Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Current Affairs as on 13th February 2017
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 13th February 2017.
- Today (13th February) is World Radio Day.
- The day is observed every year on the 13 of February to celebrate radio as a forum for entertainment and information, as a bridge of communication for remote communities and its role in empowering people.
- This day marks the first broadcast by UN radio in 1946.
- It was proclaimed on 3 November 2011 by UNESCO’s 36th General Conference.
- It was originally proposed by the Kingdom of Spain.
- First world radio day was observed in the year 2012.
- Theme of the year 2017 : “Radio is You”
- India is planning to host a conference on counter-radicalisation with the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) in October 2017.
- This conference will provide common platform to countries for sharing experiences and ideas on prevention of radicalisation amid rise of Islamic State and other extremist ideologies.
- The Islamabad High Court in Pakistan has banned Valentine’s Day celebrations across the country after accepting a petition which called it un-Islamic.
- The court also ordered print and electronic media to stop promoting Valentine’s Day immediately.
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 13th February 2017 are provided below:
- Delhi was formally inaugurated as the capital of British India by Viceroy and Governor-General of India, Lord Irwin, on this day (13th February) in the year 1931.
- Emperor of India, George V, had laid the foundation stone of Delhi on December 12, 1911.
- The Karnataka government today passed the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (Karnataka Amendment) Bill, 2017, in the Legislative Assembly to legalise the traditional buffalo-racing sport Kambala.
- Earlier in November, the Karnataka High Court had banned Kambala through an interim order after a petition was filed by the People for Ethical Treatment of Animals (PETA).
- India’s first ever floating elementary school has opened on Loktak Lake, the freshwater lake in the country, in Manipur.
- Situated about 50 km from Imphal, the school will not only cater to the need of the children but of the illiterate adults as well.
- The school will be accommodating around 25 students and two teachers from the local community.
- The 11th biennial edition of International Aerospace and Defence Exhibition – Aero India 2017 will be held at the Air Force Station, Yelahanka, Bangalore from February 14-18.
Awards & Honors
- 59th Grammy Awards :
- Indian Tabla player Sandeep Das won the Best World Music Album award for ‘Sing Me Home’.
- Singer David Bowie, who passed away on January 10, 2016, won five awards posthumously for his album ‘Blackstar‘.
- Singer Adele won five awards including Album Of The Year for ‘25‘.
- Check Complete Winners of 59th Grammy Awards from HERE.
- Note : Late Indian classical musician Pandit Ravi Shankar won a total of five Grammy Awards in his life time, making him the Indian with most Grammy Awards.
- 70th British Academy Film Awards (BAFTAs) :
- Indian origin British actor Dev Patel was named the Best Supporting Actor for his role in the film ‘Lion’.
- Casey Affleck won the Leading Actor award for ‘Manchester by the Sea’.
- Viola Davis was named the Best Supporting Actress for her role in ‘Fences’ at the awards ceremony.
- Emma Stone and Ryan Gosling starrer ‘La La Land‘ won five awards, including the award for Best Film.
- International Society for Krishna Consciousness (ISKCON) food relief foundation ‘Annamrita‘ has bagged the IMC Ramkrishna Bajaj National Quality award in the NGO category for the second time in a row.
- Over 12 lakh underprivileged children across India get nutritious and hygienic meals from its 20 centralised, ISO certified kitchens every day through its mid-day meal scheme.
- Saudi Arabian Crown Prince Mohammed bin Nayef has been awarded a Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) honour in recognition of his efforts to fight terrorism.
- The crown prince was presented ‘George Tenet’ medal by CIA Director Mike Pompeo in Riyadh.
Science & Technology
- Navy’s survey-class vessel INS Sarvekshak has become India’s first warship to install solar panels on board.
- The Navy said the system was 100% reliable and could be used for communication equipment, battery charging and general lightings.
- Indian Air Force will induct the country’s first indigenous all-weather airborne early warning and control (AEW&C) system, also called the ‘eye in the sky‘, on February 14, the first day of Aero India 2017.
- The system will have the capability to detect incoming fighters, cruise missiles and even drones from both Pakistan and China, according to reports.
- Indian poet and politician, often referred to as the ‘Nightingale of India’, Sarojini Naidu‘s 138th birth anniversary is being observed today.
- She was the 1st woman Governor of a state in Independent India and was commissioned in Uttar Pradesh.
- She was also the 1st Indian woman to become the President of the Indian National Congress.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates on 13th February 2017 details are provided below:
- English cricketer Joe Root has been appointed as England’s new Test captain.
- With this he becomes the 80th English Test captain.
- Netherlands’ Germaine de Randamie became the 1st winner of the UFC women’s featherweight championship after a second-round victory over Holly Holm at the UFC 208 in Brooklyn, New York.