Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 13th December 2016.
- India has outshone Russia, France, Japan and Saudi Arabia in the defence budget and has become world’s fourth largest defence spender, according to the 2016 Jane’s Defence Budgets report.
- Top 10 in the List :
- US – $622.03 billion
- China – $191.75
- UK – $53.81
- India – $50.67
- Saudi Arabia – $48.68
- Russia – $48.44
- France – $44.34
- Japan – $41.68
- Germany – $35.75
- South Korea – $33.47
- Top 10 in the List :
- India has been ranked as the fourth most vacation deprived country globally, with 63% people taking fewer days of the vacations they get, a report by a travel company stated.
- The report revealed that 40% Indians don’t use all vacation days or don’t have enough staff to cover, while 32% are not able to take vacations due to personal schedule.
National Current Affairs
The National Current Affairs as on 13th December 2016 are as follows:
- On its 15th anniversary, Prime Minister Narendra Modi today paid homage to the security personnel who were martyred during the 2001 Parliament attack.
- Note : Five heavily armed Pakistani terrorists had attacked the Parliament complex on this day (13th December) 2001, killing at least 9 people.
- Chhattisgarh CM Raman Singh has completed his 13 years rule in the state which is affected by Naxalism.
- The 64-year-old Ayurvedic doctor-turned politician had first assumed office of Chief Minister on December 7, 2003.
- The Delhi High Court has ordered that the identity of minors subjected to sexual offences should not be disclosed anywhere in judicial records.
- The victim should be referred by pseudonyms during the course of the investigation and trial, it said.
- Minority Affairs Minister Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi today announced that the Centre will organise ‘cashless chaupals‘ for minority communities to educate them about the cashless economy.
- The Bihar government has decided to provide free WiFi in colleges and universities but will block pornography and other “undesirable sites”.
- This facility would be in place in educational institutions by February next year.
- The Union Ministry of Tribal Affairs is going to will launch “Vanjeevan”, the National Resource Centre (NRC) for Tribal Livelihood issues in Bhubaneswar, Odisha.
- It will be launched in collaboration with UNDP and National Scheduled Tribes Finance and Development Corporation (NSTFDC).
- Besides, NRC website and e-knowledge platform on tribal livelihood will also be unveiled.
MOUs & Agreements
- The EU has signed a deal with Cuba on political dialogue and cooperation, with Cuba being the only Latin American country to lack such an agreement earlier.
- This comes after EU repealed its 1996 policy which stated that Cuba must improve its human rights conditions before normalisation talks with EU.
- The deal covers issues like trade, human rights and immigration.
- India and Indonesia have signed three agreements in various areas to enhance strategic partnership.
- They are :
- MoU on Standardization Cooperation.
- MoU on Youth and Sports Cooperation.
- Joint Communiqué on Voluntary International Cooperation to Combat Illegal, Unregulated and Unreported (IUU) Fishing and to promote Sustainable Fisheries Governance.
New Appointments list as on 13th December 2016 are as follows:
- Priyanka Chopra has been announced as the UNICEF Global Goodwill Ambassador to promote child rights at the UNICEF 70th anniversary event.
- She was presented as the ambassador by former footballer David Beckham and actress Millie Bobby Brown.
- Former Portuguese PM António Guterres was sworn in as the 9th UN Secretary-General at the UN headquarters in New York on Monday.
- Guterres (67), who had earlier served as the UN High Commissioner for Refugees, replaced South Korea’s Ban Ki-moon.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- A month after demonetisation, India has become the first country to give discounts on digital payments.
- While a discount of 0.75% has been announced on digital payment of fuel, up to 10% discount will be given on e-payment of insurance policies, highway tolls, and railway tickets.
- The government has also waived off service tax on online transactions below ₹2,000.
- The Uttar Pradesh Cabinet today approved the recommendations of the 7th pay commission.
- More than 16 lakh government employees and 6 lakh pensioners will stand to benefit directly from the implementation, a report has stated.
- Note : The seventh pay commission will add a burden of ₹24,000 crores on the state government.
- Two Indian-origin men Vivek Ramaswamy (24th) and Apoorva Mehta (31st) have figured in Forbes magazine’s second annual list of wealthiest entrepreneurs under the age of 40.
- The list was topped by Facebook Co-founder and CEO Mark Zuckeberg. Vivek Ramaswamy, a successful biotech entrepreneur was ranked 24th on with a networth of $600 million and Apoorva Mehta (cofounder of Instacart, a grocery delivery service) stands at 31st spot with a $360 million networth.
- Yes Bank has tied-up with grocery delivery startup Grofers to deliver up to ₹2,000 cash to customers when they order grocery worth minimum ₹2,000 online.
- The service, which is open to all bank account holders, is currently operational in Mumbai, Gurugram and Bengaluru. Grofers delivery executives will carry Yes Bank PoS machines that users can swipe to get cash.
Science & Technology
- Software giant Microsoft India has launched its first full-scale Cybersecurity Engagement Centre (CSEC) in New Delhi.
- It is Microsoft’s seventh Cybersecurity Centre in the world.
- It will function as a satellite to the its Redmond Digital Crimes Unit (DCU).
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports updates as on 13th March 2017 are as follows:
- Portugal’s Cristiano Ronaldo was named the world’s best footballer of 2016 after winning the Ballon d’Or award today.
- Ronaldo, who has now won the award four times, is second on the all-time winners’ list behind Argentina’s Lionel Messi.
- Indian cueist Pankaj Advani won his 11th World Billiards Championships title after beating Peter Gilchrist of Singapore in the tournament’s final in Bengaluru today.
- Following a recent meeting of state sports ministers and secretaries of youth affairs and sports, states have been asked to choose a particular sport and 50 top athletes for special attention.
- While Telangana, which has produced shuttlers like Saina Nehwal and PV Sindhu, opted for badminton and tennis, Tripura, home to Dipa Karmakar, opted for gymnastics.