Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Also Read Current Affairs of :
International Current Affairs
- Ecuador has taken over from Thailand as Chair of the Group of 77 (G77) countries of the United Nations for the year 2017.
- The group promote collective economic interests of the 134 developing countries at the United Nations, including India.
- About Group of 77
- Founded on – 15th June 1964
- Founding Members – 77
- Current Members – 134
- Current Chairman (2017) – Ecuador
- After the lifting of international sanctions on Iran in 2015, the country today received its first new aircraft in 40 years.
- A commercial passenger jet for airline Iran Air, Airbus A321 arrived at Tehran on a flight from the Airbus headquarters in France.
- The jet is the first of the 100 aircraft Iran ordered after sanctions were lifted.
- The US has announced the end of a 20-year economic embargo on Sudan by lifting trade and financial sanctions.
- The announcement made by outgoing President Barack Obama’s administration in an effort to foster ties with the Sudanese government to improve security in the region.
- Note : This will be for the first time in two decades Sudan will be able to receive imported goods and services from US.
National Current Affairs
- The 1st edition of ABU (Asia Pacific Broadcasting Union) International Television Dance Festival was held in Hyderabad (Telangana).
- The Mumbai Police has banned the use and sale of glass-coated manjas ahead of Makar Sankranti.
- The West Bengal government has replaced the traditional name for rainbow in Bengali ‘Ramdhenu‘ (meaning Lord Ram’s bow) with ‘Rongdhenu‘ (meaning bow of colours).
- After a jawan alleged in a video that poor quality food was being served at border posts, BSF has launched two helpline numbers for its personnel to register their complaints anonymously till January 31.
- BSF Director General : KK Sharma
MOUs & Agreements
- India and the US have signed MoU to collaborate in the fields of developmental activities and aid in third world countries.
- The MoU was signed between the Millennium Challenge Corporation (MCC) and Union Ministry of External Affairs’ Development Partnership Administration (DPA).
- India and Sri Lanka signed MOU to construct 3000 rain water harvesting systems in Rin Jaffna District at a cost of 300 million Sri Lankan Rupees.
- The Central Board of Direct Taxes (CBDT) has entered into a Bilateral Advance Pricing Agreement (BAPA) with Indian subsidiary of a Japanese trading company.
- Freedom fighter Mohan Singh Josan (92) passed away.
- He had taken part in Quit India Movement.
- Senior Congress leader and former Tourism Minister of Maharashtra Chandrakant Chhajed (67) passed away.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- India‘s retail inflation eased to a three-year low of 3.41% in the month of December, as against 3.63% in November 2016.
- This was due to weak demand as consumers grappled with cash crunch following demonetisation.
- Further, food inflation also fell to 1.37% in December, from 2.11% in November.
- Mexico today appointed Geronimo Gutierrez, head of the North American Development Bank, as the new ambassador to the US.
Science & Technology
- India today successfully test-fired guided rocket Pinaka Mark-II from a defence test facility off Odisha coast.
- The rocket was fired from a multi-barrel rocket launcher (MBRL).
- Nauru is the only country in the world without an official capital.
- Once known as Pleasant Island, it is the third smallest country by area and second smallest by population.
- The 21-square-kilometre island country, located in Micronesia in the Pacific Ocean, houses a little over 10,000 residents.
- Note : Nauru has no armed forces and Australia is responsible for its defence.
Recent Committees in News
- The Expert Committee set up to prepare Socio Economic and Caste Census (SECC) has submitted its report to the Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD).
- The objective of this committee was to study criteria for allocation of resources to States and identification and prioritization of beneficiaries under various programmes using SECC data.
- Head of this committee : Sumit Bose (Former Finance Secretary)
Sports Current Affairs
- China faces a one-year ban from international weightlifting competitions after three of its weightlifters failed doping retests and were stripped of their Olympic 2008 gold medals.
- Note : The International Weightlifting Federation had announced in 2016 that countries with three or more athletes failing doping retests will be disqualified from all international competitions for a year.