Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Current Affairs as on 26th January 2017
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 26th January 2017.
- Today (26th January) is International Customs Day.
- This day recognizes the role of custom officials and agencies in maintaining border security.
- It focuses on the working conditions and challenges that customs officers face in their jobs.
- Theme of the year 2017 : Data Analysis for Effective Border Management
- The Republic Day of India (26th January) coincides with the Foundation Day of Australia (or Australia Day).
- The Australia Day marks the beginning of the European settlement in Australia and the foundation of the modern Australian state.
- It was on this day (26th January) in the year 1788 that the British ships reached Australia and the flag of Great Britain was raised in the country.
- The President of United States, Donald Trump signed an executive order to enable construction of a 2,000-mile wall along the southern US border with Mexico.
- The wall is aimed at stemming the flow of drugs, illegal immigration into the US.
- Earlier, Trump had vowed to make Mexico pay for the wall even as it refused to pay for it.
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 26th January 2017 are provided below:
- India celebrates 68th Republic Day today.
- The Constitution of India came into force on January 26, 1950, replacing the Government of India Act (1935) as the governing document of India.
- To commemorate this, January 26 is celebrated as Republic Day every year.
- Note : This day was also chosen as the Republic Day because, on January 26, 1930, the declaration of complete independence was proclaimed by the Congress.
- Highlights of Republic Day 2017 :
- Abu Dhabi’s Crown Prince Mohammed bin Zayed Al Nahyan is this year’s chief guest.
- In a first, a military contingent of the United Arab Emirates participated in the parade.
- The 149-member contingent, led by Lieutenant Colonel Abood Musabeh Abood Musabeh Alghfeli, comprised UAE Presidential Guard, Air Force, Navy, Army and 35 musicians.
- Indigenously built Light Combat Aircraft Tejas made its debut at the Republic Day parade and flew over the Rajpath crowd at a speed of 780 km/h.
- Another Sukhoi Su-30 MKI shot through the sky at 900 km/h.
- Apart from these, C-130J Super Hercules, MiG-29, C-17 Globemaster also took part in the flypast.
- In a first, the National Security Guard (NSG) commandos participated in the parade.
- Madhya Pradesh Chief Minister Shivraj Singh Chouhan today announced a total ban on polythene carry bags from May 1 across the state.
- The Union Cabinet has given its approval for launching of Varishtha Pension Bima Yojana 2017 (VPBY 2017).
- The scheme will be implemented through Life Insurance Corporation of India (LIC) during the current financial year i.e. FY 2016-17.
- This scheme will be launched as part of Government’s commitment for financial inclusion and social security.
- The Maharashtra school education department has asked schools to observe February 27 as ‘Marathi Bhasha Gaurav Din‘ to pay a tribute to Jnanpith awardee poet Kusumagraj, who helped develop the Marathi language.
Science & Technology
- Bengaluru-based ‘TeamIndus‘ is among the 5 international finalists for a $20-million award (approximately ₹136 crore) by Google Lunar XPRIZE.
- To win, a privately-funded team must land a robot on the moon that travels at least 500 metres and sends high-definition video and images back to Earth.
- Note : TeamIndus has taken a contract from ISRO to launch its unmanned spacecraft.
- China is planning to build Beijing Light Source, the world’s brightest light source facility in Beijing.
- The project is expected to start in next year.
The New Appointments on 26th January 2017 are as follows:
- Indian-American and former South Carolina Governor Nikki Haley was today sworn in as the US Ambassador to the United Nations.
Awards & Honors
- Havildar Hangpan Dada of the Army’s Assam Regiment was posthumously awarded the Ashok Chakra, India’s highest peacetime military award on the Republic Day.
- Major Rohit Suri of 4 Para, who led one of the teams across the LoC targeting terrorists’ launch pads, was awarded the Kirti Chakra, the second highest peacetime gallantry award.
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar has conferred the Raksha Mantri Padak to 10 girl NCC cadets and one Girls Cadet Instructor, who had successfully summited the Mount Everest.
- Note : The Raksha Mantri Padak was instituted in 1989 and since then it is awarded to the most deserving Cadets every year for bravery or exceptional service of the highest order.
Sports Current Affairs
- Sumo wrestler Kisenosato became the first Japanese wrestler to be titled ‘yokozuna‘, the sport’s grand champion, in almost 18 years.
- The 30-year-old, who weighs 178 kilograms, became the sport’s 72nd yokozuna and Japan’s first after Wakanohana, who won the title in 1998.
- Note : The sport had seen foreign sumo wrestlers getting crowned grand champions for the past few years.