Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 24th March 2017.
- World Tuberculosis (TB) Day is being observed today.
- Theme of the year 2017 : Unite to end TB
- Important Points to Note :
- This day is designed to build public awareness about the global epidemic of tuberculosis (TB) and efforts to eliminate the disease.
- This year it is second year of a two year “United to End TB” Campaign.
- 8.6 million new cases of tuberculosis occur each year globally, of which 2.2 million occur in India.
- This day is one of eight official global public health campaigns marked by the World Health Organization (WHO). The remaining 7 are,
- World Health Day
- World Blood Donor Day
- World Immunization Week
- World Malaria Day
- World No Tobacco Day
- World Hepatitis Day
- World AIDS Day.
- The biometric devices at the airport’s main security screening area capture a traveller’s features and boarding pass, after which a facial scan at the gate allows them to board the plane without showing documents.
- President Mamnoon Hussain, who was the chief guest at the event, called the participation of Chinese troops a “historic event“.
- The military courts had a two-year mandate that expired on January 7 this year.
- The courts were originally set up in response to the 2015 attack on a military-run school by the Pakistani Taliban wherein 134 children were killed.
- A total of 127 countries were surveyed.
- Top 5 Countries in the Index :
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 24th March 2017 are provided below:
- The Parliament has passed The Employees Compensation (Amendment) Bill, 2016.
- The Bill amends the Employee’s Compensation Act, 1923.
- It ensures compensation up to Rs 1 lakh to employee if an injured in an industrial accident and imposes hefty penalty in case of any violation by the employers.
- An Indian Navy team is set to scale Mount Everest as a part of its ‘Sagar Tal se Sagar Matha (Seabed to Summit)‘ expedition.
- The 24-member team, with personnel from INS Chakra and INS Chennai, will plant an ice-axe on the 8,848-metre high peak.
- Earlier, the team took the ice-axe 40 metres below sea-level off Karwar in the Indian Ocean.
- The Union Cabinet approved setting up of National Commission for Socially and Educationally Backward Classes (NSEBC) as a constitutional body.
- In this regard, constitutional amendment bill for amending Constitution mainly by insertion of Article 338B will be soon introduced in the Parliament.
- Centre approves construction of 1 crore tonne capacity Silos (tall towers or pit on a farm used to store grain) for storage of #foodgrains by end of year 2019-20.
New Appointments list as on 24th March 2017
- Dr Randeep Guleria was today appointed as the Director of the All India Institute of Medical Sciences (AIIMS).
- He joined AIIMS as an assistant professor in 1992 and has been the HoD of the department of pulmonary medicine and sleep disorders, since April, 2011.
- He has replaced Rs M C Mishra, who retired from the post of AIIMS director in January after serving for over three years.
Science & Technology
- German scientists are testing an ‘Artificial Sun‘, a massive light array for making hydrogen fuel by dissociating water molecules.
- The array consists of 140 Xenon lamps, typically used as cinematic spotlights, in a honeycomb pattern focused on an 8-inch-by-8-inch patch.
- The lamps can focus energy 10,000 times more intense than natural sunlight generating temperatures up to 3,000ºC on the patch.
Business & Economic Affairs
- Flipkart is acquiring eBay India in a deal that is part of a $2 billion fundraising.
- This comes after recent reports claimed that Flipkart has closed its $1 billion funding from Microsoft, Tencent and eBay, and plans to raise $1 billion more.
- Note : eBay is a small investor in Flipkart’s rival Snapdeal.
- Noted Tamil litterateur Asokamitran (85) passed away today.
- A well known novelist and essayist, he was noted for his subtlety and refreshing creativity in expression.
- Born Thiagarajan, he assumed the pseudonym Asokamitran in the 1960s.
- His work “Appavin Snegithargal“, a collection of short stories won him the Sahitya Akademi Award in 1996.
- He was given the Tiru Vi Ka Award in 2014 for his contribution to Tamil literature by late Chief Minister J Jayalalithaa.
Sports Current Affairs
- Former Indian cricketer Virender Sehwag has been roped in by a Mumbai-based entertainment company to anchor a TV sports programme called ‘Umeed Olympic‘.
- The 13-part series will highlight the journey of country’s top athletes preparing for the 2020 Tokyo Olympic Games.
- Indian para shuttler Sukant Kadam won the Singles and Doubles Bronze Medals in the recently-concluded Spanish Para-Badminton International 2017 held in Mallorca, Spain.