Gate Syllabus for Computer Science 2019 [Official] | GATE CS Syllabus
GATE Syllabus for CSE for 2019 GATE exam is here. Computer Science is one out of 23 papers in Gate exam. Aspirants with CS background can opt for this paper during Gate exam application procedure. Before preparing for Gate, aspirants should be aware of Eligibility criteria of GATE Exam. In this section student can view GATE syllabus for Computer Science engineering. GATE 2019 Exam is a gateway for qualifying candidates to secure admission for various PG programs in IITs, NITs and other centrally funded institutions. GATE score can also be used pursue your career in various PSU’s. Here you can get GATE Syllabus for CSE. Check out GATE Syllabus for CSE from below.
GATE syllabus for CSE (Computer Science)
The first step towards it is the knowledge of entire syllabus and GATE exam Eligibility. Go through the entire Computer Science syllabus and make your study plan accordingly. Get GATE Syllabus for CSE from this article.
Computer science Section 1: Engineering Mathematics
Discrete Mathematics: Propositional and first order logic. Sets, relations, functions, partial orders and lattices. Groups. Graphs: connectivity, matching, coloring. Combinatorics: counting, recurrence relations, generating functions.
Linear Algebra: Matrices, determinants, system of linear equations, eigenvalues and eigen vectors, LU decomposition.
Calculus: Limits, continuity and differentiability. Maxima and minima. Mean value theorem. Integration.
Probability: Random variables. Uniform, normal, exponential, poisson and binomial distributions. Mean, median, mode and standard deviation. Conditional probability and Bayes theorem.
Computer science Section 2: Digital Logic
Boolean algebra. Combinational and sequential circuits. Minimization. Number representations and computer arithmetic (fixed and floating point).
Section 3: Computer Organization and Architecture
Machine instructions and addressing modes. ALU, data‐path and control unit. Instruction pipelining. Memory hierarchy: cache, main memory and secondary storage; I/O interface (interrupt and DMA mode).
Section 4: Programming and Data Structures
Programming in C. Recursion. Arrays, stacks, queues, linked lists, trees, binary search trees, binary heaps, graphs.
Section 5: Algorithms
Searching, sorting, hashing. Asymptotic worst case time and space complexity. Algorithm design techniques: greedy, dynamic programming and divide‐and‐conquer. Graph search, minimum spanning trees, and shortest paths.
Section 6: Theory of Computation
Regular expressions and finite automata. Context-free grammars and push-down automata. Regular and contex-free languages, pumping lemma. Turing machines and undecidability.
Section 7: Compiler Design
Lexical analysis, parsing, syntax-directed translation. Runtime environments. Intermediate code generation.
Section 8: Operating System
Processes, threads, inter‐process communication, concurrency and synchronization.
Deadlock. CPU scheduling. Memory management and virtual memory. File systems.
Section 9: Databases
ER‐model. Relational model: relational algebra, tuple calculus, SQL. Integrity constraints, normal forms. File organization, indexing (e.g., B and B+ trees). Transactions and concurrency control
Section 10: Computer Networks
Concept of layering. LAN technologies (Ethernet). Flow and error control techniques, switching. IPv4/IPv6, routers and routing algorithms (distance vector, link state). TCP/UDP and sockets, congestion control. Application layer protocols (DNS, SMTP, POP, FTP, HTTP). Basics of Wi-Fi. Network security: authentication, basics of public key and private key cryptography, digital signatures and certificates, firewalls.
Computer Science Engineering Exam Pattern for GATE 2019
|Engineering Mathematics||Engineering Mathematics will have 13% of total marks weightage|
|General Aptitude||General Aptitude will have 15% of total marks weightage|
|Subject questions||Subject questions will have rest 72% of total marks weightage|
General Aptitude (GA): 10 questions of 15 Marks
Engineering Mathematics: 15 Marks
Technical Questions (subject of the paper): 70 Marks
Types of Questions in GATE Computer Science Engineering 2019
- Multiple Choice Questions (MCQ): These questions will have 4 choices and would comprise of 1 or 2 marks. Candidate has to choose one answer that is correct and mark it.
- Numerical Answer Questions: For these Questions, the answer is a real number which is to be entered by the candidate using a virtual keypad. No choices will be shown for this answer. It will comprise of 1 or 2 marks.
How to prepare for GATE Computer Science and Information Technology 2019
To Prepare GATE Computer Science and Information Technology Paper for 2018, you need to follow below given steps.
