Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Current Affairs as on 17th February 2017
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 17th February 2017.
- Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE Sheikh Mohammad bin Rashid today announced the ‘Mars 2117′ plan to build the 1st city on Mars in 100 years.
- The city, reportedly the size of Chicago, will have a population of 6 lakh.
- India and Nepal have agreed to build new cross-border power transmission lines during their fourth bilateral meeting on power cooperation.
- The transmission lines will help in distribution of electricity from upcoming power projects in Nepal.
- India also expressed readiness to train Nepalese engineers and consider new letters of credit for building infrastructure in Nepal.
- India was ranked 143rd out of 186 economies in the annual Index of Economic Freedom 2017 which measures the degree of economic freedom in the countries of the world.
- The index was released by top US based Think Tank, The Heritage Foundation.
- Top 5 Countries of Economic Freedom Index 2017
- Hong Kong
- New Zealand
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 17th February 2017 are provided below:
- A 2-day mega event of Global Investor Summit, branded as “Momentum Jharkhand” has started at Khelgaon of Ranchi today.
- More than one thousands delegates, including many leading industrialists, both Indian and from other countries, are taking part in this summit.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi addressed the summit through video-conferencing.
- The Jharkhand Government is hoping for an investment of around three lakhs seventy five thousands cores rupees from 219 companies.
- To ensure transparent award of statutory Clearances for mining operations, the Ministry of Mines has launched Transparency, Auction Monitoring and Resource Augmentation (TAMRA) Portal and Mobile Application.
- Note : The TAMRA platform was simultaneously launched across 12 mineral rich states as a part of the Ease of Doing Business in the Mining sector and to double mining contribution to GDP.
- Science Express Climate Action Special, a Science Express train was flagged off today by Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu on a seven-month journey that will cover 68 stations across the country.
- The main aim of this train is to spread awareness about climate change.
- This 16-coach train is a collaborative initiative of Ministries of Railways, Environment, and Science and Technology.
- The Supreme Court today introduced Middle Income Group Scheme (MIGS) a self-supporting scheme for providing legal services to the middle and relatively lower income groups.
- Under this scheme, middle class people who cannot afford the expensive litigation in the apex can avail the services of the society for a nominal amount.
Awards & Honors
- Renowned Hindi litterateur and playwright Surendra Verma has been selected for the prestigious Vyas Samman Award for the year 2016.
- He was chosen for this award for his novel titled Kaatna Shami Ka Vriksha : Padma Pankhuri Ki Dhar Se, which was published in 2010.
- This book has been translated into six Indian languages
- He has won the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1993 and the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1996.
People in News
- World’s biggest maker of smartphones and memory chips, Samsung Group chief Jay Y Lee was arrested today over his alleged role in a corruption scandal rocking the highest levels of power in South Korea.
The Newly Appointed people on 17th February 2017 are as follows
- Chinese smartphone maker Xiaomi has promoted its India head Manu Kumar Jain to Global Vice President.
- He is going to replace Hugo Barra, who left the company last month after a 3.5-year stint to lead Facebook’s virtual reality efforts.
- Five new Supreme Court judges were sworn in today, taking the apex court’s working strength to 28 but still short of 31.
- Justices Sanjay Kishan Kaul, Navin Sinha, Mohan M Shantanagoudar, Deepak Gupta and S Abdul Nazeer were administered the oath of office by Chief Justice of India J S Khehar on Friday morning.
- Mohammad Kaif has been appointed as the assistant coach of Indian Premier League (IPL) team Gujarat Lions for the 10th edition of the tournament starting April 5.
- He will work alongside Australian Brad Hodge, who was retained as the head coach.
- Note : As a player, Kaif has represented Rajasthan Royals, Royal Challengers Bangalore and Kings XI Punjab in the IPL.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates on 17th February 2017 details are provided below:
- India’s women’s cricket team have qualified for the 2017 women’s cricket World Cup to be held in June in England.
- India registered a nine-wicket win over Bangladesh in the ICC Women’s World Cup qualifiers in Sri Lanka today to seal their place in the tournament.
- The team has remained unbeaten in the qualifying event, and plays Pakistan on Sunday.
- Star Indian Shuttle P V Sindhu rises to career best BWF ranking of number 5 as per latest rankings released today.