International Current Affairs
- China has handed over two ships Hingol and Basol, to the Pakistan to safeguard the strategic Gwadar port and trade routes under the ambitious China-Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).
Also Read Current Affairs of:
National Current Affairs
- Today (15th January) is 69th Indian Army Day
- It was on this day in 1949 when Lt. General (later Field Marshal) KM Cariappa became the first Indian Commander-in-Chief of the Indian Army post Independence.
- This day inspires the troops to continue to enrich the glorious traditions of the Indian Army with their dedication and sacrifice.
- This Day also marks a day to salute the valiant soldiers who sacrificed their lives to protect the country and the people living in it.
- Important Names to Remember :
- India’s first museum dedicated to preserving the skeletal remains of marine mammals will open in Mumbai by the end of this year.
- The museum will house the skeletons of an endangered 40-foot-long Bryde’s whale and 25-foot-long Sperm whale, among others.
- The Union Ministry of Commerce and Industry (MOCI) has launched a mobile application named “SEZ India”.
- This app will help the SEZ Units and Developers to find information easily and track their transactions on Online System.
- It will also facilitate them to file all their transactions digitally through SEZ Online system and track the status on the go through the SEZ India mobile app.
- Andhra Pradesh CM Chandrababu Naidu will participate in the 47th Annual General Meeting of the World Economic Forum (WEF) in Davos, making it the third straight year for him to attend the event.
- He will represent India in a session titled ‘India and South Asia Regional Strategy Group Meeting‘.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- US will issue a commemorative $100 gold coin depicting Lady Liberty, a national symbol generally portrayed as a white woman, as an African-American for the first time.
- The 24-karat gold piece will be released on April 6 in honor of the US Mint’s 225th anniversary.
- Purpose behind this : to reflect the cultural and ethnic diversity of the US
- Deutsche Bank has banned text messages and other communication apps like WhatsApp, Google Talk and iMessage on company-issued phones.
- The policy, which also applies to personal phones used for work purposes, will become applicable from this quarter.
- The union government is going to release a special postage stamp on January 17 to mark the birth centenary of actor and former Tamil Nadu CM MG Ramachandran (MGR).
- Note : MGR founded his own political party the All India Anna Dravida Munnetra Kazhagam (AIADMK) in 1972.
Science & Technology
- Numeric combination ‘12345‘ has been named the most common password of 2016 by password managing application Keeper Security, which reviewed 10 million passwords that became public following data breaches.
- Passwords ‘123456789’ and ‘qwerty’ were the second and third most common passwords respectively.
- Japan’s space agency JAXA has aborted its mission to use a mini-rocket to launch a satellite, following a glitch in the communications system shortly after liftoff.
- The rocket, which was reportedly one of the smallest satellite-carrying units in the world, was carrying a 35-centimetre satellite.
- US based rocket manufacturing company SpaceX successfully launched constellation of 10 satellites into orbit on board of its two stage Falcon 9 Rocket from the Vandenberg Air Force Base, California.
- The satellites were deployed into the designated to low-Earth orbit about an hour after launch.
- Former Punjab Chief Minister Surjit Singh Barnala (91) passed away.
- He was a Shiromani Akali Dal member and had served as the Chief Minister of the state from 1985-1987.
- He had also served as the first Governor of Uttarakhand.
Awards & Honors
- Lance Naik Hanamanthappa Koppad, the soldier who died after he was miraculously rescued alive from beneath the snow six days after an avalanche hit his post in Siachen Glacier, was awarded the Sena Medal today.
- Along with him, fifteen other soldiers will be awarded gallantry awards, of which five were martyred.
- 62nd Filmfare Awards 2017
- Aamir Khan won the Best Actor award for ‘Dangal’.
- Alia Bhatt was named the Best Actor (Female) for ‘Udta Punjab’
- Sonam Kapoor won the Critics Award for Best Actor (Female) for ‘Neerja’
- Critics Award for Best Actor (Male) was jointly won by Manoj Bajpayee for ‘Aligarh’ and Shahid Kapoor for ‘Udta Punjab’.
- The Aamir Khan starrer film ‘Dangal‘ was named the Best Film
- Hollywood actor Ryan Reynolds, who featured in 2016 superhero film ‘Deadpool’, was named ‘Hasty Pudding Man of the Year 2017‘ by Harvard University’s student theatre group, ‘Hasty Pudding Theatricals’.
- The award is given to actors for their contributions to the entertainment industry.