Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
- The Nepal government has launched a 10-year-plan to reduce its dependence on vegetable imports from India and make itself self-reliant.
- Note : Every year Nepal imports vegetables worth ₹3,437 crore from India.
National Current Affairs
- Today is 120th birth anniversary of Indian Nationalist and Freedom Fighter Subhash Chandra Bose.
- Bose was born on January 23, 1897, in Cuttack, which was then a part of Bengal province.
- An advocate of complete freedom, Netaji went to jail 11 times during the independence struggle.
- Netaji, the founder of the Indian National Army, was chosen President of the Congress twice when Mahatma Gandhi was also nominated.
- Goa will become the first state in India and across the globe to opt for electronic transmission of postal ballot to service voters in the upcoming elections.
- The voters can download the ballot, fill it and send it via email.
- The ruling AIADMK party in Tamil Nadu today announced that a bill to replace the ordinance lifting the Supreme Court-ordered ban on the traditional bull-taming sport, Jallikattu, was passed in the state assembly unanimously.
- The Jallikattu Bill, which was tabled in the House by Chief Minister O Panneerselvam, aims to permanently protect the bull-taming festival from legal challenges.
- The Supreme Court today gave the Centre two weeks to implement a mechanism to ensure proper verification of mobile phone subscribers while issuing SIM cards.
- It held that it was important to remove fictitious subscribers to crack down on fraudulent activities.
- The Supreme Court also gave four-week time to the Centre to respond to a PIL seeking compulsory voting across India.
- The Union Health Ministry will soon launch population based prevention, screening and control programme for five common Non-Communicable Diseases (NCDs) on the occasion of World Cancer Day which is observed on 4th February 2017.
- Those NCDs are :
- Oral Cavity Cancer
- Breast Cancer
- Cervix Cancer
- Those NCDs are :
Awards & Honors
- The Indian postal department released a special stamp cover featuring Olympic medalists PV Sindhu and Sakshi Malik, and gymnast Dipa Karmakar, in Agartala today.
- The special cover is titled “Golden girls of India – Pride of Nation“.
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi today gave the National Bravery Award to 25 children.
- Four of the awards were posthumously given.
- The selection was made by a high-powered committee comprising representatives of various ministries, NGOs as well as office bearers of Indian Council for Child Welfare.
- Note : The awardees will be granted financial assistance until they complete their schooling.
Recent Committees in News
- The Union Government has constituted a Committee to frame uniform rules for the states to avoid delay in proper implementation of the Rights of Persons with Disabilities Act, 2016 across the country.
- The Committee will be headed by the Secretary from Department of Empowerment of Persons with Disabilities (DEPwD).
- The committee has to submit its report in 3 months.
- PepsiCo veteran Vishal Kaul has been appointed as the Chief Operating Officer (COO) of ride-hailing app Ola.
- He is going to replace Pranay Jivrajka, who has stepped down from his position.
- Note : Jivrajka has been given the new role of founding partner. He will work closely with Co-founder and CEO Bhavish Aggarwal to lead strategic initiatives.
Science & Technology
- India is ready for a fresh trial of its long range nuke-capable submarine-launched ballistic missile (SLBM) K-4 from an underwater platform on January 31.
- The indigenously built most powerful underwater missile has a strike range of around 3,500 km. K-4 missile, which weighs around 17 tonne, is capable of carrying a warhead of around two tonne.
Sports Current Affairs
- Former India opener and the current mentor of Kings XI Punjab, Virender Sehwag has been named as the Brand Ambassador of the franchise.
- He will also be the team’s head of Cricket Operations and Strategy in the upcoming Indian Premier League season.
Word of the Day
- ‘Aegilops‘ :
- Aegilops, an eight-letter-long word, is the longest English word whose letters are arranged in alphabetical order.
- Meaning of this word : This term refers to a variety of grass and may also mean stye in the inner corner of the eye.