order to create public awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the disease
- The 2016 theme is “Unite to End TB”
27.Football legend Johan Cryuff passes away
- Johan Cruyff aka Flying Dutchman, the legendary Dutch football striker and coach has died of lung cancer at the age of 68
- He emerged as one of the world’s greats in the early 1970s when he helped Ajax Amsterdam win three European Cups in a row from 1971-73
- He was also a key player in the great Netherlands team that reached the 1974 World Cup final
28.Aruna Gali won the Laadli Media and Advertising Award for Gender Sensitivity 2014-2015
- Aruna Gali won the award for the Laadli Media and Advertising Gender Sensitivity 2014-2015
- Her Telugu blog ‘Vivakshaku Mugimpu Palakali’ has been selected as the best blog under the web category for bringing to the fore core issues faced by women in the agriculture sector
29.Karnataka State government has developed a mobile app to monitor the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme
- Karnataka developed the mobile application titled ‘MGNREGA M-platform,’ helps officials to monitor the Mahatma Gandhi National Rural Employment Guarantee Scheme, and allows the beneficiaries to monitor progress at every stage
30.Swayam Shikshan Prayog (SSP) is an organisation which aims to promote empowerment of women
- Swayam Shikshan Prayog (SSP) aims to promote empowerment of women as leaders and entrepreneurs through self help groups, social enterprises and community led initiatives
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
31.BEPZA stands for Bangladesh Export Processing Zones Authority
- BEPZA stands for “Bangladesh Export Processing Zones Authority”
- It is a government organization, that includes information of investment opportunities and for investors, proposals, reports, export promotion zones (EPZ) in Bangladesh
32.Arvind Kejriwal was named among the world’s 50 greatest leaders by Fortune magazine
- Arvind Kejriwal has been placed in the list of top 50 most influential leaders of the world by Fortune magazine
- 47-year-old Aam Aadmi Party chief is ranked 42nd on the list and is the sole leader from India
- Fortune credits Kejriwal for his efforts to curb pollution in New Delhi through the scheme of allowing vehicles of odd and even numbers on alternate days on the city’s roads
33.Himachal, Mumbai to have electric buses
- Department of heavy industry has granted in-principle approval to Himachal Road Transport Corporation (HRTC) and Mumbai Metropolitan Region Development Authority (MMRDA) to introduce zero-emission retrofitted electric buses
- It is a flagship scheme under FAME India (faster adoption and manufacturing of hybrid & electric vehicles in India)
- Himachal Pradesh would be the first state in India to introduce zero-emission electric buses
34.Microsoft shuts Artificial Intelligence Robot – Tay
- Microsoft, which launched artificial intelligence (AI)-powered bot on Twitter for a playful chat with people, only to silence it within 24 hours as users started sharing racist and offensive comments with the bot
- Tay — an AI project built by the Microsoft Technology and Research and Bing teams — was coded with information which can tell users jokes or offer up a comment on a picture you send her
35.ITC acquires Technico Agri Sciences for Rs 121 crore
- FMCG ITC Ltd said that it has completed the full acquisition of Technico Agri Sciences Ltd (TASL)
- The company owned by its direct subsidiary, Technico Pty Limited (TPL), Australia for a cash value of Rs 121 crore
- As per a BSE filing by ITC The acquisition it is expected to “improve business and operational synergies”
36.“Pattiseema lift irrigation project” has been launched in Andhra Pradesh
- The Andhra Pradesh government has launched India’s first river linking project “Pattiseema lift irrigation project” that connects Godavari River with Krishna River from the ongoing Polavaram Multi-purpose Irrigation Project
- The project has been completed in a record time of one year by the Hyderabad-based Megha Engineering and Infrastructure Limited (MEIL)
37.The Gadanki Ionospheric Radar Interferometer (GIRI) has been recently established in Tirupati
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has established the Gadanki Ionospheric Radar Interferometer (GIRI) near Tirupati, Andhra Pradesh
- The primary objective of GIRI radar system is to carry out unattended observations towards studying the forcing from the sun like variation in solar flux, solar flare and magnetic storm on the ionospheric irregularities
38.The International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade is observed on March 25
- The International Day of Remembrance of the Victims of Slavery and the Transatlantic Slave Trade is observed every year on March 25 to offer the opportunity to honour and remember those who suffered and died at the hands of the brutal slavery system
- The 2016 theme is “Remember Slavery: Celebrating the Heritage and Culture of the African Diaspora and its Roots”
39.Rise of Futurism is the theme of the defence trade show, Defexpo India 2016
- The Defexpo India 2016, the official defence trade exhibition, will begin in Goa from March 28, 2016
- The 2016 theme is “Rise of Futurism”
- Its’ vision is to make India prosperous by establishing world class science and technology base and provide India’s Defence Services decisive edge by equipping them with internationally competitive systems and solutions
