GATE exam 2020 is an online examination and the level of competition is increasing every year. Therefore apart from hard work and dedication which needs to be put for this exam, a proper study plan and strategy is very much required. We are providing you with the strategy and path to crack the GATE exam 2020.
Strategy to Prepare for GATE Exam 2020
Before reading further on Gate exam 2020 strategy, aspirants must be aware of Eligibility Criteria in GATE
Step 1: Have complete information about GATE Exam 2020
- GATE exam 2020 is an online examination of three hours. It consists of 65 Questions (Out of which 35 Questions are of 2 Marks and 30 Questions are of 1 Mark). So in a total exam is of 100 Marks.
- The question paper consists of two types of Question:
- Multiple Choice Questions (In this, 4 options are given and you have to choose one).
- Numerical Answer Type Questions
- There will be 2/3rd negative marking in 2 marks Questions and 1/3rd negative marking in 1 Mark Questions (Applicable only for MCQ’s) whereas there is no negative marking in Numerical Answer Type Questions.
Step 2: Know the Syllabus & Weightage of each subject
- Go through the complete syllabus at least once before starting your preparation.
- Match your knowledge with the GATE exam 2020 syllabus and plan your preparation with known subjects.
- Highlight the important topics in the syllabus based on previous year GATE Papers and focus more on these topics during the course of your preparation.
Step 3: Choose Good Books & Study Materials for GATE preparation
- Selection of appropriate and concise study Material is very important before starting Preparing for the GATE Exam 2020.
- Read at least one book apart from the Study Material which is provided by your institution and your class notes.
- Nowadays the whole package is available online in the form of video lectures, course materials PDF, so you can pursue the best study material.
- You can also refer to the books that you have followed during the undergraduate course.
Step 4: Tips to study smartly during preparation
- Analyze the important topics and pattern of Questions from previous year Question papers.
- After studying a subject, practice previous year Questions for that particular subject which will help you to analyze your preparation and also boost your confidence.
- Prepare each topic in three steps:
- Understand the Concept.
- Practice Related Questions.
- Revise Regularly.
- Most of the questions in GATE exam 2020 are conceptual & numerical, so you must try to improve your solving ability & time management to score a good rank.
Step 5: Plan your GATE preparation
- To crack GATE Exam 2020 prepare a plan for 3 to 9 months.
- The plan should include Completion, of course, Practice and Mock Tests, Revision.
- It is a good idea to make a time table and formulate your daily tasks. Once you have set daily, weekly and monthly targets, you will see better results from the same amount of effort.
Step 6: Prepare the study plan to complete the gate Exam 2020 syllabus
- The First step in the preparation is to start with an easy subject and an important one. Topper’s suggestion is, to begin with, mathematics and one basic technical subject.
- Segregate the whole subject into smaller topics and prepare topic-wise.
- After completing a subject, make short notes for that subject which should include Definitions, the important formulas etc. This will help you at the time of revision.
- Practice previous year GATE exam Questions after completing each subject.
- Clear all your doubts during your preparation.
- Identify the weak areas while practicing quizzes/tests and try to revise and practice those topics.
Step 7: Gate exam 2020 Revision Plan
- It is not just sufficient enough to prepare revision notes, but also to revise them regularly.
- Read the revision notes on a weekly basis to recall the concepts of prepared subjects.
- Each time you revise the same topic/subject, your revision time will reduce to recall the concepts.
Step 8: Mock Tests and Practice Tests
- You can practice the mock tests in two ways. One is self-practice on a daily basis, and other is attempting online mock tests.
- Practice the mock tests to improve performance. Performance depends on how much time devoted to answering each question and how many questions are answered correctly.
Step 9: Revision, Test Series and Practice at the last stage
- Last 30 days should be allocated to revision and giving Practice tests.
- Practice more tests, identify the weaker topics in each test and revise them.
- Join all India Test Series so that you can analyze your level before the actual exam and with the help of it you can work on your weak areas.
- Practice at least 2 tests every day in the month of January.
Step 10: Last-minute strategy for GATE Exam 2020
- You are advised not to read any new topic during the last days.
- Focus on revising the concepts and important questions which you have marked during your preparation.
- Keep your mind relaxed and take proper sleep before the exam. This will help you in recollecting things during exam hours.
- Be ready with your examination admit card and know your centre before the exam day.
SuperProfs provides a comprehensive package for GATE Exam 2020 which includes Video lectures, Study Notes, Practice Tests, Previous Year Questions, Important notifications etc.
The online tutorials give you the flexibility to study anytime and anywhere according to your convenience.
You can watch a few demo lectures by SuperProfs for GATE and see if you would want to consider subscribing to our video series for a better shot at clearing the GATE examination.