The Staff Selection Commission (SSC) recently released a notification about the Combined Higher Secondary Level (10+2) Exam. The exam will be held to recruit Postal Assistants/Sorting Assistants, Data Entry Operators, Lower Divisional Clerks and Court Clerks. Tentative vacancies for the posts of LDC/ JSA, Postal Assistant/ Sorting Assistant and DEO are 898, 2359, 2 and Data Entry Operator Grade”A”- Nil, respectively. Since there are so many vacancies available, we strongly recommend you to apply for the SSC CSHL Exam at the earliest. So, you can directly apply from the Official Website of SSC. Also, here is the SSC CHSL Exam pattern and SSC CHSL Syllabus to help you prepare better.
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern – Tier I
SSC CHSL Exam timings are reduced this year. The examination will consist of a Computer-based Written Examination (Tier -I), Descriptive Paper (Tier-II) and Typing Test/Skill Test (Tier-III) Examination for the post of Data Entry Operator, Postal Assistant & Sorting Assistant (PA/SA), Lower Division Clerk and Court Clerk.
Computer Based Examination (Objective type):
|Part||Subject||Max Marks||Total Timing|
- The written examination consists of Objective Type – Multiple choice questions, only.
- The questions will be set both in English & Hindi for Part-I, III & IV.
There will be negative marking of 0.50 marks for each wrong answer
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern – Descriptive Paper (Tier II)
- The minimum qualifying marks in Tier-II would be 33 percent.
- You can write the paper either in Hindi or in English.
- Part 1 paper written in Hindi and Part 2 in English will not be evaluated.
- Your performance in Tier II would be included in preparing merit.
SSC CHSL Exam Pattern – Skill Test (Tier III)
- Tier-III of the Examination would continue to be the Skill Test / Typing Test which would be of a qualifying nature.
- Note: Your final would be determined on the basis of total score obtained by them in Tier-I and Tier-II
SSC CHSL Syllabus for CBW Exam (Tier-I)
1. Syllabus for SSC CHSL – General Intelligence
It would include questions of both verbal and non-verbal type. The test will include questions on Semantic Analogy, Symbolic operations, Symbolic/ Number Analogy, Trends, Figural Analogy, Space Orientation ,Semantic Classification, Venn Diagrams, Symbolic/ Number Classification, Drawing inferences, Figural Classification, Punched hole/ pattern-folding & unfolding , Semantic Series, Figural Pattern – folding and completion, Number Series, Embedded figures, Figural Series, Critical Thinking, Problem Solving, Emotional Intelligence, Word Building, Social Intelligence, Coding and decoding, Other sub-topics, if any Numerical operations.
2. Syllabus for SSC CHSL English Section
The syllabus for SSC CHSL English language can be broadly divided into these major parts:
Spot the Error, Fill in the Blanks, Synonyms/ Homonyms, Antonyms, Spellings/ Detecting misspelt words, Idioms & Phrases, One word substitution, Improvement of Sentences, Active/ Passive Voice of Verbs, Conversion into Direct/ Indirect narration, Shuffling of Sentence parts, Shuffling of Sentences in a passage, Cloze Passage, Comprehension Passage.
3. Syllabus for SSC CHSL Quants
Here is the complete syllabus for SSC CHSL Quantas section:
- Arithmetic: Number Systems: Computation of the Whole Number, Decimal and Fractions, Relationship between numbers Fundamental arithmetical operations: Percentages, Ratio and Proportion, Square roots, Averages, Interest (Simple and Compound), Profit and Loss, Discount, Partnership Business, Mixture and Allegation, Time and distance, Time and work.
- Algebra: Basic algebraic identities of School Algebra and Elementary surds (simple problems) and Graphs of Linear Equations.
- Geometry: Familiarity with elementary geometric figures and facts: Triangle and its various kinds of centers, Congruence and similarity of triangles, Circle and its chords, tangents, angles subtended by chords of a circle, common tangents to two or more circles.
- Mensuration: Triangle, Quadrilaterals, Regular Polygons, Circle, Right Prism, Right Circular Cone, Right Circular Cylinder, Sphere, Hemispheres, Rectangular Parallelepiped, Regular Right Pyramid with triangular or square Base
- Trigonometry: Trigonometry, Trigonometric ratios, Complementary angles, Height and distances (simple problems only) Standard Identities,
- Statistical Charts: Use of Tables and Graphs: Histogram, Frequency polygon, Bar- diagram, Pie-chart.
