Current Affairs – February 2016
WEEKLY CURRENT AFFAIRS 1st February-7th February, 2016
- India’s first Defence Industrial Park will come up in Kerala state
- The Indian government has approved setting up of India’s first Defence Industrial Park at Ottappalam in Palakkad district of Kerala
- The Rs. 231 crore park will be established with the help of Central and State governments
- The Union government will invest Rs. 50 crore while the rest of the amount would be met by the State government
2. Telangana state is the theme state for the 30th Surajkund International Crafts Mela
- The 30th Surajkund International Crafts Mela-2016 has started at Faridabad, Haryana. It is celebrated during 1-15 February
- The state of Telangana has been chosen as the theme state at the mela. The mela is organized by the Surajkund Mela Authority and Haryana Tourism in collaboration with Union Ministries of Tourism, Textiles, Culture and External Affairs
3. Novak Djokovic has won the 2016 Australian Open men’s singles title
- Novak Djokovic of Serbia has won the 2016 Australian Open men’s singles title in Melbourne by defeating Andy Murray in the final match
- He claimed his 11th grand slam title and also equalled the record of Roy Emerson’s record of six Australian Open singles titles
4. The Uttar Pradesh government has decided to celebrate its “State Tourism Day” on February 14
- The Uttar Pradesh Government has decided to celebrate its “State Tourism day” annually on February 14 to highlight its tourism potential
- The first “State Tourism Day” will be celebrated in Lucknow but the venue will change to other cities in coming years
5. Infosys is set to build the world’s tallest free-standing clock tower
- Software giant Infosys has set to build the world’s tallest free-standing clock tower at its global education centre in Mysore
- The proposed 135-metres tall will be taller than Big Ben (96 m) in London, Hoover Tower (87 m) in California and McGraw Tower (53 m) in Cornell
6. Kidambi Srikanth has won the 2016 Syed Modi Grand Prix Gold Badminton championship title in men’s singles category
- Ace Indian shuttler Kidambi Srikanth has won the 2016 Syed Modi International Grand prix Gold Championship title of Badminton in men’s singles category at Lucknow, Uttar Pradesh
- He defeated China’s Huang Yuxiang to win his fifth title overall
7. Kerala state is set to launch ‘Gender Taxi’, owned and operated by transgenders
- After launching the first Transgender Policy in the country, the Kerala government is now getting ready to launch ‘Gender Taxi’, owned and operated by transgenders
- The state- run Gender Park, under the Department of Social Justice, has drawn up a programme to roll out G-Taxi on the model of its successful all-women cab network She-Taxi
8.Archana Ramasundram is the first woman to be appointed as Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB)
- The senior IPS officer Archana Ramasundram has been appointed as Director General of Sashastra Seema Bal (SSB), that guards India’s frontiers with Nepal and Bhutan
- She became the first woman to head a paramilitary force
- At present, she is the special director of National Crime Records Bureau (NCRB)
9.Japan will host the 2021 FINA World Aquatics Championships
- The Japanese city of Fukuoka will host the 2021 World Aquatics Championships and the Qatari capital Doha has been chosen to host the event in 2023
- It has been announced by the International Swimming Federation (FINA)
10.World’s first ‘robot- run’ farm is set to come up in Japan
- A Japanese company announced that it would open world’s first ‘robot-run’ farm
- The farm, measuring about 4,400 square metres, will have floor-to-ceiling shelves where the produce is grown
- Seed planting will still be done by people, but the rest of the process, including harvesting, will be done by industrial robots
11.Saroj Kumar Jha has been appointed from India as Senior Director in the World Bank
- Saroj Kumar Jha has been appointed as the Senior Director for the Fragility, Conflict and Violence Group in the World Bank group
- He has to provide strategic leadership to address the challenge of fragility, conflict and violence, working across the Bank Group and in close collaboration with partners
- Earlier, he worked as the World Bank’s Global Manager for Disaster Risk Management Practice
12.Rajasthan state government has launched ‘Ashray’ scheme to save girl child
- The Rajasthan government has launched an initiative ‘Ashray’ to save girl child
- Under the scheme, the government will place specifically designed cradles in 65 state hospitals
- The cradles has an automatic system of alarm, which will become active after two minutes of placing the child in the cradle
13.India’s first underwater restaurant has been opened in Ahmedabad city
- India’s first underwater restaurant ‘Real Poseidon’ has been opened in Ahmedabad, Gujarat
- It is built 20 feet below ground level, spreads across 3000 square feet and offers a view of around 4000 fish and marine species
14.India’s first railway university will come up in Gujarat
- India’s first railway university will come up in Vadodara, Gujarat
- Initially, the present campus for National Academy of Indian Railways (NAIR), Vadodara, (at Pratap Vilas Palace) will be used to start the railway university
- After land acquisition, a full-fledged university will be started
15.The Indian Coast Guard raising day is celebrated on February 1st
- Recently, the Indian Coast Guard (ICG) celebrated its 39th raising day on February 1
- The ICG was raised on February 1 1977, with the enactment of Coast Guard Act 1978, as a full-fledged independent Armed Force of the Union under the Ministry of Defence (MoD)
16.G Krishna Pillai, who passed away recently, was famous in Acting
- The noted Malayalam actor G Krishna Pillai (82), popularly known as Kollam G K Pillai, passed away
- He was a theatre-turned cinema-television actor, who was known for his character and comedy roles in dramas, movies and TV serials
17.Inderjeet Singh is related to Shot put sports
- Ace quarter miler MR Poovamma and Asian champion shot putter Inderjeet Singh will spearhead a 68-member Indian athletics team at the 12th SAF Games to be held in Guwahati from February 5-16
18.Titli Indian film has bagged the Best First Foreign Film Award by the 2016 French Syndicate of Cinema Critics (FSCC)
- Indian filmmaker Kanu Behl directorial film ‘Titli’ has bagged the Best First Foreign Film Award conferred by the French Syndicate of Cinema Critics 2016 (FSCC)
- The film captures the volatility of a society where violence lies uneasily just below the surface
19.Kerala state has won the 61st National School Athletics championship
- Kerala has won the 61st National School Athletics championship at Olympian Rahman Stadium in Kozhikode, Kerala
- This is for the 19th consecutive time Kerala becomes the champions in the event. Tamil Nadu stood at second position and Maharashtra was at third position
20.Alphabet company has become the most valuable publicly-traded company in the world
- Alphabet Inc. (GOOGL.O), Google’s parent company, has become the most valued publicly-traded company in the world.