40.Narsingh Pancham Yadav, who qualified for Rio Olympics 2016, is associated Wrestling
- Narsingh Pancham Yadav is an Indian wrestler
- At the 2010 Commonwealth Games, he won the gold medal in the men’s freestyle 74 kg category
41.Garry Shandling,The Comedian and Actor Has Passed Away
- Garry Shandling, the famous comedian who was best known for his faux docudrama and the show ” it’s Garry Shandling’s ” has passed away due to an apparent heart attack
- He performed standup comedy and became a regular guest host of The Tonight Show Starring Johnny Carson
42.Padma Award has Been Presented By The President Pranab Mukherjee
- President Pranab Mukherjee has presented five Padma Vibhushan, eight Padma Bhushan and forty-three Padma Shri awards at the Rashtrapati Bhavan in New Delhi
- The list comprises 10 Padma Vibhushan, 19 Padma Bhushan and 83 Padma Shri awardees. 19 of the awardees are women and the list also includes 10 persons in the category of foreigners, NRIs, PIOs (include one posthumous) and 4 posthumous awardees
43.President Rule Imposed In Uttarakhand
- The decision has been come up a day before the crucial trust vote in the state assembly for the Harish Rawat government
- The Cabinet had recommended the imposition of Central rule in the state following an hour-long emergency meeting with Prime Minister Narendra Modi and also received the formal nod from President Pranab Mukherjee
- President Pranab Mukherjee signed the proclamation under Article 356 of the Constitution dismissing the Congress government headed by Harish Rawat and placing the Assembly under suspended on the recommendation of the Union Cabinet
44.National Film Awards: Amitabh Bachchan, Kangana Ranaut, Baahubali won
- The bollywood megastar Amitabh Bachchan has won the Best Actor Award for his role in the movie ‘Piku’ at the 63rd National Film Awards 2016
- Kangana Ranaut has been selected for Best Actress award for her role in the movie ‘Tanu Weds Manu Returns’. Director Sanjay Leela Bhansali has won the best director award for his movie ‘Bajirao Mastani’.
- “Baahubali: The Beginning” has won the Best Film award. The awards will be presented on May 3, 2016
45.Rotavirus Vaccine has Been Launched By The Union Health Minister
- The government launched the vaccine for Rotavirus vaccine as part of Universal Immunization Programme to prevent child mortality due to Rotavirus diarrhoea
- The vaccine, developed indigenously under a public-private partnership by the science and health ministries
- It’s a landmark achievement under the Prime Minister’s “Make in India” initiative
- The introduction of Rotavirus vaccine will enable the government to directly address the problem of diarrheal deaths
46.Shuklaphanta Wildlife Reserve is located in Nepal
- The Shuklaphanta Wildlife Reserve is a protected area in the Terai of the Far-Western Region, Nepal, covering 305 km2 (118 sq mi) of open grassland, forests, riverbeds and tropical wetlands at an altitude of 174 to 1,386 metres
- It was gazetted in 1976 as Royal Shuklaphanta Wildlife Reserve
47.The 2017 FIFA U-17 World Cup will be hosted by India
- The 17th edition of the FIFA under-17 World Cup football tournament 2017 will be hosted by India
- This will be the first time India will host an international football competition
48.Haryana state government has recently launched a new scheme ‘Adapting Homes for the Differently-abled’
- The Haryana Government has recently launched a new scheme ‘Adapting Homes for the Differently-abled’, under which six months pension will be given in advance to such persons for adapting their homes as per their requirement
- Haryana has been selected by the Union Government as a pilot state for universal ID for persons with disability
49.The ITBP’s weapon and support weapon training centre will be set up at Damoh of Madhya Pradesh
- Indo Tibetan Border Police (ITBP) modern weapon and support weapon training centre, first of its kind in the state, will be set up at Batiyagarh in Damoh, Madhya Pradesh
- The newly recruited constables of ITBP will be given training at the centre for operating all kinds of small and big weapons including cannons capable of firing up to 5-km range and sten guns
- Presently, a similar training centre is operational in Allahabad, Uttar Pradesh
50.Shankar Laxman has won the Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award 2016
- Late Captain Shankar Laxman (posthumously) has won the 2016 Major Dhyan Chand Lifetime Achievement Award
- He was a goalkeeper and was part of the Olympic medal winning teams of 1956 (Melbourne, Gold), 1960 (Rome, Silver), and 1964 (Tokyo, Gold)
51.‘Project Salamati’ has been launched by Haryana
- The Haryana government launched ‘Project Salamati’, which aims to maintain healthy gap between the births of children by using injectable contraceptive
- The project was launched by Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar
52.Sharad Kumar is the incumbent chief of the National Investigation Agency (NIA)
- National Investigation Agency (NIA) is a central agency established by the Indian Government to combat terror in India
- In July 2013, Sharad Kumar was appointed as the Chief of National Investigation Agency
53.Haryana Cabinet has approved Jat Reservation Bill
- The Haryana cabinet cleared the bill that proposes to provide reservation to five communities, including the politically-dominant Jat community