4. Syllabus for SSC CHSL General Awareness
Questions are designed to test the candidate’s general awareness of the environment around him and its application to society. Questions are also designed to test knowledge of current events and of such matters of everyday observation and experience in their scientific aspect as may be expected of an educated person. The test will also include questions relating to India and its neighboring countries especially pertaining to History, Culture, Geography, Economic Scene, General policy and scientific research.
For VH candidates of 40% and above visual disability and opting for SCRIBES there will be no component of Maps/ Graphs/ Diagrams/ Statistical Data in the General Intelligence & Reasoning/ Quantitative Aptitude.
SSC CHSL Syllabus for Descriptive Paper (Tier-II)
- Tier-II Paper will be a descriptive Paper of 100 Marks in ‘Pen and Paper Mode.
- The duration of the paper would be for one hour (20 minutes compensatory time will also be provided to the candidates mentioned in Para 7 above).
- This paper has been introduced to assess the writing skills of the candidates which are necessary for Government jobs.
- The Paper would comprise writing of an Essay of 200-250 words and Letter/ Application of approximately 150-200 words.
- The minimum qualifying marks in Tier-II would be 33 percent. The performance in Tier II would be included in preparing merit. The paper will have to be written either in Hindi or in English. Part 1 paper written in Hindi and Part 2 in English will not be evaluated.
SSC CHSL Syllabus for Tier-III Exam
- Tier-III of the Examination would be the Skill Test/ Typing Test which would be of qualifying nature.
- The final merit of the successful candidates would be determined on the basis of total score obtained by them in Tier-I and Tier-II.
Skill test for Data Entry Operator:
- Data Entry Speed of 8,000 (eight thousand) Key Depressions per hour on Computer.
- The ‘Speed of 8000 key depressions per hour on Computer’ will be adjudged on the basis of the correct entry of words/key depressions as per the given passage.
- Duration of the said Test will be 15 (Fifteen) minutes and printed matter in English containing about 2000-2200 strokes/key-depressions would be given to you to enter into the Computer.
ELIGIBILITY CRITERIA FOR SSC CHSL:
Before applying for the Combined Higher Secondary Level (CHSL) Examination, you must check the SSC CHSL Eligibility Criteria 2017 first.
Basically, the eligibility criteria for the educational qualification is well known to you all that you should be 12th class passed. But there are many other different categories of eligibility criteria for SSC CHSL Exam 2017 that should also be considered by you before applying for CHSL online i.e. age limit, nationality, reservation etc.
In case you don’t fulfill all the conditions and apply, your candidature will be rejected by the commission from the recruitment process.
If you want to take part in SSC CHSL Online Application Process then, you should first confirm your SSC CHSL Eligibility by analyzing the following conditions step by step:
- Nationality / Citizenship
- SSC CHSL Educational Qualification
- SSC CHSL Age Limit 2017
- Relaxation for Various Categories
- Certification Process
Step1- SSC CHSL Eligibility [Nationality / Citizenship]
- Candidates applying for the CHSL exam must possess the citizenship in the following ways:
- A candidate must be either-
- A citizen of India, or
- A subject of Nepal, or
- A subject of Bhutan, or
- A Tibetan refugee who came over to India, before the 1st January 1962 with the intention of permanently settling in India, or
- A person of Indian origin who has migrated from Pakistan, Burma, Sri Lanka, East African countries of Kenya, Uganda, the United Republic of Tanzania(Formerly Tanganyika and Zanzibar), Zambia, Malawi, Zaire, Ethiopia and Vietnam with the intention of permanently settling in India.
Note: – A candidate belonging to categories (b), (c), (d) and (e) above shall be a person in whose favor a certificate of eligibility has been issued by the Government of India.
Step 2- SSC CHSL Educational Qualification
In order to appear for SSC CHSL Exam, you must have passed 12th Standard or equivalent examination from a recognized Board or University.Some other important points:
If you possess any Degree obtained through open Universities/Distance Education Mode, then that must be recognized by Distance Education Council, IGNOU.
Skill Test Eligibility [Revised]
12th standard pass in Science stream with Mathematics as a subject from a recognized Board or equivalent.When you are called for typing test/skill test, you should bring all the original educational certificates and documents.
Hope, you were able to get familiar with the SSC CHSL exam pattern, syllabus, and eligibility, with this article.
SuperProfs– India’s Largest online coaching platform is offering Online Coaching for all SSC exams. Now students from anywhere in India can learn from the most experienced professors.