Step 1 : Know the Syllabus
The first step the students need to take is to collect the correct syllabus. This step will ensure that they prepare only those subjects from which the questions are asked in the GATE exam. The same will prevent unnecessary time wastage by studying non-important topics.
Step 2 : Select the Best Reference Books for GATE Computer Science and Information Technology
The second step that must be followed by the students is to start studying those basic books of Computer Science and Information Technology that covers basic topics. It is necessary to clear the basic concepts first, which will aid in understanding the advanced studies.
GATE Computer Science and Information Technology Books
You can find lots of books with different publications in the online or offline stores, but I am going to share with you some best books which are recommended by the experts and universities for conceptual study.
Step 3: Identify Which Topics should study at First
You must always prepare yourself along with the syllabus provided. You cannot prepare yourself without the syllabus. After knowing the syllabus make sure that you cover all the topics relating to it and nothing is omitted. This will be very important to appear for GATE exam and win the exam. For more details, you can visit www.gate.iisc.ernet.in.
Step 4 : Prepare a Study Plan
While preparing you must cross check yourself often with the syllabus you noted down. This will help you to work your schedule along with the syllabus and full focus on it. Then to know the timing you will require to answer each question, you can download the past question papers and solve the questions by yourself. Once you do this process, you will be able to recognize the timing required and correct it by yourself before appearing for the main exam. Timing plays an important role in the exam. So do keep all these things while your preparation and prepare at your best for the exam.
How to Prepare for GATE Exam 2019
- Take a print out of the syllabus. See the weightage of different subjects.
- Whatever subjects that are common to your current semester and GATE, or some tough subjects you have already done in previous semesters, start doing them. Read standard books referred for them. Don’t learn. Build your concepts.
- Make your notes along side.
- Make small targets, daily targets, weekly targets. At this stage, 3-4 hours of study would be okay. Actually, I’m defining the amount because people tend to ask ‘how time to study etc’. But actually, one shouldn’t keep time as the reference, but a topic or two as a measure of time to sit in day.
- Keep targets of 2 or 3 subjects in a semester. Conquer them.
- Practice previous year questions religiously.
- Don’t just do a subject and leave. Revise it after 7-15 days so that you don’t forget it.
- Mark the questions you feel are important, tough or conceptual.
- Be your own critic. Take your own tests. No one can help you better than you, yourself.
- Take a break of a day or two if you feel things are getting hectic.
- Buy some previous year Question Bank, made easy or Ace. But do not follow them blindly. Look for better solutions to some typical questions on the internet.
- Google good sites for GATE in Biotechnology, join some facebook group.
- Have faith in yourself. Tell your parents about your aim and ask them to motivate you daily. The most difficult task would be to keep up your motivation high since the time is long.
- Don’t ever think about the results. Keep doing your share of efforts.
Last Step to Complete the Preparation
Lastly, the students must use solved and mock test papers as much as possible. This will help them immensely to clear the exam.
GATE Computer Science and Information Technology Exam Helpful Online Community & Forums
Online community and forums are helpful when you are newbie to the exam. Learn the tips & tricks from experts in these forums and communities. You can visit these reputed forums for GATE Computer Science and Information Technology exam related doubts and questions.
After completing B tech or B.E, most of the students who want to make their career in research and development, they look forward for masters. Getting a master’s degree from reputed universities like IIT, IISC etc. increases the importance and knowledge of his field.
When anyone qualifies GATE ,it means he/she has good engineering knowledge. That’s why R&D companies and organizations demand for GATE qualified score.
Important Topics For GATE CSE 2019 – Computer Science
The following are the most important topics for GATE 2019. Study them properly to score good marks in the GATE CSE Exam.
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2019 are – Recursion, Trees and Graphs.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of trees.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Recursive functions and pointers.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Stacks, Queues and Linked Lists.
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2018 are – Algorithm Analysis, Sorting Algorithms, Graph Algorithms and Heap Trees.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Sorting Algorithms and Dynamic Programming.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Divide and Conquer Algorithms & Greedy algorithms.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Divide and Conquer Algorithms.
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2019 are – CPU Scheduling Algos, Semaphores, Paging and Page replacement algorithms.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Paging and Page replacement algorithms.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Semaphores and Segmentation.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Disk Scheduling Algorithms and Deadlock.