- Alphabet’s market cap rose to around $570 billion as against Apple $534 billion. This is reportedly the first time google’s value has exceeded that of Apple’s since 2009
21.Former Deputy Governor S.S.Tarapore passes away
- S.S. Tarapore, former deputy governor of the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and a noted economist, passed away in Mumbai
- Tarapore joined the RBI in 1961 and retired in 1996 as deputy governor, having been involved in almost all aspects of monetary policy
- Tarapore was also known as inflation hawk
22.Major General Menon has been appointed as head of UNDOF
- Major General Jai Shanker Menon of the Indian Army, a veteran of peacekeeping operations, has been appointed as the head of United Nations Disengagement Observer Force (UNDOF) stationed in Golan to maintain the ceasefire between Israeli and Syrian forces
- He succeeds Nepal’s Lt Gen Purna Chandra Thapa, who will complete his assignment on February 7
23.Jai Kumar Garg has been appointed as MD and CEO of Corporation Bank
- The Union Government appointed Jai Kumar Garg as Managing Director (MD) and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Corporation Bank for a period of three years
- Garg took charge of the public sector bank on 1 February 2016, succeeding S R Bansal, who superannuated from services as CMD on 31 January 2016
24.Wetlands for our Future – Sustainable Livelihoods is the theme of World Wetlands Day 2016
- The World Wetlands Day is observed annually on February 2 to mark the adoption of the Convention on Wetlands in the city of Ramsar in Iran in 1971
- The 2016 theme is ” Wetlands for our Future – Sustainable Livelihoods”. It highlights the value of wetlands in securing local livelihoods through activities as fishing, rice farming, tourism and water provision
25.Rewati Chetri was crowned as Miss Asia at the World Miss University 2016 pageant in China
- Rewati Chetri from India has been crowned Miss Asia (Best in Asia Continent) at the 2016 World Miss University pageant, held in Beijing, China
- Miss Rewati is a student of Guwahati Law College and had won Miss Popular and Miss Multimedia titles in Femina Miss India 2015
26.Union Finance Minister is the chairman of the recently created Tax Policy Council (TPC) in India
- To bring consistency in taxation policy, Finance Ministry has set up two committees – one under Finance Minister and other under Revenue Secretary
- While the Tax Policy Council (TPC) under the Finance Minister will take important policy decisions, the Tax Policy Research Unit (TPRU) under Revenue Secretary will be a multi disciplinary body. The two committees would start functioning from April 1, 2016
27.Pandit Ram Narayan has been chosen for Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award for 2015-2016
- Sarangi maestro Pandit Ram Narayan has been chosen for the prestigious Bharat Ratna Pandit Bhimsen Joshi Classical Music Award for 2015-2016
- The annual award, instituted by the Maharashtra government, is given to individuals who have excelled in classical vocal or instrumental music
28.The World Cancer day is observed on February 4
- The World Cancer day is observed on February 4, 2016 with the theme “We can. I can.” as a step to fight the deadly disease that is prominent these days
- The day is observed worldwide in order to raise awareness about cancer and to apprise governments of the importance of taking action to prevent its rate of increase in the society
29.D J Pandian has been appointed as Vice- President of Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
- D J Pandian, a retired Gujarat cadre IAS officer, has been appointed as the vice-president and chief investment officer of the newly-created Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB)
- He is the former chief secretary of Gujarat, who also worked on deputation with the World Bank in Washington
30.Novelist, columnist and poet,Intizar Husain (93) passed away
- Legendary Urdu fiction writer, novelist, columnist and poet Intizar Husain (93) passed away in Lahore, Pakistan
- He was the first Pakistani and the first Urdu writer ever to be nominated for the prestigious literary award Man Booker International Prize for fiction. He was conferred the ‘Officer of the Order of Arts and Letters’ by France in 2014
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
31.World Bank Expert Mr. Iyer to Lead Swachh Bharat Mission
- The government has appointed World Bank’s water and sanitation specialist, Parameshwaran Iyer, as the new Secretary of the Drinking Water and Sanitation Department
- Iyer’s appointment is expected to create more synergy between the Swachh Bharat Mission and the objectives of the World Bank project
32.Aruna Sethi has been appointed as first woman for the head of Indian Cost Accounting Service
- Aruna Sethi, the Principal Adviser (Cost), on 1 February 2016 took over charge as the head of Indian Cost Accounts Service (ICoAS)
- Indian Cost Accounts Service is one of the six organized accounting services of the Government of India. It is comparatively young accounting service constituted in 1978
33.Phum Shang film has won the Golden Conch Award for the best documentary at Mumbai International Film Festival 2016
- Manipuri documentary film ‘Phum Shang’ has won the coveted Golden Conch Award for the best documentary at the 14th Mumbai International Film Festival (MIFF) 2016
- The 52-minute documentary Phum Shang is directed by Hao Bam Pabankumar, which critically examines the serious environmental problems faced at the Loktak lake
34.BGR-34 is the India’s first anti-diabetic ayurvedic drug for Type-2 diabetes mellitus
- The Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) has launched India’s first anti-diabetic ayurvedic drug “BGR-34” for Type-2 diabetes mellitus
- BGR-34 stands for Blood Glucose Regulator and offers effective, safe, patient-friendly solution for managing type two Diabetes
35.Aditya Mehta has won the 2016 National Snooker Championship
- Aditya Mehta has won the 83rd National Snooker Championship 2016 by defeating Manan Chandra by 6-3 in the men’s final round at Indore, Madhya Pradesh
36.The headquarters of the European Molecular Biology Organisation (EMBO) are located in Heidelberg
- Recently, India has officially become the associate member state of European Molecular Biology Organisation (EMBO)
- With this, after Singapore, India has become the second country outside the European region to sign the agreement with European Molecular Biology Conference (EMBC)
37.Geetu Mohandas has bagged the Global Filmmaking award at the Sundance Film Festival 2016
- Malayalam actress and film director, Geetu Mohandas from India has won the 2016 Global Filmmaking award at the Sundance Film Festival 2016 for the script of her upcoming film ‘Insha Allah’
- The film is about a boy from Lakshadweep searching for his brother, is an adventure drama
38.Tata Consultancy Services company has been rated as the world’s most powerful brand in IT Services
- India’s top multinational IT company Tata Consultancy Services (TCS) has been rated as the world’s most powerful brand in Information Technology Services by Brand Finance, the world’s leading brand valuation firm
- As per Brand Finance’s 2016 survey, TCS has earned an impressive AA+ rating with a score of 78.3 points within the IT services niche, which makes them the most powerful and most valuable brand in this sector
39.Vishakhapatnam city is hosting the International Fleet Review (IFR) 2016
- The International Fleet Review (IFR) 2016 is an International Military Exercise hosted and conducted by Indian Navy in Vishakhapatnam, Andhra Pradesh from February 4 to 8, 2016
- On the theme “United through Oceans”, the IFR’s objective is to enhance mutual trust and confidence with neighbouring navies by inviting their ships to participate in the event. The last IFR was conducted in 2001 at Mumbai
40.Amitabh Bachchan has been honoured with the lifetime achievement at the NDTV Indian of the Year 2015 awards
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan has been honoured with the lifetime achievement at the NDTV Indian of the Year 2015 awards in New Delhi for defining and redefining superstardom
41.USA has topped the Global Go to Think Tank Index Report (GGTTI) 2015
- The Global Go to Think Tank Index Report (GGTTI) 2015 has been topped by United States of America (USA) followed by China, UK, India and Germany
- The six Indian think tanks figured in the global top 175 list viz. Centre for Civil Society (CCS), Institute For Defence Studies and Analyses (IDSA), Indian Council for Research on International Economic Relations, The Energy and Resources Institute (TERI), Observer Research Foundation (ORF) and Development Alternatives
42.The 2016 Cobra Gold military exercise will be held in Thailand
- Cobra Gold is an annual Thai-U.S. co-sponsored joint and multinational military exercise
- Recently, India confirmed its participation in the 2016 Cobra Gold exercise
43.Gurdeep Singh named as Chairman and MD of NTPC
- Gurdeep Singh has taken charge as the Chairman and Managing Director of NTPC
- He replaces Arup Roy Choudhury, who retired from the post on August 31, 2015. In the interim, AK Jha, Director (Technical) at NTPC was given additional charge as the Chairman and Managing Director
44.Ananda Shankar will address India Conference at Harvard
- Renowned dancer-choreographer and speaker Dr Ananda Shankar Jayant will address the high-profile India Conference at Harvard in USA
- Ananda is a Sangeet Natak Akademi awardee and a motivational speaker with a popular talk at TED. She is a career Indian Railway Services Officer
45.The Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL) is located in Assam
- Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently dedicated the Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymer Limited (BCPL), a petrochemical complex, at Lepetkata, near Dibrugarh, Assam
- The BCPL is the first ever petro-chemical plant located in the entire North-Eastern region of India
- It has been built at cost of Rs.10000-crore and shall be producing raw material for manufacturing plastic
46.The National Organic Farming Research Institute will come up in Sikkim state
- The Union Ministry of Agriculture and Farmers Welfare has decided to establish the National Organic Farming Research Institute in Sikkim by upgrading the Regional Centre of the Indian Council of Agricultural Research in Gangtok
47.Swapnil Dhopade has won the IIFL Wealth Mumbai International Open Chess Tournament 2016
- Grandmaster Swapnil Dhopade from Maharashtra has won the IIFL Wealth Mumbai International Open Chess Tournament 2016
48.India, Australia, and England cricket boards have lost their permanent member status in International Cricket Council (ICC)
- The International Cricket Council (ICC) has removed the national cricket boards of India (BCCI), England (ECB) and Australia (CA) as the permanent members of its decision-making executive committee
- The decision in this regard has been taken due to the widespread criticism received by ICC suggesting that these countries would take over cricket at the expense of other member nations
49.Sri Aurobindo International Centre for Education (SAICE), Pondicherry institute has become the India’s first fully solar-powered educational institute
- The Sri Aurobindo International Centre for Education (SAICE), Pondicherry has become India’s first fully solar-powered educational institute
- The institute generates 3 times the electricity it consumes through solar power plants installed on the roofs of the dining room, primary school, library and high school in the campus
- The school has been using solar power to meet its energy needs since September 2014
50.The International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is observed on February 6 th
- The International Day of Zero Tolerance to Female Genital Mutilation (FGM) is a UN-sponsored awareness day that takes place February 6 each year
- Under the 2016 theme “Mobilizing to Achieve the Global Goals through the Elimination of FGM by 2030”, the day was observed to raise awareness of the practice and work towards its elimination
51.Astronaut Edgar Mitchell, who passed away recently, hails from United States
- NASA Astronaut Edgar Mitchell (85), one of just 12 human beings who walked on the moon, passed away in West Palm Beach, Florida
- As the Lunar Module Pilot of Apollo 14, he spent 9- hours working on the lunar surface in the Fra Mauro Highlands region that made him the 6th person to walk on the Moon
52.The Indo-Nepal military exercise ‘Surya Kiran 2016’ will be held in Pithoragarh
- The 9th Indo-Nepal Combined Battalion level Military Training Exercise ‘Surya Kiran’ will be conducted from February 8 to 21, 2016 at Pithoragarh, Uttarakhand
- The aim of the exercise is to enhance inter-operability between Indian and the Nepalese Army units
53.Former Lok sabha Speaker Balram Jakhar has passed away recently
- The former Lok Sabha Speaker and veteran Congress leader, Dr. Balram Jakhar (92) passed away recently
- He served as Speaker of Lok Sabha from 1980 to 1989 during which he contributed to the establishment of Parliament Museum
- He was also the Madhya Pradesh governor from June 30, 2004 to May 30, 2009 and also served as the union agriculture minister during former prime minister PV Narasimha Rao-led Congress government
54.Indian Origin Singaporean has been appointed as President of Diamond Trade Body
- Vishal Mehta, A 34-year-old Indian-origin man based in Singapore was appointed as President of the newly- formed International Grown Diamond Association (IGDA)
- Vishal Mehta, CEO of a Singapore-based company which makes lab diamond, was named President of the IGDA, a platform of more than 10 leading grown diamond producers, distributors and retailers
55.Political Cartoonist Sudhir Tailang passes away
- Famous political cartoonist Sudhir Tailang, passed away in Gurgaon, Haryana after battling with brain cancer for a long time. He was 56
- He was known for his political cartoons that chronicled contemporary Indian politics with wit and humour
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
WEEKLY CURRENT AFFAIRS 8th February-14th February, 2016
- Project Sunrise has been launched for prevention of AIDS in the eight North-Eastern states
- The Union government has launched a new initiative “Project Sunrise” to tackle the increasing HIV prevalence in the North-Eastern states
- The project is a five-year programme (2015-2020) aimed at complementing the ongoing National AIDS Control Programme (NACP) which is to primarily improve coverage, quality and scale of HIV interventions among People Who Inject Drugs (PWID) in the 8 North-East (NE) States
2.Renana Jhabvala has been invited from India to serve as a panelist on a UN panel on women’s economic empowerment
- Renana Jhabvala, an Ahmedabad-based social worker has been invited to serve as a panelist on a UN panel on women’s economic empowerment
- She is best known for her long association with the Self-Employed Women’s Association (SEWA), India, and for her writings on issues of women in the informal economy
3.The inaugural Kerala Literature Festival 2016 has been hosted by Kozhikode
- The inaugural Kerala Literature Festival 2016 has been hosted by the Department of Culture and Kozhikode Corporation in alliance with D.C. Books at Kozhikode, Kerala from February 4, 2016
- The festival had an array of contemporary topics set for discussion in its various sessions. Besides literature, spirituality, social media, women’s issues, Dalit issues, freedom of expression, environment issues, and media activism were the key topics of discussion in the fest
4.The first joint tactical exercise of India and China has been conducted in Ladakh
- India and China conducted their first joint tactical exercise in eastern Ladakh as part of the ongoing policy to ensure greater interaction between troops stationed along the Line of Actual Control and boost bilateral military CBMs
5.The first-ever Global Maritime Summit will be held in India in April 2016
- India will host the first-ever Global Maritime Summit in April 2016
- PM Modi quoted that “Oceans are lifelines of global prosperity. They present us with enormous economic opportunities to build our nation
6.The National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) is located in Odisha
- The Indian Prime Minister Narendra Modi has recently inaugurated the National Institute of Science Education and Research (NISER) located at Jatani in Bhubaneswar, Odisha
7.Currently, 12 countries are members of the Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) agreement
- The Trans-Pacific Partnership (TPP) is a multinational trade agreement among twelve Pacific Rim countries viz. Australia, Brunei Darussalam, Canada, Chile, Japan, Malaysia, Mexico, New Zealand, Peru, Singapore, Vietnam, and the United States
- The agreement entered into force after it was signed by 12 countries on 4 February 2016 in Auckland, New Zealand
8.Rahul Dravid has been named in ICC’s newly appointed Anti-Corruption Oversight Group
- Indian batting great Rahul Dravid has been named in ICC’s newly appointed Anti-Corruption Oversight Group as part of the recommendation from its Integrity Working Party of the parent body
- The oversight group will include legal expert Louis Weston and independent anti-corruption advisor John Abbott
9.North korea has launched a long-range rocket defying international warnings
- Recently, North Korea has fired a long-range rocket defying international sanctions
- The United States, Japan and South Korea condemned the launch, a move widely seen as step toward North Korea mastering the technology for making a missile capable of striking the mainland United States
10.Poet Nida Fazli passed away recently
- Muqtida Hasan Nida Fazli has taken his last breath on 8th Feb.He was an Indian Hindi and Urdu poet
- He has got many awards for his work in his entire career, some of them are as follows In 1998 Sahitya Akademi Award in Urdu for Khoya Hua Sa Kuchh, In 2003 Star Screen Award for Best Lyricist for Sur, In 2003 Bollywood Movie Award – Best Lyricist for Aa Bhi Ja from Sur and In 2013 Padma Shri; the Government of India
11.Joshna Chinappa Wins Gold In South Asian Games
- India’s ace squash player Joshna Chinappa has won the gold medal in women’s individual category at the 12th South Asian Games (SAG)
- she defeated Pakistan’s Maria Wazir by 10-12, 11-7, 11-9, 11-7 score
- With this she became first Indian squash player to win individual gold medal in 2016 SAG
12.Indian Wrestlers has won 14 out of 16 Gold In South Asian Games
- Indian wrestlers has grabbed, scooping 14 gold medals out of a total 16 on offer as the wrestling competition in the 12th South Asian Games
- India won gold in all the eight women’s categories, while their men counterparts won 6 gold and 2 silver
13.New Zealand cricket team won Chappell-Hadlee Trophy
- New Zealand on 8 February 2016 won the three-match Chappell-Hadlee Trophy of cricket against Australia, 2-1
- This win of the Black Caps can be termed as the best farewell gift for Brendon McCullum who retired from One-Day International (ODI) cricket after the match
14.Former Nepal Prime Minister Sushil Koirala Passes Away
- Nepal’s former prime minister Sushil Koirala passed away at his resident
- Koirala was suffering from Chronic Obstructive Pulmonary Disease (COPD) and has also been receiving treatment for “tongue cancer”.
