Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 1st December 2016.
- Today (1st December) is World AIDS Day.
- This day is dedicated to raising awareness of the AIDS pandemic caused by the spread of HIV infection, and mourning those who have died of the disease.
- Theme of World Aids Day 2016 : Hands up for HIV Prevention
- Important Note :
- World AIDS Day is one of the eight official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO).
- Remaining are,
- World Health Day,
- World Blood Donor Day,
- World Immunization Week,
- World Tuberculosis Day,
- World No Tobacco Day,
- World Malaria Day and
- World Hepatitis Day.
- Pakistan PM’s Advisor on Foreign Affairs Sartaj Aziz is going to visit India on Sunday to attend the Heart of Asia conference.
- The two-day conference will be held in Amritsar from December 3rd.
- It focuses on regional cooperation between Afghanistan and its neighbours for improving connectivity and tackling security threats.
- Online English source for word meanings, Dictionary has named ‘Xenophobia‘ as Word of the Year for 2016.
- Xenophobia refers to the fear or hatred of foreigners, people from different cultures or strangers.
- According to Dictionary, the word was most looked up by users after Brexit, or when UK voted to leave the European Union, and during US presidential elections.
- Canadian PM Justin Trudeau today approved a controversial pipeline from Alberta oil sands to the country’s Pacific Coast.
- Environmentalists criticised the pipeline over fears of oil spills as it’ll bring oil tankers to Canadian waters.
- The Dutch Parliament has voted overwhelmingly in favour of a ban on wearing burqas in designated public places including schools, hospitals and on public transport.
- The rule, which still needs approval from the Senate, also outlaws all face-coverings including ski masks and helmets.
- Note : Similar laws have already been implemented in France, Belgium, and Bulgaria.
- The ceasefire agreement signed between India and Pakistan in 2003 recently completed 13 years.
- The accord is the first ceasefire arrangement between the two countries that covered the International border, Line of Control, and the Siachen Glacier.
- Note : There have been 2,058 instances of ceasefire violations since the pact was signed.
National Current Affairs
The National Current Affairs as on 1st December 2016 are as follows:
- Nagaland is celebrating 53rd statehood day.
- Note : It was on this day in 1963 that Nagaland became the 16th state of India.
- Uttar Pradesh CM Akhilesh Yadav today flagged off the Lucknow metro train, whose trial run will take place on 8.5 km stretch.
- They completed the metro work in 26 months, which is a record for any metro rail project in India.
- Further, the metro train service will be made available for the people after March 2017.
- The government today announced that NGOs and Voluntary Organisations (VOs) need to register themselves with NITI Aayog to receive grant-in-aid from the Centre.
- It also mandated that the NGOs and VOs sign up on ‘NGO-DARPAN‘ portal and obtain a system-generated unique ID for any grant.
- It added that 81,353 NGOs/VOs have signed up on the portal as of November 24.
- In an attempt to promote cashless transactions post note ban, Maharashtra Cabinet today mandated the linking of Aadhaar with its schemes for the poor.
- The amount related to the scheme will directly be transferred to the beneficiaries’ accounts.
- A cyclone dubbed NADA is going to hit the Tamil Nadu coast on December 2 with heavy rainfall predicted in north coastal Tamil Nadu and Puducherry.
- The cyclone is at present about 770 km south-east of Chennai and expected to move west and intensify.
- NITI Aayog held 1st meeting of Committee of Chief Ministers to examine & measures to promote Digital payments systems.
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for inclusion of 15 new castes and modification in 13 other castes in the Central list of Other Backward Classes (OBCs) in respect of 8 states.
- Note : These 8 states are Assam, Bihar, Himachal Pradesh, Jharkhand, Maharashtra, Madhya Pradesh, Jammu & Kashmir and Uttarakhand.
MOUs & Agreements
- India today signed a ₹5,000-crore deal with the US to buy 145 M777 lightweight Howitzer guns for the Army.
- The deal was approved by Defence Ministry in October to strengthen the Army, which has reportedly been facing a crunch in this weaponry segment.
- While 25 guns will come in ready-to-use condition, the remaining 120 will be assembled in India.
New Appointments list as on 1st December 2016 are as follows:
- Bollywood Actor Salman Khan has been appointed the Ambassador of Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation’s Drive against open defecation and litter.
- Salman’s non-profit organisation ‘Being Human Foundation’ will reportedly donate five mobile toilets to the BMC, to be placed at Bandstand, Mumbai.
- Gareth Southgate was named as England’s Permanent Manager on a four-year contract .
Business & Economic Affairs
- The government has today announced that the Jewellery/gold purchased through disclosed income or reasonable household savings will not become taxable under the amended I-T Act.
- The Act will also not apply to ancestral jewellery.
- Further, there will be no seizure of gold jewellery up to 500 grams per married lady, 250 grams per unmarried lady and 100 grams per male in I-T searches.
- The Organisation of the Petroleum Exporting Countries (OPEC) today reached an agreement to cut their production of oil at a meeting in Vienna in an effort to raise crude oil prices.
- The cartel will now cut production by 1.2 million barrels per day, which accounts for nearly 1.3% of the entire world’s daily oil production.
- The Union Cabinet today approved a ₹2,000-crore development package for refugees from Pakistan-occupied-Kashmir (PoK).
- Relief for the refugees’ families was first announced as a part of the ₹80,000-crore package for J&K by PM Narendra Modi in November last year.
- Over 36,000 families have been found to be eligible to get relief under the package.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates as on 1st December 2016 are under:
- Pakistan is going to host its first Davis Cup tie in 13 years on home soil against Iran in February next year.
- Note : International cricket teams have refused to play in Pakistan after an attack on the Sri Lankan team in 2009.
- The All India Football Federation has been nominated for the Asian Football Confederation’s Member Association (Developing) Award for 2016 alongside Vietnam and Malaysia.
- The award is given to a member association in recognition of its professional administration and governance as well as its contribution to the development and promotion of the sport at all levels within the country.