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2018 are – Matrix Determinant, Propositional Logic and Predicate Logic.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Mathematical Logic and Linear Algebra.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Probability and Predicate Logic.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Groups, Functions and Lattice Theory.
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2019 are – Combinational Circuits and Minimization and Couters.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Combinational Circuits.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Sequential Circuits.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Number system, fixed and floating point registers.
Computer Architecture and Organization
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2019 are – Pipelining and Cache Organization.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Cache Organisation.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Pipelining and I/O Data transfer.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Machine Cycles and Addressing modes.
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2019 are – Relational Alegbra, SQL and Serializability.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Relational Algebra and Tuple Queries.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Normalization and ER Diagrams.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Transactions and SQL.
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2019 are – TCP, UDP, IP Addressing, Congestion Control and Application Protocols.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of IP addressing and TCP.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics-
Theory of Computation
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2019 are – DFA, Regular Expressions and Closure Properties.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Regular Languages and Undecidability.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topic Undecidability.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- CFL, DCFL, Formal Grammars and CNF.
- One of the most important constant topics for GATE 2019 are – LL(1) & LR Parsers.
- Maximum weightage is given to the topic of Parsing.
- Questions from all the levels can come from the topics Run time environments.
- Easy Questions can be expected from the topics- Lexical Analysis, Intermediate Code Generation, Syntax Analysis, SDTs.
- Important topics that get covered in GATE are – Numerical computation and data interpretation and Sentence completion and word analogies.
Best Computer Science Reference books – GATE 2019
GATE 2019 Books for CSE
GATE examination is conducted for M.Tech Degree admissions in various IITs and NITs of India. GATE examination is being appeared by thousands of engineers from various branches. CSE is one of the most appeared B.tech branches and GATE 2019 Books for CSE or say Computer Engineering are different from the others. You may check a list showing GATE 2019 reference books for CSE- Computer Science.
List of GATE 2019 CSE preparation Books [Recommended]
GATE Aptitude Books
Verbal and Numerical Ability
|Objective English for Competitive Examination 5th Ed.||Hari Mohan Prasad|
|Verbal and Numerical Ability Solved Papers||Made Easy Team|
|General Aptitude: Quantitative Aptitude & Reasoning||GK Publications|
Mathematics Reference books for GATE
|Higher Engineering Mathematics||B.S. Grewal|
|Higher Engineering Mathematics||Bandaru Ramana|
|Advanced Engineering Mathematics – ISV||Erwin Kreyszig|
|Advanced Engineering Mathematics||H K Dass|
Best Engineering Mathematics Books for GATE
|GATE-2018: Engineering Mathematics Solved Papers||Made Easy Publications|
|GATE engineering & Mathematics General Apptitude||G.K. Publications|
|GATE Engineering Mathematics||Nodia and Company|
GATE CSE Books – GATE Books for CSE
|Digital Logic and Computer Design||M. Morris Mano|
Computer Organization and Architecture
|Computer Organization||Carl Hamacher|
|Computer Organization and Architecture: Designing for Performance||William Stallings|
|Computer Organization and Design: The Hardware/Software Interface||John L. Hennessy, David A. Patterson|
Programming and Data Structure
|The C Programming Language||Brian W. Kernighan, Dennis M. Ritchie|
|PROGRAMMING IN ANSI C 6TH EDITION||E Balagurusamy|
|Data Structures with C (Schaum’s Outline Series)||Seymour Lipschutz|
|Data Structures Through C in Depth||S. K. Srivastava|
|Data Structures and Algorithms Made Easy : Second Edition: Data Structure and Algorithmic Puzzles||Narasimha Karumanchi|
|Introduction to Algorithms||Thomas H. Cormen|
|Data Structures and Algorithms Made Easy : Second Edition: Data Structure and Algorithmic Puzzles||Narasimha Karumanchi|
Theory of Computation
|Introduction to Automata Theory, Languages and Computation||John E. Hopcroft|
|Introduction to the Theory of Computation||Michael Sipser|
|Theory of Computation||Vivek Kulkarni|