- Koirala was appointed President of the party ( Congress ) in 2008 by President Girija Prasad Koirala
15.DMH-11 is the name of the genetically-modified (GM) mustard developed in India
- A research team led by Deepak Pental at Centre for Genetic Manipulation of Crop Plants of Delhi University have developed a GM Mustard known as DMH-11
- Recently, the Genetic Engineering Appraisal Committee (GEAC) has asked for additional clarifications on various data related to GM mustard from its developers. The GEAC has not yet approved using GM Mustard in the country
16.Jaipur International Airport is the first one in India to develop a color-coded map
- The Indian government is easing rules for granting construction permits around airports and monuments by developing colour-coded maps in a bid to give fillip to urban growth
- Jaipur International Airport is the first one to develop a colour-coded map. All the other civilian airports across India, including 28 defence airports that are being used for civilian purposes, will have their maps ready by December 2016
17.The famous Araku coffee is produced in Andhra Pradesh
- Araku valley is a famous hill station located in Vishakhapatnam district of Andhra Pradesh
- The valley is also famous for its rich coffee plantations
18.Brij Bhushan Singh has been appointed as the President of the South Asian Wrestling Federation (SAWF)
- Brij Bhushan Singh, who is the President of Wrestling Federation of India (WFI), has been appointed as the President of South Asian Wrestling Federation (SAWF)
19.India observes the National Deworming Day on February 10th
- The National Deworming Day is observed every year on February 10 to combat parasitic worm infections among preschool (anganwadi) and school-age children across India
- The day was launched by the Union Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (MoHFW)
20.Rajasthan state government has launched an initiative “School on wheels” for tribal children
- The Rajasthan state government has launched an initiative “School on Wheels” in Jaipur
- Under the initiative, a van, which houses a library, has been set up by an NGO ‘Taabar Society’
- The initiative has been introduced for spreading awareness about education among the tribal and nomadic children. The mobile school will use audio/video mediums to teach children in Jaipur district
21.Udyam Aakansha” scheme has been launched by Gujarat for promotion of SMEs
- The Chhattisgarh government has launched Udyam Aakansha Scheme for promoting micro, small and medium enterprises in the state
- The scheme would facilitate free online registration and self-certification to the investors interested in investment on micro, small and medium enterprises and service businesses
22.India’s first-ever Aviation Park will come up in Gujarat
- The Gujarat government has planned to set up the country’s first-ever Aviation Park near Ahmedabad having a slew of facilities including an airstrip, training school, helipad and space for setting up small manufacturing units among others
- There are hardly 3 or 4 such parks in the world
23.Union Government releases Hydrocarbon Vision 2030
- Union Ministry of state for Petroleum and Natural gas (MoPNG) has released the Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 for north-east India
- The Hydrocarbon Vision 2030 outlines steps to leverage the hydrocarbon sector for social and economic development of the north-east region
24.INS Viraat to be Converted into luxury Hotel
- The world’s oldest aircraft carrier, INS Viraat, is all set to be converted into a luxury hotel to attract tourists once it is decommissioned from service in June 2016
- The Defence Ministry has given its nod to a proposal from Andhra Pradesh Tourism Development Corporation (APTDC) to convert the Centaur-class aircraft carrier into a hotel-cum-museum
25.Lord’s will Host Women’s World Cup Final In 2017
- The hallowed Lord’s will host the final of the Women’s Cricket World Cup in 2017.
- It will be the first time the tournament will be held in England since 1993 when the home side beat New Zealand in the final at Lord’s
26.India’s position in milk production is First in the world
- India is the major producer of milk in the world, recorded a milk production figure of 146.31 million tonnes in 2014-15 as compared to 137.7 million tonnes a year ago
- India is followed by USA, China, Pakistan and Brazil
27.Maharashtra has topped the 2016 Index of Internet Readiness of Indian States
- Maharashtra has topped the “2016 Internet Readiness Index” followed by Karnataka, Gujarat, Telangana and Tamil Nadu
- The report has been released by Internet and Mobile Association of India (IAMAI)and Indicus Analytics
- The ‘Internet-readiness’ is measured as internet penetration and usage in Indian states using four indicators: mobile and internet infrastructure, e-participation or use of online transactions and services by citizens, status of the IT service sector, and e-governance services offered by the states
28.India’s position is 37th in the USCC’s 2016 Intellectual Property Index
- India has been ranked 37th out of 38 countries for its intellectual property rights environment in the annual IP index released by the United States Chamber of Commerce (USCC)
- The index is based on six key parameters like rights and limitations of the patent, copyright and trademark regimes, trade secrets, enforcement and ratification of international treaties
29.Noor Ouarzazate Solar complex is located in Morocco
- The world’s largest concentrated solar power plant “Noor Ouarzazate Solar Complex” has been opened in the Souss-Massa-Drâa area in Morocco, 10 km from Ouarzazate town
- The plant holds the capacity to produce enough energy to power over one million homes by 2018 and reduce carbon emissions by an estimated 760000 tons per year
30.Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has been conferred with the first world Sanskrit Award
- Thai Princess Maha Chakri Sirindhorn has been conferred with the first world Sanskrit Award
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
31.India’s first international arbitration centre will come up in Mumbai
- The Maharashtra government will set up India’s first international arbitration centre in Mumbai
- The centre will prove to be a big step forward in realizing the transformation of Mumbai into an international financial centre
32.Kajol has been appointed as the part time member of the Prasar Bharti Board
- The bollywood actress Kajol has been appointed as the part-time member of the Prasar Bharati board
- Beside her, the committee headed by Vice President Hamid Ansari has also chosen Shashi Shekhar Vempati, who has previously worked with Infosys and now heads an online media company, for the post of part-time member on the public broadcaster’s board
33.The Delhi police has tied up with ISRO to track crime in the city
- The Crime Mapping, Analytics and Predictive System (CMAPS) has been operationalised by Delhi Police in partnership with ISRO for effective use of space technology-based tools for ensuring internal security using a “predictive policing” and “live crime mapping” mechanism
- The system will provide real-time information from crime spots and identify gang activities. Through this system, police will be able to identify areas which has mass gathering, chain snatching, etc, using coordinates and GPS information
34.R K Verma has been appointed as New Secretary Of Railway Board
- A 1980 batch officer of Indian Railway Services Of Engineer Mr. R K Verma has assumed the charge as Secretary, Railway Board
- Earlier he has served as Adviser (Public Grievance) to the Minister of State (MoS) for Railways
35.India’s first disabled-friendly beach will come up in Gujarat
- India’s first disabled friendly beach will come up at the Tithal beach in Valsad district, Gujarat
- It aims to provide better facilities to the disabled peoples at the public places like hospitals, parks, movie theatres, etc
- The facilities will be designed in such a way that disabled people can access them without any assistance
36.Vani Mahesh is the author of the book titled “A Kingdom For His Love”
- A fiction book titled “A Kingdom For His Love” has been co-authored by Vani Mahesh and Shinie Antony, which is recently launched by Amar Chitra Katha (ACK)
- It is an immersive novel about two people coming together against all odds for the sake of true love
37.Davinder Singh has been named vice-chairman of ICC Commission
- Davinder Singh, a top Indian-origin lawyer in Singapore, has been named as Vice-Chairman of International Chamber of Commerce Commission (ICC) on Corporate Responsibility and Anti- corruption
38.Harinder Sidhu has been appointed as new Australian High Commissioner to India
- Indian-origin Harinder Sidhu has been appointed as Australian High Commissioner to India
- She replaces outgoing High Commissioner Patrick Suckling
39.India has set the target of eliminating malaria in the country
- The Indian government has launched the National Framework for Malaria Elimination (NFME) 2016-2030, which outlines the country’s strategy for elimination of the disease by 2030
- The incidence of malaria in the country is at 0.08% in a population of nearly 1.25 billion
40.Currency Swap Agreement is signed between Reserve Bank of India (RBI) and UAE Central Bank
- The RBI has signed a pact with the Central Bank of the UAE to enter into a Currency Swap Agreement, which is aimed at strengthening economic ties with the Gulf nation
- The MoU was signed between RBI chief Raghuram Rajan and UAE’s Central Bank Governor Mubarak Rashed Al Mansoori
41.The Laser Interferometer Gravitational-Wave Observatory (LIGO) detectors are located in United States
