A financial model is a mathematical model that is prepared to represent or simulate a real life financial situation or problem. These financial models are widely used to forecast the future performance of a company based and its past financial statements and historical operational data.
Financial models are regularly used for:
- Investment banking
- Equity research
- Project finance
- Evaluate Real estate investments
- Oil & gas projects
- Risk analysis and management
- Banks & financial institutions
- Personal finance
- Non-profit organizations
- Analysis of the past performance of a company to project its future financial performance
The job of a Financial Modeling expert is to prepare the financial models by analyzing the past data and making accurate assumptions for the future performance. The financial models are widely used by:
- Business owners and entrepreneurs
- Finance and accounting professionals
- Financial modelers and consultants
- Individuals for personal finance
Types of financial models
There are different financial models are commonly used by companies in different industries. These are:
- Discounted cash flow model
- Merger & acquisition (M&A) model
- Corporate finance models
- Comparative company analysis model
- Sum-of-the-parts model
- Leveraged buyout (LBO) model
- Industry-specific financial model
- Option pricing mode
The Financial Modeling courses that are commonly available in India will teach you either all of these models or some of them, depending on the type of course that you choose. For maximum career flexibility, it is suggested that you enroll for a course which teaches you the maximum number of models. This will ensure that you will not have to enroll for another course later to learn a particular model which you omitted in the first course.
You should select a course that is delivered and certified by a recognized and renowned educational institution. This is extremely important for getting the full value from your Financial Modeling course. If you do a course from an unknown institute, you might not get as much mileage in your career as you would want.
Also ensure that the course that you choose teaches you Financial Modeling of different industries, instead of focusing on only one. This will give you a holistic perspective and make your understanding of the different financial models stronger.
While choosing a Financial Modeling course, you will get to choose from a variety of learning formats. Depending on your convenience, you can choose to learn in a classroom, online live course, or recorded video courses. The following are the comparative facilities offered:
|COMPREHENSIVE CLASSROOM||LIVE VIRTUAL CLASSES||DISTANCE LEARNING|
|Format||Classroom training||Online live classes||Recorded video courses|
|Schedule||Weekday/weekend courses for specified number of weeks||Live and interactive classes for specified number of hours||Self study|
|Study material||Printed materials and online resources||Printed materials and online resources||Printed materials and online resources|
|Post session recordings||Not available||Yes. Students can watch the session recordings whenever they want.||Course is delivered through recorded courses only|
|Doubt clearing/ course support||Live (face to face) during class, email, phone||Live (face to face) during live online session, email, phone||Some doubt clearing sessions may be held online, email, phone|
|Schedule||Specified by education provider||Specified by education provider||Learn at your own pace|
|Geographical availability||Limited cities only||All cities||All cities|
Classroom Vs Online
The Financial Modeling courses are broadly available two formats: Classroom courses and online virtual learning. In a classroom course, you will learn from experts professors in a physical class in sessions which are held as per a predetermined schedule. The online courses, on the other hand, are delivered over the internet and can be accessed from anywhere.
The online courses have some definite advantages over classroom courses. These are:
- Learning from best professors: Want to learn from a professor who does not reside in your city? In the case of classroom programs, this will require you to travel to the city where he conducts his classes. However, online education breaks the distance barrier. You can simply enroll for he’s online classes and can comfortably learn from your own home. Thus, online training enables you to learn from the best professors, thereby increasing your chances of success.
- Anytime access: Want to have full control over when you can learn? Then the online courses are your best option. These are available on demand and can be played at any time. You can start learning from your favorite professors whenever you feel like.
- Availability of test centers: Before technology made online testing possible, the choice of test centers used to be very limited for the students. Often they had to travel long distances to reach the test centers, spending a lot of time, money and energy in the process. The widespread reach of the online testing centers has made that a thing of the past. Now the students of an online course of Financial Modeling can apply for the exams online and get certified very conveniently.
- Quick result declaration: In the case of online testing, the results can be declared on the spot, instantly. Thus, the students can quickly get to know how they have fared, and not have to wait for a long time.
Superprofs.com makes learning easy with its Financial Modeling courses and students can appear for the online examinations and get certified. Once you start learning online from our expert professors, you will never feel the need to go back to classroom training again.