Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 11th March 2017.
- Foreign and defense ministers of European Union members reached a deal today to create a headquarters for military training operations.
- France and Germany support the proposal and have pressed the European Union to do more to ensure its own defense and counter the threat of terrorism.
- The creation of the union’s headquarters is specifically intended not to undermine NATO’s role.
- Iceland became the first country in the world to force companies to prove they pay all employees the same, regardless of gender, sexuality or nationality.
- The country’s government announced a new law that will require every company with 25 or more staff to get a certificate demonstrating pay equality.
- Note : Iceland has pledged to eradicate gender pay gap by 2022.
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 11th March 2017 are provided below:
- The BJP scripted a historic victory in Uttar Pradesh where it emerged as the single largest party with win in over 300 seats.
- In Uttarakhand, the party defeated Congress led by Harish Rawat, winning 55 seats.
- In Punjab, the Congress made a comeback with Captain Amrinder Singh at the helm.
- In Goa and Manipur, the Congress has emerged as the single largest party.
- Highlights :
- Cricketer-turned-politician and Congress leader Navjot Singh Sidhu won from the Amritsar (East) constituency by over 42,000 votes.
- Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav has submitted his resignation to Governor Ram Naik following his party’s loss in the state Assembly elections.
- Congress leader Harish Rawat tendered his resignation as the Chief Minister of Uttarakhand after losing elections from both the constituencies he had contested from.
- India’s first air-conditioned rail ambulance was unveiled in Mumbai today.
- The Central Railway ambulance aims to provide victims of train accidents emergency treatment within the first hour, when chances of survival are highest.
- Rajya Sabha today passed a bill to amend the Enemy Property Act, 1968, by voice vote.
- The 49-year-old law allows the government to takeover properties owned by people who migrated to China or Pakistan.
- Following Tamil Nadu, traders in Kerala have decided to stop sale of drinks produced by Coca-Cola and PepsiCo, to promote local beverages like lime soda.
- The boycott is in protest against exploitation of groundwater by the companies amid threats of a drought.
- For the first time in India, 4 states (Odisha, West Bengal, Chhattisgarh and Jharkhand) have decided to conduct a synchronised elephant census.
- These four states together have the maximum number of human-elephant conflict-prone regions in India.
- These states will conduct the census based on an identical set of rules using the direct and indirect counting methods.
- This census will be held during May 2017.
Business & Economic Affairs
- The government today apprised the Parliament that defence equipment worth over ₹2.42 lakh crore was bought in last four years.
- Expenditure on a purchase of defence equipment for the three armed forces was ₹66,821 crore in 2013-14 fiscal, ₹65,583 crore in 2014-15, ₹62,341 crore in 2015-16 and ₹47,494 for the ongoing 2016-17 fiscal.
The New Appointments list as on this day are as follows:
- The Chief Justices of Kerala, Chhattisgarh, Madhya Pradesh, and Jharkhand were appointed today.
- New Chief Justice of the Kerala High Court – Justice Navniti Prasad
- New Chief Justice of the Chhattisgarh High Court – Justice T B Radhakrishnan
- New Chief Justice of the Madhya Pradesh High Court – Hemant Gupta
- New Chief Justice of the Jharkhand High Court – P K Mohanty
- EU leaders have re-elected Donald Tusk as President of the European Council despite a bid to oust him by his home country, Poland.
- Former Argentina captain Diego Maradona will become the ambassador of the Chinese Super League.
Science & Technology
- India today successfully test-fired the BrahMos supersonic cruise missile, which is capable of carrying a warhead of 300 kg, from a test range along the Odisha coast.
- The missile has already been inducted into the Army and Navy, while the Air Force version is in the final stage of its trial.
- State-run NTPC today announced that it has installed India’s largest floating solar photovoltaic (PV) plant at Rajiv Gandhi Combined Cycle Power Plant at Kayamkulam in Kerala.
- Note : The 100 kWp (kilowatt peak) plant has been indigenously developed as a part of ‘Make In India’ initiative.
Awards & Honors
- Indian Institute of Technology (IIT)-Madras has won the 2017 IEEE Spectrum Technology in the Service of Society Award for its solar-direct current (DC) inverter system.
- The system was developed by Centre for Decentralised Power Systems at IIT-M using micro grid technology.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Current Affairs updates as on 11th March 2017 are as follows:
- The Board of Control for Cricket in India (BCCI) has awarded ₹1 crore to the Indian blind cricket team that won the Twenty20 World Cup last month by beating arch-rivals Pakistan in the title clash in Bengaluru.