- Scientists for the first time have observed ripples in the space-time called gravitational waves
- This confirms a major prediction of Albert Einstein’s 1915 general theory of relativity and opens an unprecedented new window onto the cosmos
- The gravitational waves were detected by both of the twin Laser Interferometer Gravitational-wave Observatory (LIGO) detectors, located in Livingston, Louisiana, and Hanford, Washington, USA
42.India’s first LCD panel plant will come up in Maharashtra
- Vedanta Group’s owner Anil Agarwal has announced that his firm Twinstar Display Technologies will set up India’s first LCD manufacturing facility, known as Panel FAB, in Maharashtra with an investment of $10 billion
43.The World Radio Day is observed on February 13th
- The World Radio Day is observed every year on February 13 to educate people, to provide information and to promote freedom of expression across cultures
- This year’s theme of the day is “Radio in Times of Emergency and Disaster”
44.Vidya Balan has been honoured with the ‘Pride of Kerala’ award
- The National award winning actress Vidya Balan, who hails from Kerala, has been honoured with the ‘Pride of Kerala’ award by the World Malayalee Council and Kairali TV
45.West Indies has won the ICC U-19 Cricket World Cup 2016
- The West Indies has won the 2016 ICC Under-19 Cricket World Cup title by defeating three time champion India in Mirpur, Bangladesh
- This is the first time West Indies won the title. The Man of the match award was presented to Keacy Carty (West Indies)
46.Vilas Tonapi has been appointed as the director of Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR)
- Dr. Vilas A. Tonapi has been appointed as the director of Indian Institute of Millets Research (IIMR), Rajendranagar, Hyderabad
- Previously, he was the Principal Scientist at Seed Science and Technology of the IIMR
47.Martina Hingis and Sania Mirza pair has won the 2016 St Petersburg Ladies Trophy (WTA)
- The top seeded Indo-Swiss pair Sania Mirza and Martina Hingis has won the 2016 St. Petersburg Ladies’ Trophy
- They defeated Russian-Czech team of Vera Dushevina and Barbora Krejcikova in straight sets to take their fourth title of the 2016 season at Saint Petersburg, Russia
48.Jharkhand has become the first ever state to e-auction limestone blocks
- Jharkhand has become the first ever state to auction two limestone blocks through an electronic platform after the passage of the MMDR Act by Parliament
49.Leonardo DiCaprio has won the best actor award at the 2016 BAFTA awards
- At the 69th British Academy of Film and Television Arts (BAFTA) 2016 awards,’ The Revenant’ has won the Best Film award along with Best Actor (Leonardo DiCaprio), Best Director (Alejandro Gonzalez) and Best Cinematography (Emmanuel Lubezki)
- Brie Larson has won the best actress award for her role as a kidnapped mother in ‘Room’
50.Gemini Arabians team has won the inaugural Masters Champions League title (cricket)
- Virender Sehwag’s Gemini Arabians has defeated Brian Lara’s Leo Lions in the final to clinch the inaugural Masters Champions League title
- The tournament was contested by six teams of fifteen players, all former international cricketers
51.Ashok Chawla has been appointed as Chairman Of TERI
- TERI’s governing council appointed Ashok Chawla as its new chairman
- Chawla is the former Union Finance Secretary and former Chairman of the Competition Commission
52.Kavita Raut Clinched Gold In South Asian games Marathon
- India long distance runner Kavita Raut clinches gold in marathon
- The 30 year old Raut easily clinched the marathon gold in 2 hours 38 minutes and 38 seconds to become the 4th Indian women to have qualified for Rio Games women’s marathon
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
WEEKLY CURRENT AFFAIRS 14-21st feb, 2016
- MP & Rajasthan have set up SPVs for implementation of Smart City Plans
- Madhya Pradesh and Rajasthan Government have set up Special Purpose Vehicles (SPV) for the implementation of Smart City Plans.
- SPVs have been set up for five cities – Jabalpur, Indore and Bhopal in Madhya Pradesh and Jaipur and Udaipur in Rajasthan.
- India and Nepal have signed seven agreements for cooperation in various fields
- These agreements were signed at a summit meeting of Prime Minister Narendra Modi and his visiting Nepali counterpart KP Sharma Oli in New Delhi.
- The First official foreign visit of K.P. Sharma Oli after he became Prime Minister of Nepal.
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully tested cryogenic engine on GSLV Mark 3 rocket
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has successfully conducted hotbed test of the indigenously developed high-thrust cryogenic engine (CE20) of the GSLV Mark 3 (LVM3) rocket for the upper stage.
- The long-duration test was conducted at ISRO Propulsion Research Centre at Mahendragiri, Tamil Nadu and lasted for 640 seconds.
- It was conducted with Mixture Ratio Controller (MRC) in a closed loop mode.
- Christine Lagarde has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of the IMF
- Christine Lagarde from France has been appointed as the Managing Director (MD) of the International Monetary Fund for a second five-year term.
- She was sole candidate nominated for the post and was re-nominated by IMF’s Executive Board decision taken by consensus.
- Her new term will start on 5th July 2016 till 2021.
- Kalikho Pul has been sworn-in as the 9th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh
- Kalikho Pul has been sworn-in as the 9th Chief Minister of Arunachal Pradesh after Governor JP Rajkhowa used his discretionary powers to appoint him.
- Earlier Kalikho Pul was in Congress Party and had served as State Finance Minister from 2003 until 2007 in the Government led by Chief Minister Gegong Apang.
6.Renowned Novelist Harper Lee passes away
- US writer Harper Lee passed away in Monroeville, Alabama, US at the age of 89.
- She had authored a novel ‘To Kill a Mockingbird’ released in 1960 which had become a classic of modern American literature.
- It has sold more than 40 million copies worldwide.
- Sameer Anjaan creates world record by composing 3524 songs
- Bollywood lyricist Sameer Anjaan has created world record by composing around 3524 different songs in 650 Bollywood movies.
- Guinness Book of World Records has officially recognised him as the Most prolific Bollywood Lyricist Ever.
- Amit Mitrahas been appointed As New Chairman Of GST Committee
- West Bengal Finance Minister Amit Mitra has been appointed as the Chairman of the Empowered Committee of State Finance Ministers on Goods and Services Tax (GST).
- He will succeed Kerala Finance Minister K M Mani who had to resign in November over corruption charges.
9.Jal Manthan 2016 has been inaugurated by Sushri Uma Bharti
- Union Minister of Water Resources, River Development and Ganga Rejuvenation, Sushri Uma Bharti inaugurated Jal Manthan -2″ on February 22, 2016 New Delhi.
- The main theme of two day event was Integrated Approach for Sustainable Water Management.
- Prasar Bharati has signed a MoU with Empressa de Brazil Communicacao (EBC)
- Prasar Bharati has signed a MoU with Empressa de Brazil Communicacao (EBC) in connection with several broadcast related activities including exchange of news, programmes and co-production.
- This MoU is being described as historical as it is the first agreement that Prasar Bharati has signed with any South American country.
- The World Bank decided to support to the Rajasthan government on energy reforms.
- The World Bank has decided to lend support to the Rajasthan government on energy reforms.
- The decision was taken at a meeting between World Bank country director in India, Onno Ruhl and Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje.
- ”Playing It My Way” Sachin Tendulkar’s autobiography has entered the Limca Book of records
- Cricket Legend Sachin Tendulkar’s autobiography, Playing It My Way, has entered the Limca Book of Records in the category of best-selling books across both fiction and nonfiction categories.
- The book has been published by Hachette India in the year 2014 with Boria Majumdar as the co-author of the book.
- “Make in India Week” a long week event concludes in Mumbai
- The Make in India week concluded in Mumbai, after it was inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi on February 13, 2016.
- The event has secured investment commitments worth Rs 15.2 lakh crore, with host state Maharashtra alone accounting for Rs 8 lakh crore.
- Warren Richardson An Australian Photographer Wins World Press Photo of 2015
- The jury of the 59th annual World Press Photo Contest has selected an image by Australian photographer Warren Richardson as the World Press Photo of the Year 2015.
- Richardson is a freelance photographer, currently based in Budapest, Hungary.
- Karnataka Bank bags IBSA Banking Technology Award
- Karnataka Bank Ltd has won the IBA Banking Technology Award’ in the category of ‘Best Risk and Fraud Management Initiative.
- Mahabaleshwara MS, Chief General Manager of the bank has received the award from HR Khan, Deputy Governor of RBI and Ashwani Kumar, Chairman of IBA in Mumbai.
- Cipla acquires two US generic drug companies
- Indian pharmaceutical giant Cipla Ltd. has acquired two US generic drug companies, InvaGen Pharmaceuticals Inc. and Exelan Pharmaceuticals Inc.
- These deals will allow Cipla to further strengthen its presence in the US pharmaceutical market which is world’s largest pharmaceutical market.
17.Arun Jaitley Releases ‘India-2016’ And ‘Bharat-2016’ Year Books
- Union Minister for Information & Broadcasting Arun Jaitley released ‘Bharat 2016’ and ‘India 2016’ yearbooks.
