GATE 2019(Graduate Aptitude Test of Engineering) is an online examination conducted across the country to test the candidates in various undergraduate subjects of Engineering, Technology or Architecture, and postgraduate subjects of Science. This exam is a gateway for the students to secure admission in post graduate programs like M.Tech, M.E, M.S, direct PhD, etc. in higher education institutions that are centrally funded.
Here I am providing normalized marks of gate topper year wise
|YEAR-WISE||GATE TOPPER NORMALIZED MARKS|
Exam specific questions
- How was GATE paper this year? Give us some insights into GATE-2017 paper and compare it to past year question paper.
I wrote both gate 2016 and 2017. Compared to GATE 2017 I felt GATE 2018 little bit tricky and lengthy but as I have prepared very well it didn’t effect me much. Almost all one mark questions were easy with little calculations and 2 marks questions were quite lengthy and time consuming to answer .
- How did you feel after seeing first few questions? Did you feel relaxed and calm or you were anxious during first few questions? If you felt anxious then how did you calm yourself?
I was anxious till the time the exam got started and as soon as exam started I felt very relaxed and calm as I was able to answer initial questions easily.
- How did you go about attempting the paper? How did you distribute time among various sections like did you attempt 1 mark questions or 2 marks questions first? Please give a detailed description of time management strategy you followed?
My plan was to complete aptitude part first in 15 minutes , then one mark questions in 45 minutes and then 2 marks questions in 80 minutes. After starting aptitude I was able to solve all one mark questions and when I moved on to two marks questions in aptitude I was not able to understand 2 two marks questions. By that time almost 15 minutes got completed and I thought when I see these questions at last moment I might not answer them properly and thought of taking 5 more minutes and I was able to complete those questions and it boosted my confidence a lot. Then I moved on to technical section ,While attempting 1 mark questions I was able to complete 21 questions within desired time and it boosted my confidence a bit more. When I moved to 2 marks section I was able to solve only 15 questions and I skipped those questions which were lengthy and I have noticed that I donot know concepts or formulas for 4 questions and I thought of not visiting them again as it will waste my time. Then I revisited the remaining questions and solved 59 questions totally.
- What was the motive behind you appearing for GATE exam?
I wanted to work in PSU , so I attempted GATE 2018.
- When did you start preparing for GATE exam?
I have joined a coaching institute in the month of MAY and I started preparing parallely.
- Up to what date were you able to complete the course once? What was your target as to how many questions to practice in each subject? What was the sequence in which you prepared the subjects?
As I was preparing for both GATE and ESE , it took much time and as there were more classes and I was able to complete the course only once by December 10th .I practiced only those questions which were asked in the previous year papers and problems from class notes. At first I completed networks, digital and measurements subjects as these are very much useful for other subjects also and then I made entire syllabus into 2 parts : PART 1( control systems, signals , analog, EMFT, networks, digital and measurements) and PART 2 (Power systems , machines, power electronics) and prepared both the parts parallely and allotted more time to PART 2. In the month of January I prepared maths + aptitude daily for 2 hours.
- Which subjects according to require more practice and which subjects need to be read from standard textbooks?
We should understand the concepts of all the subjects but even after understanding subjects like networks, Power systems, Power Electronics need more practice as there will be a lot of practice models and the chance of asking NAT questions in these is very high.
- Which study material and standard books would you recommend for GATE Aspirants in each subject?
If you are following any coaching institute then class notes will be more than enough . I have referred textbooks of machines and Power Electronics by P.S.Bhimbra only for 3 to 4 concepts and for the rest of the subjects I have not touched text books.
- How did you keep the subjects fresh in your memory the entire time? Did you revise the subjects regularly or you left the revision for last few months? What was your strategy for revision in the last few months?
I revised the subjects whenever I felt I am loosing grip on them and I prepared my own short notes so that I can cover entire syllabus of a subject within 45-50 minutes. In the month of January I revised only the short notes and I kept updating it and I revised the class notes only when I felt I forgot a critical concept .Overall I have revised class notes of PART 1 subjects only once and PART 2 subjects twice and most of the time I revised class notes.
- What is the role of mock tests in your success in GATE exam? How many mock tests did you attempt? When did you start attempting mock tests?
Mock tests play an important role in success. I bought test series from 3 institutes including k-test and they help a lot in knowing our mistakes and weaker areas. I attempted nearly 25 mock tests and 30 subject wise tests. I started giving these tests from the month of December.