GATE is one of the most important exams for graduating engineers. Not only does it allow you to enter universities for Masters such as GATE Application to IIT but you can also get to apply to PSUs through GATE. Hence, appropriate knowledge of all these facts about GATE Paper Pattern is very important.
GATE Marking scheme is almost the same for all branches. It is very important to know GATE question paper pattern so that you don’t get flustered at the time of the exam and remain calm with all the information and can crack the exam to the best of your ability.
The Major Sections of the GATE Question Paper are:
- General Aptitude
- Engineering Mathematics
- Technical Questions based on the Course
The following pattern is followed for the Courses with codes : CS, EE, EC, In, AE, ME, AG, CE, BT, CH, MT, MN, PI, PE, XE and TF.
GATE Question Paper Pattern 2018 – Marks and Question Divisions
|General Aptitude ( GA )||Engineering Mathematics||Technical Questions||Total|
|10 Questions||10 Questions||45 Questions||65 Marks|
|15 Marks||15 Marks||70 Marks||100 Marks|
Types of Questions
- MCQ: Objective in nature. You will have to mark the correct answer from the choices given.
- Numerical Answer Questions: The correct number has to be entered using the virtual Keyboard.
Types of Multiple Choice Questions
- Questions having 1 mark: 25 Questions (25 marks in total)
- Questions having 2 marks: 30 Questions (60 marks in total)
Negative Choice Questions
- 1/3 marks for 1 mark questions
- 2/3 marks for 2 mark questions
- No negative marking for numerical answer type questions.
Types of Questions in GATE Exam 2018
- Recall: These questions measure your ability of the candidate to remember and apply certain facts when need be.
- Comprehension: These questions will test the candidate’s ability to comprehend information as illustrated in the question and draw conclusions from them.
- Applications: Applying the well known facts and knowledge through reasoning, logic or calculation.
- Analysis: Analyzing the provided data or numbers and returning to the conclusion that seems the most legitimate.
General Aptitude Questions
Basic Mathematical Questions which might be easy to crack and will get you good marks. These questions are good for all the competitive exams and easy to prepare. So, make sure you master all of them.
We hope this article gave some good insights about GATE Question Paper Pattern and the GATE Marking Scheme. GATE Paper Pattern format is very simple and easy to grasp but needs some hard work to perfect. GATE 2018 Exam might change your life and it is never too late to start working for your dreams. SuperProfs can help you realize your dream of cracking GATE with the best marks possible. Who knows maybe you will be the next GATE Topper!
On that note, don’t forget to share this article with your friends appearing for GATE 2017. SuperProfs is here to answer all your doubts regarding GATE.
All the best !
|GATE 2018 Notification||FAQs – GATE 2018 Login, Application||GATE Eligibility Criteria|
|GATE syllabus 2018||Reference Books For Gate 2018 Exam||How to Prepare for GATE 2018 Exam?|
|GATE Question Papers||GATE Answer Keys||GATE Results|
SuperProfs– India’s Largest Online Coaching Platform is offering FREE Trail Classes for GATE-2018 for streams of ME, ECE, EE, IE, CSE & CE. Now students from all over India can learn from India’s Most Experienced Professors online and get their dream career.