- These books give comprehensive information about the country and various States and Union Territories including functioning of the Government and the economy.
- Uber has Signed a MoU with The Maharashtra Government
- Uber has signed a MoU with the Maharashtra government’s i.e Skill Development & Entrepreneurship Department to create 75,000 entrepreneurship opportunities across the state over the next 5 years.
- Uber Technologies is an American multinational mobile ride hail company headquartered in San Francisco, California.
- Uber was founded as “UberCab” by Travis Kalanick and Garrett Camp.
- Fashion Designer Manish Arora Awarded “Knight Of The Legion Of Honour” i.e France’s Highest Honour
- Fashion designer Manish Arora has been conferred with the Chevalier de la Legion d’Honneur i.e (Knight of the Legion of Honour).
- It is France’s highest civilian honour.
20.Nitin Seth has been appointed as Chief people officer for flipkart
- India’s biggest online marketplace Flipkart has announced the appointment of Nitin Seth as its Chief People Officer.
- He replaced Mekin Maheshwari who was associated with the company since its inception.
21.Jayant Misra has been appointed as Director General of DRI.
- Senior IRS officer Jayant Misra has been appointed as Director General of Directorate of Revenue Intelligence (DRI).
- Najib Shah, now Chairman of Central Board of Excise and Customs, was holding the charge of DG DRI.
22.ASTRO-H satellite to study black holes has been launched by Japan Aerospace agency
- Japan has successfully launched ASTRO-H space observation satellite to probe mysterious black holes.
- The satellite was launched by H2A rocket after it had successfully lifted off at the Tanegashima Space Centre.
23.Renowned Malayalam writer Akbar Kakkattil passes away
- Renowned Malayalam writer Akbar Kakkattil passed away in Kozhikode, Kerala due to cancer.
- He was 62 and was known for giving birth to a new genre in Malayalam literature and his works are known for their unique narrative style which has an undertone of unfailing humour.
24.Renowned Indologist David Shulman has been selected for Israel Prize
- Renowned Indologist Professor David Shulman has been selected for the prestigious Israel Prize for his breakthrough studies in fields like philosophy and religion.
- In 1987, he had won prestigious MacArthur Fellowship becoming 1st Israeli to win it.
25.India has successfully test-fired its indigenously developed Prithvi-II missile.
- Prithvi II Missile Successfully Test Fired by DRDO scientist and was conducted by Strategic Force Command (SFC).
- The missile test was carried out from a mobile launcher from launch complex-3 of the Integrated Test Range (ITR).
26.State Bank of India (SBI) has launched ‘Japan Desk’, a single window for inbound Japanese investments in India.
- India’s largest lender State Bank of India (SBI) has launched ‘Japan Desk’, a single window for inbound Japanese investments in India and vice-versa.
- In future, SBI is also planning to set up another dedicated Japan Desk at Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
27.India’s 1st Lightest Gun “Nidar” Launched
- India’s first indigenously developed lightest revolver (gun) Nidar weighing merely 250 grams was successfully launched to boost the “Make In India” initiative.
28.HCL Tech to buy Volvo Group’s External IT Business
- HCL technology, 4th Largest software services giant has acquired Volvo group’s external IT business and signed a deal for 5 year outsourcing with Volvo.
- HCL claims that the deal is one of the largest IT deals signed by any Indian IT company and definitely the largest in HCL’s history so far.
29.India participated in Cobra Gold 2016 multilateral exercise
- India has participated in the Cobra Gold 2016 multilateral amphibious exercise hosted by Thailand after 12 member Indian Army delegation joined it.
- Cobra Gold 2016 is 35th edition of multilateral exercise in which 35 countries have participated and its main theme is “humanitarian assistance and disaster relief”.
- The 24th National Homoeopathic Congress Homeo-Vision 2016 was inaugurated at Nagpur
- The twenty fourth National Homoeopathic Congress Homeo-Vision 2016 was inaugurated by the Minister of State for AYUSH and Health and Family Welfare.
- The objective of Ministry of AYUSH is to develop the four core areas such as education, research, drug development and health care delivery.
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
- Jharkhand Chief Minister Raghubar Das inaugurated the first mega food park in Jharkhand.
- Union Food Processing and Industry Minister Harsimrat Kaur Badal and Chief Minister Raghubar Das inaugurated the first mega food park at Village Getalsud, Ranchi in Jharkhand.
- The Mega Food Park is expected to provide direct and indirect employment to about 6000 people and benefit about 25,000-30,000 farmers in its catchment area.
32.India And Sweden Signed MoU On Technical Cooperation For Railway
- The ministry of railways signed a memorandum of understanding with the government of Sweden for technical cooperation.
- The main objective of the MoU, signed by Sweden’s ministry of enterprise and innovation is cooperation between the two countries to promote efficiency and sustainability for railways system.
33.A Joint Military Exercise Between India And Seychelles named “LAMITYE 2016” has begun in Seychelles
- The 7th edition of India & Seychelles joint military exercise has begun in Victoria, Seychelles.
- In 2016 exercise, the Indian contingent will comprise of an Infantry platoon and representatives from the Special Forces.
34.Sindh became first Pakistan province to adopt Hindu Marriage Bill
- Sindh became the first Pakistan province to adopt landmark Hindu Marriage Bill, 2015 in order to allow the minority community to register their marriages.
- The law fixes the minimum age must be 18 years.
- Any person failing to get his marriage registered after solemnisation will be liable to pay a fine of Rs. 1,000 .
35.M Devaraja Reddy has been appointed as ICAI President
- Devaraja Reddy has been elected as President of The Institute of Chartered Accountants of India (ICAI).
- He will have tenure of one year of ICAI which is an apex body of Indian Chartered Accountant.
36.DRDO to conduct captive flight trails of Anti-Radiation Missile
- Defence Research and Development Organisation (DRDO) has decided to conduct captive flight trials of an advanced, state-of-the-art Anti-Radiation Missile (ARM) in April-May 2016.
- During captive flight trials DRDO scientist will evaluate performance of the missile’s heat seeker, structural capability, navigation and control system and aerodynamic vibrations.
37.Mysore declared cleanest city in Swachh Sarvekshan 2016
- Mysore city from Karnataka has been ranked first in terms of cleanliness for second time in row among the 73 surveyed cities in Swachh Sarvekshan 2016.
- It was announced by Urban Development Minister Venkaiah Naidu during the Swachh Sarvekshan 2016 award function held in New Delhi.
- President Pranab Mukherjee has conferred the Infosys Prize 2015
- President Pranab Mukherjee has conferred the Infosys Prizes to six winners for their outstanding contribution in the research fields in New Delhi for the year 2015
- The Prize were given across five categories: Engineering and Computer Science, Life Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Physical Sciences and Social Sciences and the Humanities
- The Mahamaham festival is celebrated in Tamil Nadu
- The Mahamaham festival is celebrated once in twelve years is going to happen again on February 22, 2016 at Kumbakonam in Thanjavur District, Tamil Nadu
- Here, thousands of devotees take a holy dip at the Mahamaham tank on the day of Mahamaham as sacred
- The festival that come once in 12 years is often termed as equivalent to the grand religious event in Allahabad
- Apple to Set Up Its 1st Technology Center In India
- Apple has confirmed its 1st technology centre in India at Hyderabad, at a cost of $25 million.
- Spread across 2,50,000 square feet, the centre will help Apple develop maps and make them available in its iPhones and Mac systems.
- It is set to open by June, becoming fully operational by the end of the year. The facility is projected to create 4,500 jobs
- U.K. Sinha will continue as SEBI Chairman
- UK Sinha will continue to lead India’s capital and commodities market regulator for one more year.
- The government extended Sinha’s term as the chairman of Securities and Exchange Board of India (Sebi) till March 01, 2017
- Sinha took over as Sebi chairman in 2011 with a three-year term. After that he was given a two-year extension
42.Sri Srinivasan has Become The 1st Indian American Judge Of US Supreme Court
- Sri Srinivasan to become the first Indian-American Judge of the U S Supreme Court to replace Justice Antonin Scalia after his unexpected death
- He originally from a village near Tamil Nadu’s Tirunelveli. His family migrated to the US in the 1960s and settled in Lawrence, Texas.
