National Current Affairs
- Mumbai Police has launched an ‘Alert is Alive‘ campaign on Twitter to mark the Road Safety Week.
- The Government has increased the minimum monthly pension to 9,000 per person, besides a two-fold hike in ex-gratia amount for central government employees.
- Airline company Air India today announced the reservation of six seats in the third row on every domestic flight for women travelling alone, beginning January 18.
- Keeping young adolescent girls’ health and hygiene in mind, the Haryana Government has decided to install automated sanitary napkin vending machines and incinerators in the state’s all government colleges. .
- Delhi was declared free from bird flu (H5N8 avian influenza) after consecutive samples collected at 15 days’ intervals from the last positive results tested negative.
- Note : In October 2016, cases of mortality among the birds due to H5N8 avian influenza were reported in National Zoological Park, Delhi NCR.
Also Read Current Affairs of :
MOUs & Agreements
- The Gujarat Government has signed an MOU worth Rs.77,000 crore with the Ministry of Railways for the Mumbai-Ahmedabad Bullet train project.
- To improve economic and political relations between the two island nations, Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe has signed a 1-trillion yen (8.7 billion dollars), aid package over the next five years to the Philippines.
- Low-cost airline SpiceJet has recently signed a deal for around 205 planes worth $22 billion (over Rs.1.5 lakh crore) with US airplane manufacturer Boeing.
- This marks the biggest expansion plan by the carrier, which is seeking to take back market share from leader IndiGo.
- The order is also the largest ever placed by an Indian airline for Boeing aircraft.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- Citi Bank India has introduced voice biometrics authentication system for its phone banking clients.
- The technology allows its clients to use their voiceprints for authentication rather than remember multiple PINs or respond to questions used for verifying identities.
- Bharti Airtel today launched Airtel Payments Bank across India.
- Note : This is India’s first payments bank.
- This bank will operate across 29 states with a network of 2.5 lakh banking points through Airtel retail stores.
- MD & CEO : Shashi Arora
Science & Technology
- India’s first ever solar powered boat called ‘Aditya‘ was launched at Kochi’s Vembanad lake in Kerala today.
- The 75-seater boat fitted with 78 rooftop solar panels, will ferry along a 2.5-kilometre route 22 times a day.
- The boat can travel at a maximum speed of about 14 kmph and cruises without noise and minimal vibration, unlike the diesel ferries.
- The Chief Executive Officer and Managing Director of TCS, Natarajan Chandrasekaran has become the company’s new Chairman.
- He will take charge on 21st February.
- He is going to replace Cyrus Mistry.
- Important Note : He is the first non-Parsi to be appointed for the top post at Tata Sons.
- TCS also appointed Rajesh Gopinathan as the new CEO of the firm.
- He will replace N Chandrasekaran who has been appointed as the new Tata Sons Chairman.
Awards & Honors
- Outgoing US President Barack Obama has awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom to Vice President Joe Biden.
- Note : This is US’s highest civilian honour.
- Bollywood actress Katrina Kaif, along with Academy Award winner Jeremy Irons, ‘House of Cards’ actress Robin Wright and ‘90210’ actress Annalynne McCord will be the speaker in the Stage and Screen field for a talk at the Oxford University in coming February. will be some of the other speakers at the event.
Sports Current Affairs
- Former world champion Sarita Devi is going to become the first female professional boxer from India.
- She will be making her professional debut against Hungary’s Zsofia Bedo on 29th January 2016.