Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 11th April 2017.
- The French government today announced the closure of its oldest nuclear power plant at Fessenheim by April 2020, once a new generation reactor in Flamanville is operational.
- Note : The closure of the 40-year-old plant was a 2012 electoral promise by French President Francois Hollande.
- Pakistan is going to export donkeys to China under its Donkey Development Programme, in a bid to attract Chinese investors in Pakistan’s Khyber-Pakhtunkhwa province.
- Pakistan is also aiming at increasing donkeys’ population in its province as the animal is highly valued in China for its hide which is used to manufacture medicines.
- The 1st rail freight service from United Kingdom to China departed from Essex.
- Earlier the first freight train in the opposite direction, from China to UK had arrived in London in January 2017.
- Note : The train service was launched as part of China’s ambitious One Belt, One Road (OBOR) initiative that aims to revive the ancient Silk Road trading routes with the West dating back more than 2,000 years.
- The 12th edition Indo-Mongolian Joint Military Exercise Nomadic Elephant 2017 has begun at Vairengte in Mizoram.
- It seeks to promote military associations between India and Mongolia.
- Note : The first joint Nomadic Elephant was held in 2004 and since then it is annually held.
National Current Affairs
The National Current Affairs as on 11th April 2017 are as follows:
- Today (11th April 2017) is National Safe Motherhood Day.
- This day is observed across India on 11 April to create awareness on proper healthcare and maternity facilities to pregnant and lactating women.
- This day was launched by the White Ribbon Alliance (WRA), India, a nonpartisan, non-profit and non-governmental membership organization that aims to decrease maternal and newborn death globally
- The Central government today launched ‘Nakshe‘, a dedicated web portal allowing Indians to download accurate Indian maps prepared by the Survey of India.
- Kerala government has promulgated an ordinance making it mandatory for all state schools, including both private and government schools, to teach Malayalam
- To stop food wastage, the Centre is planning to fix the quantity of food served by restaurants and hotels.
- It is drafting a questionnaire for eateries to explain what dish sizes they should serve.
- The Lok Sabha today passed the Motor Vehicle (Amendment) Bill 2016, which will impose stiffer penalties for traffic rules violations.
- The bill proposes a three-year jail term for parents of minors caught driving and causing fatal accidents, and a ten-fold increase in compensation for families of accident victims.
- The Motor Vehicles (Amendment) Bill 2016 seeks to impose stricter penalties for traffic violations, including increasing the fine for drunken driving to ₹10,000 from ₹2,000.
- It seeks to make services like issuance of licence transparent and online, and provides for punitive action against officials in case of delay in issuance of documents to eligible applicants.
- The bill also seeks to make issuance of driving licenses online.
- PM Narendra Modi and his Australian counterpart Malcolm Turnbull on Monday inaugurated the TERI-Deakin Nanobiotechnology Centre at Gurugram.
- This is world’s most advanced Nanobiotechnology Research Centre.
- This is a joint venture between TERI and Deakin University, Australia.
- This centre aims to support and nurture innovative ideas for existing problems of Indian agriculture among other sectors.
MOUs & Agreements
- Visiting Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull along with Indian PM Narendra Modi has signed 6 Agreements in various fields. They are,
- Implementation arrangement between ISRO and Geoscience Australia on Cooperation in Earth Observation and Satellite Navigation.
- MoU for Promotion and Development of Cooperation in Civil Aviation Security.
- MoU on Cooperation in Combatting International Terrorism and Transnational Organized Crime.
- MoU on Cooperation in Sports.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Environment, Climate and Wildlife.
- MoU on Cooperation in the field of Health and Medicine.
The important New Appointments list as on 11th April 2017 are as follows:
- The 1st woman Commissioner of Scotland Yard in its 187-year history, Cressida Dick took charge of her post today.
- Former Prime Minister of India Morarji Ranchhodji Desai is known to be the ‘oldest appointed Prime Minister‘ at the time of first appointment, according to the Guinness World Records.
- Desai, who was 81 years old when he was appointed in March 1977, served as the Prime Minister until July 1979.
People in News
- In the latest provocation, Pakistan today awarded death sentence to alleged Indian spy Kulbhushan Jadhav who was arrested last year on charges of spying, “for his involvement in espionage and sabotage activities against Pakistan”.
- Who is Kulbhushan Jadhav ?
- He was a former naval officer.
- He joined the Indian National Defence Academy in 1987 and the Indian Navy in 1991.
- He reportedly became a businessman after taking retirement from the Navy and travelled across the world.
Awards & Honors
- Nobel Peace Prize winner, Malala Yousafzai, has been made the youngest ever United Nations Messenger of Peace.
- United Nations Secretary General, Antonio Guterres bestowed on her the highest honor the U.N. chief can give a global citizen.
- Colson Whitehead’s National Book Award–winning speculative history novel The Underground Railroad was honored with the prestegious Pulitzer Prize in Fiction for 2017.
Books & Authors
- During his 4 day visit to Arunachal Pradesh, the Dalai Lama has released a book titled “Ocean and Blue Mountains“.
- This book published by the department of Karmik and Adhyatmik Affairs.
- The book title refers ‘Ocean’ as His Holiness and ‘Blue Mountains’ as the people of Arunachal Pradesh and is a collection of memoirs of the special bond shared between the two.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates list as on 11th April 2017 are as follows:
- Ruhaan Alva, a 10-year-old boy from Bengaluru has won the Easykart Championship, a go-karting tournament, in Lonato, Italy today.