- He made history in 2013 when he became the first Asian American and Indian American to serve in the Court of Appeals in the D.C. Circuit, long cited as the stepping stone to the uppermost echelon, the Supreme Court
43.India’s largest coal washery will be set up in Chhattisgarh
- The South Eastern Coalfields Limited (SECL), a subsidiary of the Coal India Limited (CIL), will set up India’s largest coal washery with a capacity of 25 million tonnes per annum (MTPA) in Korba district of Chhattisgarh
- The project will be known as Kusmunda coal washery. The washery would be built in 41.23 hectare area in villages Durpa and Jarha jel in Korba, about 250 km from Raipur. The existing largest coal washery is also located in Korba district
- Dominic Thiem has won the ATP Argentina Open 2016
- Dominic Thiem of Australia has won the Association of Tennis Professionals (ATP) Argentina Open 2016 by defeating Nicolas Almagro in the final
- Thiem reached the final after beating former No. 1 Rafael Nadal in the semi-finals. With this win, he claimed his fourth ATP singles title
45.Biraja Prasad, Indian Ambassador To Tajikistan Passes Away
- Biraja Prasad, India’s Ambassador to Tajikistan passed away following a massive cardiac arrest
- He was the youngest Indian Foreign Service (IFS) officer to be appointed as India’s Ambassador to any country
- Mr. Biraja Prasad , who belonged to Odisha started his career as diplomat
46.Albert Pahimi Padacke is the new prime minister of Chad
- President Idriss Deby has appointed MP Albert Pahimi Padacke as new Prime Minister of the Central African country Chad
- His appointment came after the resignation of his predecessor, just two months ahead of presidential elections
47.Delhi Airport launches mobile application ‘DIAL Cargo’
- Delhi International Airport Ltd (DIAL) has launched a mobile application ‘DIAL Cargo’ for cargo operations to reduce paperwork and track movement of shipments on real time basis
- DIAL runs the international airport in the national capital
- The mobile application would aid in electronic clearance of cargo through the customs Department.
- Delhi airport handled 7 lakh tonnes of cargo in 2014-15
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
WEEKLY CURRENT AFFAIRS 22-29th Feb, 2016
- Resul Pookutty becomes first Asian to win Golden Reel Award
- Resul Pookutty won the best sound for documentary “India’s Daughter” directed by Leslee Udwin
- It is based on the Delhi gangrape incident of December 2012
- The government had banned public screening airing of the documentary
2.Twitter has launched the Position of Strength Campaign to Empower Women
- Position of strength campaign has been launched with the partnership of FICCI Ladies Organisation and Observer Research Foundation.
- It seeks to engage more women to find their voices online and help them to communicate safely with confidence and network with other like-minded women.
- Dinesh Sharma new Chairperson of IFAD
- Dinesh Sharma has been unanimously elected as the Chairperson of the Governing Council of IFAD for a period of two years in its 39th session held in Rome, Italy.
- International Fund for Agricultural Development was set-up in 1977 as the 13th Specialised Agency of the United Nations.
- It work towards removing poverty and hunger in rural areas all over the world.
- President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurates Kerala Tourism’s Muziris Heritage Project
- President Pranab Mukherjee inaugurated the first phase of Kerala Tourism’s Muziris Heritage Project (MHP) at Thrissur in Kerala to reinstate the historical and cultural significance of Muziris.
- The project is Kerala Government’s first green Project and India’s largest heritage conservation project.
- Further, President also has launched the website of MHP.
- President Pranab Mukherjee declares Kerala as the first digital state
- President Pranab Mukherjee has formally declared Kerala as the country’s first digital state.
- It was announced after launching a digital empowerment campaign at a function held in Kozhikode.
- The campaign aims at bridging the digital divide by 2020.
6.Ex-DRDO DG Dr Avinash Chander awarded Aryabhata Award
- Former DRDO Director-General (DG) Dr Avinash Chander has been awarded prestigious Aryabhatta Award of Astronautical Society of India.
- Dr Avinash bestowed with this award in recognition for his contribution to missile technology.
- He presented with this award from Dr R Chidambaram, Principal Scientific Advisor to Union Government, and Dr A S Kiran Kumar, Chairman ISRO.
7.Gianni Infantino elected as President of FIFA
- Gianni Infantino aged (45) of Switzerland has been elected as new President of Fédération Internationale de Football Association (FIFA), a global governing body of football.
- He declared winner after winning a second-round vote by securing 115 of the 207 eligible votes in the 2016 FIFA Extraordinary Congress held in Zurich, Switzerland.
- He is the 9th president of FIFA
- 13th World Spice Congress begins in Ahmedabad
- 13th WSC has been jointly organized by the Spices Board, Cochin Hill Produce Merchants’ Association, and India Pepper and Spice Trade Association.
- It seeks to chalk out a credible and actionable roadmap to push further the growth of spices industry and address challenges faced by it across the globe.
9.ISRO to set up Satellite Centre for ASEAN countries in Vietnam
- This facility is intended to acquire and process Indian Remote Sensing Satellite(IRS) data pertaining to ASEAN region and disseminate to ASEAN Member countries.
- Under this initiative, all 10 ASEAN member countries including Vietnam will be allowed to access processed remote sensing data pertaining to their country.
10.Rajendra Singh appointed as DG of Coast Guard
- Mr Singh, first officer from the Coast Guard cadre elevated to three-star officer by the Union Defence Ministry during his appointment as ADG in 2013.
- Union Government appoints 3 Information commissioners of CIC
- The Union Government has appointed three Information Commissioners at the Central Information Commission (CIC).
- They were administered the oath of office by Chief Information Commissioner Radha Krishna Mathur.
- Appointees are Amitava Bhattacharya, Bimal Julka and Divya Prakash Sinha.
12.ISRO gears up for launch of India’s first solar mission Aditya-L1
- The Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) is set to launch the country’s first solar mission called Aditya-L1 during 2019 – 2020 time frame.
- As part of the mission, Aditya-L1 satellite will be placed in an orbit about 15 lakh kilometres from the earth in a halo orbit around the Lagrangian point 1 (L1) and launched by PSLV XL.
13.Chemical Scientist Goverdhan Mehta has been Awarded with Germany’s prestigious Award
- Chemical scientist and well-known researcher Goverdhan Mehta has been conferred with Germany’s prestigious Cross of the Order of Merit (Bundesverdienstkreuz) Award.
- Goverdhan Mehta is the former Vice-Chancellor of University of Hyderabad (UoH) from 1994 to 1998.
- He authored more than 400 research papers.
- Auditor Vinod Rai appointed as First chairman of Banks Board Bureau
- The PM Narendra Modi recently approved the proposal of the department of financial services for the constitution of the Banks Board Bureau.
- Former CAG of India Vinod Rai will be its chairman.
- The Banks Board Bureau (BBB) is a four-member board comprising former CMDs of banks and experts from the financial services sector.
- EPFO raised the age limit for withdrawal of their provident fund
- Employees Provident Fund Organization subscribers now can claim withdrawal of their provident fund after attaining age of 57 years from 54 years.
- Indian origin sikh Amar Singh appointed as Police Commissioner of Kuala Lumpur
- Amar Singh becomes first person of Indian origin (PIO) and first Malaysian Sikh to achieve the highest police rank in the Muslim-majority country.
- India’s first rail-auto transportation and logistics hub has been proposed for Tamil Nadu
- India’s first rail-auto transportation and logistics hub will going to be set up in Walajabad, near Chennai, Tamil Nadu.
- The auto hub will help automobile manufacturers in the region by transporting vehicles to other parts of the country.
- Odisha has launched ‘Niramaya’ scheme for distribution of free medicines
- The Odisha government has recently introduced 50 vehicles equipped with Global Positioning System (GPS) to transport medicines to State- run hospitals in remote areas.
- The Niramaya Yojana that was launched in May 2015, is a scheme under which 570 different medicines are being provided to patients free of cost in government hospitals.
- Yoichiro Ueno appointed as President and CEO of Honda cars India
- Yoichiro Ueno has been appointed as new President and Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Honda Cars India by its parent Honda Motor Company.