- Haryana Chief Minister Manohar Lal Khattar had said earlier that the state government would introduce a new bill in the assembly’s budget session for reservation to five communities, namely Jat, Jat Sikh, Tyagi, Bishnoi and Ror
- Mr Khattar had made it clear that the existing 27 per cent reservation for Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in the state would not be disturbed
54.China has launched its First Cyber Security Organization
- China has launched its first cyber security public organization, aimed at better safeguarding national cyber security and guiding Internet companies in perform their duties
- The organization will focus on promoting self-discipline in the industry, accelerating the establishment of industry standards and cyber security studies and participating in international cooperation
55.Syrian Army has recaptured the Historic City Of Palmyra from IS
- Syrian Army and popular defence forces have regained control of the ancient city of Palmyra from Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) terrorist group
- The ancient city of Palmyra is a UNESCO designated World Heritage site and home to some of the world’s most magnificent ancient ruins
- ISIS had taken complete control of the ancient Syrian city of Palmyra in May 2015. After the seizure of entire ancient city, they had destroyed many ancient ruins
56.Singapore Corvette Test Fires Barak Missile
- The Republic of Singapore Navy (RSN) has successfully test-fired a Barak missile from its Victory-class missile corvette RSS Vigour during Fleet Exercise conducted in the South China Sea
- Speaking of the exercise, Dr. Ng commented that the RSN personnel’s professionalism and commitment to maintaining operational readiness and ensuring mission success
57.Surya Deva has been appointed as UN Human Rights Commissioner
- Indian origin law professor Surya Deva has been appointed as an adviser on human rights and multinationals and businesses by the UN Human Rights Council (UNHRC)
- According to officials he will be a member of the 4 member working group on the issue of human rights, transnational corporations and other business enterprises
58.Indo American has appointed as The President & CEO Of Bank Of The West
- Nandita Bakshi, an Indian-American has been appointed as the President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Bank of the West
- She will take over the roles of President and CEO-designate effective from 1 April 2016 and will assume the role on 1 June 2016.
- She will succeed Michael Shepherd who has been appointed as chairman of the BNP Paribas USA
59.Sreejesh and Deepika have Won Hockey Player Of The Year
- Deepika and PR Sreejesh has won the Dhruv Batra Player of the Year Award for Women and Men respectively at the Hockey India (HI) Annual Awards
- The first set of awards marking important milestones in the careers of players were presented to Dharamvir Singh, Kothajit Singh, Birendra Lakra and Sushila Chanu for making 100 appearances for India
60.US museum returns 10th century Rama statue to Cambodia
- United States returned an ancient decapitated statue of Hindu god Rama stolen from Cambodia during the Southeast Asian country’s civil war in the 70s
- The sandstone Torso of Rama statue, which stands 157 centimetres tall and is missing its head, arms and feet, was formally handed over at a ceremony in Phnom Penh attended by government officials, the US ambassador and the director of the Denver Museum of Art
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
61.Pallavi Fauzdar has become the 1st Solo Woman to Ride Across Mana Pass
- Agra Biker Pallavi Fauzdar, became the first solo woman to ride across the Mana Pass in Uttarakhand and made a record in the Limca Book
- Mana rises to a staggering altitude of 5,638 m (18,497 ft) above sea level, on the border between India and Tibet, and is reckoned as one of the most difficult biking trails
62.Renowned Author Jim Harrison has Passed Away
- Jim Harrison, the great writers in contemporary American fiction has passed away at his home in Patagonia, Arizona
- He was a versatile writer who authored almost 40 books, including novels, collections of poems and eloquent essays about his passion for food
63.Sergey Karjakin has Won the 2016 World Chess Candidates Tournament
- Sergey Karjakin the Russian grandmaster has won the FIDE World Chess Candidates Tournament held in Moscow
- The 26 year old has qualified to challenge Norwegian Sergey Karjakin, Magnus Carlsen for the world chess championship after he pulled off a brilliant rook sacrifice to beat his closest rival, American Fabiano Caruana, in the last round of the Candidates tournament
64.Modi has reached Brussels for India-EU Summit
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi arrived in Brussels on the first leg of his three-nation tour to Belgium, the US and Saudi Arabia
- During his visit to Brussels, Modi will hold a bilateral summit with Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michel and then attend the 13th India-European Union (EU) Summit
65.ISRO will Launch 22 Satellites in a Single Mission
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to script history by launching a record number of 22 satellites in a single mission in May 2016
- This will include a number of micro and nano ones from foreign countries. This mission will flag off from Satish Dhawan Space Centre at Sriharikota