|Introduction to Formal Languages, Automata Theory and Computation||Kamala Krithivasan|
|Principles Of Compiler Design||Alfred V Aho|
|Compiler Design||Chattopadhyay Santanu|
|Compiler Design||Puntambekar A|
|Operating System Concepts||Silberschatz, Galvin, Gagne|
|Modern Operating Systems||Tanenbaum, Andrew S|
|Operating Systems: Internals and Design Principles||William Stallings|
|Database Systems Concepts||Silberschatz A|
|Database Systems: Models,Languages,Design and Application Programming||Ramez Elmasri|
Information Systems and Software Engineering
|Software Engineering: A Practitioner’s Approach||Roger S Pressman|
|Fundamentals of Software Engineering||Rajib Mall|
|Data Communications and Networking||Behrouz A Forouzan|
|Computer Networks||Andrew S. Tanenbaum|
|Computer Networking: A Top – Down Approach||James F. Kurose|
|Web Technology: Theory and Practice||M. Srinivasan|
|Web Technologies||Uttam K. Roy|
GATE Computer Science and Information Technology Guide Books
|CS & IT for GATE||McGraw Hill Education (India) Pvt Ltd|
|Computer Science & IT||Arihant Publications|
|IES, GATE, PSUs: A Handbook for Computer Science /IT Engineering||Made Easy Publications|
|GATE Tutor 2016: Computer Science & Information Technology||Shanti Kirupani, Prachi Jain, Amrita Mishra|
|Gate Guide Computer Science & Information Technology||G K Publications|
|GATE Mentor : Computer Science and Information Technology||Cengage Learning India Pvt Ltd|
GATE CSE Solved Papers Books
|GATE: Computer Science & IT||Made Easy Publications|
|Gate Paper Computer Science & Information Technology: Solved Papers 2000 – 2015||G K Publications|
|Chapterwise Previous Years’ Solved Papers (2015-2000) GATE Computer Science and Information Technology||Arihant Publications|
|GATE – 15 Computer Science & Information Technology Previous Questions with Solutions Subject wise & Chapter wise (1987-2014)||ACE Engineering Publications|
GATE CSE Mock Tests
|Practice Workbook – Computer Science and IT for GATE 2015||Arihant Publications|
Download GATE Computer Science Question Papers
You should solve these GATE Previous Year question papers in one go i.e. without any break. Solve the whole question paper first, do not see the answer key and solutions in between. Solve these Question Papers as you are sitting in exam hall then check your answers with answer key and finally check the solutions and analyse your mistakes and work on it.
Each question paper is important for your preparation, so use them effectively.
Here is a list of PSUs for CSE: –
How to prepare for gate CSE?
Computer Science Engineering is composed of these major topics:
- Data Structures
- Automata And Language Computation
- Mathematics And Digital System Design
- Operating Systems
Computer Science Engineers must be well versed in calculation and basic programming concepts. You might want to revisit your Data Structures and Operating Systems to ensure your preparation of that part is perfect.
You must know how to apply the concepts to the real world and should be able to effectively cover all the test cases. PSUs only call those people for the interview who have a fair amount of score in all the sections.
Apart from that you must have proper knowledge of these topics:
Programming in C
Binary search trees
Operating system :
Concurrency and synchronization
Memory management and virtual memory
Important Tips on how to crack GATE Computer Science
- Computer Science Engineers must know how to write code properly. You should know the syntax and basics about at least one programming language. C++ and Java are the most popular choices.
- CSE requires very good knowledge of the working of computers and hence, the subject on /computing /theory must be studies with care.
- CSE students should understand the basics of operating systems and data structures as there has been an increase in their importance in both the market and the question paper.
- You should know all the basic and popular algorithms by heart. Do not cram them but make sure you understand each and every word and it’s importance.
- The popular algorithms about Stacks, Queues, Trees and Graphs should be studied properly.
How to prepare for GATE Exam without coaching ?
In order to prepare without a coaching institute, you must start early. You should prepare for over an year if you want to prepare without the coaching institute. The internet is your biggest resource and the study material available at Superprofs will surely help you. You can use the tips listed above and then you can attempt mock test papers for all the tests.
|GATE 2019 Notification||FAQs – GATE 2019 Login, Application form||GATE Eligibility Criteria|
|GATE syllabus 2019||Reference Books For Gate 2019 Exam||How to Prepare for GATE 2019 Exam?|
|GATE Question Papers||GATE Answer Keys||GATE Results|
SuperProfs– India’s Largest Online Coaching Platform is offering FREE Trail Classes for GATE-2019 for streams of ME, ECE, EE, IE, CSE & CE. Now students from all over India can learn from India’s Most Experienced Professors online and get their dream career.