- Prior to this appointment, Yoichiro Ueno was the CEO and Managing Director (MD) of Honda Malaysia Sdn. Bhd. since January 2011.
- Ex-CJI HL Dattu has been appointed as new Chairman of NHRC
- Union Government has selected former Chief Justice of India (CJI) H L Dattu as new Chairman of National Human Rights Commission (NHRC).
- He will succeed Mr. K.G. Balakrishnan who had demitted office after his five-year term ended in May 2015.
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team
- YES Bank has won Green Bond Pioneer Award
- It is the only Indian bank to be recognized as first Green Bond Awards.
- It is India’s fifth largest private sector bank.
- United National Development Programme (UNDP) appointed Bangladeshi cricketer Mashrafe Bin Mortaza as National Goodwill Ambassador For Youth.
- Mortaza has became the first person to be appointed as a goodwill ambassador for youth development in Bangladesh.
- He was presented with a certificate in Dhaka by UNDP Bangladesh Resident Representative Robert Watkins.
- India approves $150 million credit line for Iran’s Chabahar port
- India has approved a $150 million credit line for the development of Iran’s Chabahar port.
- The port in southeast Iran is to circumvent arch-rival Pakistan and open up a route to landlocked Afghanistan where it has developed close security ties and economic interests.
- Jonathan Sinclair Neal has been appointed as CEO of AAE Travel
- AAE Travels is the joint venture between AirAsia and Expedia Inc which is a Singapore based online travel company.
- The trilateral naval exercise IBSAMAR 2016 between India,South africa & Brazil initiated in Goa.
- This is the first time that this exercise has been held in India, as all the previous editions were held in South Africa since it began in 2006.
- The IBSAMAR trilateral naval exercise epitomises the strong long-term strategic relationship between the three democracies and vibrant economies.
- Ratan Tata To Head ‘Indian Railways’ innovation Committee
- Suresh Prabhu, Minister of Railway has announced Ratan Tata to head the Indian Railway Innovation Committee.
- The main aim is to carry out detailed analysis leading to optimized investment decisions and operations.
- Rohit Sharma has been named as global ambassador of Nissan
- Japanese Car maker Nissan has named Indian cricketer Rohit Sharma as their new global ambassador.
- Nissan also named West Indies all-rounder Andre Russell and New Zealand women’s team captain Suzie Bates as its ambassadors.
- Long Distance Runner Lalita Babar named as The Sports Person Of The Year
- India’s top female Long-distance runner Lalita Babar was named as the Sports Person of the Year in the India Sports Awards 2015.
- The Ceremony organised by the Federation of Indian Chambers of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) with the support of the supports ministry.
- Afghanistan’s National Women’s Cycling Team nominated for 2016 Nobel Peace Prize
- Afghanistan’s National Women’s Cycling Team is among the first Afghan girls to be riding bikes socially.
- It was the 1st Afghan women team to compete on the international stage, at the Asian Cycling Championships which was held in Delhi.
- GVK Bio wins Global CSR Excellence & Leadership Awards
- GVK Biosciences has bagged the Global CSR Excellence & Leadership Awards in the category of Best Environment-Friendly Project.
- The award has been given for its ‘Go Green, Grow Green’ plantation drive.
- World’s 1st fast-acting Anti-Rabies drug to be launched in India
- World’s first fast-acting anti-rabies drug Rabies Human Monoclonal Antibody (RMAb) is going to be launched in India.
- The drug has been developed by Pune-based Serum Institute of India (SII) and US-based MassBiologics of the University of Massachusetts Medical School.
- Indian Origin Ismail Mahomed Conferred Knighthood By French Government
- An Indian-origin art lover and playwright Ismail Mahomed from South Africa has been knighted by the French government for his lifelong devotion to the promotion of arts.
- Haryana to become the first state in India to have Aquifer mapping
- To find out the exact location of the Aquifer rocks a new mapping technique is to be introduced in Haryana by May, making it as the first state to have such mapping.
- The US Air force tested Minuteman missile from California
- The US InterContinental Ballistic Missile Minuteman 3 was launched from Vandenberg Air force Base in California.
- It carried a re-entry vehicle that can target 4200 Miles away to the Marshall Islands of Pacific Ocean.
- Brendon McCullum Scores Fastest Hundred In Test History
- Brendon McCullum has blasted the fastest century in Test history in his 101st and final match for New Zealand before retiring.
- His attempt was two balls faster than the previous record of 56-ball century scored by Richards against England in Antigua in 1985-86, which was equalled by Misbah-ul-Haq against Australia in Abu Dhabi in 2014-15.
- Stan Wawrinka wins 2016 Dubai ATP Tennis title
- Stan Wawrinka from Switzerland has won the 2016 Dubai ATP Tennis title in the men’s singles category.
- Sara Errani from Italy won the 2016 Dubai ATP Tennis title in the women’s singles category.
- E-Tourist Visa Scheme extended to 37 more countries
- The Union Government has extended E-Tourist Visa Scheme to 37 more countries.
- The head count of the countries under this new scheme will add up to 150.
- Sanjay Leela Bhansali and Ranveer Singh have been chosen for 2016 Dinanath Mangeshkar Award
- Filmmaker Sanjay Leela Bhansali and actor Ranveer Singh have been chosen for the prestigious 2016 Pandit Dinanath Mangeshkar Award.
- The award was instituted in 1999 in the memory of Dinanath Mangeshkar, father of Lata Mangeshkar.
- Mumbai won Ranji Trophy 2016 for the 41st time
- Mumbai has won the Ranji Trophy season 2015-16 by defeating Saurashtra.
- With this victory, Mumbai clinched Ranji title for the 41st time.
40.Union Govt To Introduce Coal Linkage Auction Policy For Power Corporation
- According to auction policy, CIL will take several steps for implementing further process.
- Reduction in import of thermal coal, Improved fuel supply levels & better evacuation of pit head coal stock.
- Union Cabinet approved $150 million Credit for Chabahar Port Development
- The Union Cabinet has approved 150 million dollars credit for Development of the strategically important Chabahar Port in Iran.
- RBI extends Currency Swap Arrangement with SAARC nations
- The Reserve Bank of India has extended currency swap arrangement to South Asian Association for Regional Cooperation (SAARC) nations till mid-November 2017.
- All 7 SAARC member countries including Bangladesh, Afghanistan, Maldives, Bhutan, Nepal, Pakistan and Sri Lanka can avail the facility.
- Michael Pesch has been appointed as CEO of Infosys Consulting Holding
- Michael Pesch has been appointed as Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of Infosys Consulting Holding, a subsidiary of India’s second largest software company Infosys.
- Prior to his appointment, Michael had served as a CEO of Germany based Arvato Systems Group.
- India’s first nuclear submarine INS Arihant passes deep sea tests
- India’s first indigenously built nuclear armed submarine INS Arihant has successfully passed several deep sea diving drills as well as weapons launch tests.
- India is going to host 3rd Asia Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation
- India is going to host Asia Ministerial Conference on Tiger Conservation from 12 April 2016 to save tigers.
- It will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi.
- Pakistan Parliament becomes first in the world to run entirely on solar power
- Pakistan’s Parliament building located in national capital Islamabad became the first in the world to completely run on solar power.
- Australia replaces India as world No.1 in ICC Test rankings
- Australia has replaced India at the top of the world’s test rankings in Cricket with a 2-0 test series victory over New Zealand in Christchurch.
- India remains world’s largest arms importer
- India continues to remain the world’s largest arms importer, accounting for 14% of the global arms imports in the 2011-2015 timeframe.
- Its biggest suppliers are Russia, United States (US), Israel and France.
- CII inks MoU with Dubai exports to boost trade
- The Confederation of Indian Industry (CII) has signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with Dubai Exports to boost trade and explore business opportunities.
- CII is a non-government organisation of Indian businesses which works to create an environment conducive to the growth of industry in the country.
- Malayalam film Ottal has been named as best children’s film at Berlin International Film Festival
- Malayalam film Ottal (The Trap) has been named as best feature-length and best short films in the children’s category at the 2016 Berlin International Film Festival.
- It has been honoured with the prestigious Crystal Bear award in the ‘Generation K-Plus’ section.
Sources: PIB, PTI and other newspapers, magazines
Compiled by: SuperProfs Acads Team