66.India ranks third globally in financial Trojan infections
- India ranks third among countries with high number of financial Trojan infections, where cyber criminals defraud customers of online banking services
- India has moved up from 5th position in 2014 to rank 3 in 2015, although global detections have dropped
67.112 Would be The National Emergency Number in India
- Since long, Indians had to memorize a plethora of emergency numbers, based on the situation
- if 100 is the emergency number to contact police, then 101 is for fire emergency, 102 is for health emergency and 108 is for emergency situation related to disasters
- 112 would be the default emergency response number for any situation in India
68.Manohar Parrikar flags off India’s first indigenous Sonar Dome
- India’s first indigenous composites sonar dome, a ship’s underwater eyes and ears, was flagged off by Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar and to be delivered to Mazagaon docks in Mumbai
- Designed and produced by a Defence and Research Development Organisation (DRDO) lab in Pune, the sonar dome is a first of its kind in the country and has been manufactured by a composites manufacturing company
69.UNICEF has launched “Unfairy Tales” Of Refugee And Migrant Children
- UNICEF has launched a series of animated films to help frame positive perceptions towards the tens of millions of children and young people on the move globally, called Unfairy Tales
- The Unfairy Tales are part of an initiative, act of humanity, emphasising that children are children, no matter where they come from, and that every child has rights and deserves a fair chance
70.NTT Data to Buy Dell’s IT-Services Arm
- Japan’s major NTT Data has acquired Dell Services, the IT services arm of PC maker Dell
- The latest development from Dell comes as part of its strategy to reduce its debt arisen due to the acquisition of data storage provider for $67 billion
71.Asia’s Biggest Telescope has been launched by PM Modi and Belgian PM Charles Michael
- Asia’s biggest telescope has been launched by Prime Minister Narendra Modi and Belgian Prime Minister Charles Michael
- This is built by the Aryabhatta Research Institute of Observational Sciences (ARIES) with the assistance of Belgian
- ARIES, the largest optical telescope of its kind in Asia. It will be used to study star structures and magnetic field structures of stars and astronomical debris
72.LIGO project will be signed by India and Unites States
- India will sign an MoU with the United States for building a state-of-the-art Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) project in the country
- The project will bring unprecedented opportunities for scientists and engineers to dig deeper into the realm of gravitational wave and take global leadership in this new astronomical frontier
73.European Investment Bank will lend Rs 3300 Crore for Lucknow Metro
- European Union, through the European Investment Bank (EIB), will lend India €450 million (approximately Rs. 3,300 crore) towards constructing a 23-km long Lucknow Metro rail line and a purchasing a fleet of new trains
- Lucknow’s Metro is expected to increase the public transport mode share from 10% to 27% in the city of 3 million
74.Adani has tied up with Elbit, Alpha for Unmanned Aircraft Systems
- Adani Group’s unit Aero Defence Systems & Technologies Ltd has signed a so-called statement of intent with Elbit-ISTAR of Israel and Indian company Alpha Design Technologies Pvt Ltd to work together in the field of unmanned aircraft systems (UAS)
- Under the agreement, the companies plan to set up a final assembly and integration line, including MRO (maintenance, repair and overhaul) facilities by incorporating true transfer of technology for supporting the product range during its lifecycle
75.Kachhabali has becomes the 1st Liquor-free village in Rajasthan
- Kachhabali village in Bhim tehsil of Rajsamand district has become the 1st in the state to vote to close down its lone liquor shop
- The referendum saw 67.11% of voters saying they wanted no alcohol sale in the village
- Around 95% of those who turned up to vote favoured the ban on liquor
76.Patrick Dupuis has been as appointed Board of Directors to Wipro
- Wipro Limited on 30 March 2016 announced the appointment of Patrick Dupuis to its Board of Directors, effective 1 April 2016
- Dupuis, who holds an experience of over 30 years, currently serves as the Senior Vice President for Simplicity, Quality and Productivity at Global technology platform and payments leader, PayPal Holdings, Inc
77.Jitendra Jagota has appointed as the Chairman of IDSA
- Indian Direct Selling Association (IDSA) has announced Jitendra Jagota as the new Chairman in its new Executive Committee at the General Body Meeting held in New Delhi
- Mr. Jagota will succeed Mr. Rajat Banerji. He is the National Head Corporate Affairs of Amway India Enterprises
78.The New President of Central African Republic is Faustin Archange Touadera
- Central African Republic‘s newly elected president Faustin Archange Touadera took the oath of office, ushering in the first elected leader since Muslim rebels overthrew the government more than three years ago
- Touadera, a former math professor and prime minister, emerged from a crowded field of candidates and won the February 14 runoff with nearly 63 percent of the vote
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team