Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Current Affairs as on 27th February 2017
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 27th February 2017.
- Australian Prime Minister Malcolm Turnbull and Indonesian President Joko Widodo have jointly agreed to restore full military cooperation between the two countries.
- Note : Indonesia’s military had suspended military cooperation in January after finding material insulting Indonesia’s founding principles at an Australian base. Australia and Indonesia are also in economic partnership talks to cut tariffs and promote trade.
- ‘Clicktivism‘ (a word for armchair activists on social media), ‘otherize‘ (viewing a group of people as intrinsically different from oneself) and ‘haterade‘ (excessive criticism) are among the new additions to oxforddictionaries.com.
- Note : The words emerged during the US Presidential elections.
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 27th February 2017 are provided below:
- Nation paying tribute to martyr Chandrashekhar Azad (23rd July 1906 – 27th February 1931) on his 87th Death Anniversary today.
- He was a great Indian freedom fighter who was involved in Kakori Train Robbery, the attempt to blow up the Viceroy’s train, and the shooting of Saunders at Lahore to avenge the killing of Lala Lajpat Rai.
- He was the mentor of Bhagat Singh, another great freedom fighter.
- After the independence, to commemorate Chandra Shekhar Azad, Alfred Park (Allahabad), where Chandra Shekhar Azad shot himself was renamed Chandra Shekhar Azad Park.
- The city of Ahmedabad (Gujarat) has celebrated its 606th foundation day on Sunday.
- Manek Nath, a seer, advised the city’s founder Ahmed Shah I to begin the construction of Manek Burj, the foundation bastion of the city on 26th February 1411.
- Note : Ahmedabad is the sixth largest city and seventh largest metropolitan area of India.
- The Madras High Court today suggested Tamil Nadu government bring in a special Act to remove Prosopis Juliflora (Seemai Karuvelam) trees in Tamil Nadu.
- Note : The trees are causing extensive damage to the environment and water.
- So far only 15% of the trees had been removed, the court stated.
- NITK Surathkal will be hosting its annual cultural festival ‘Incident‘ from 1st to 5th March 2017.
- This year’s theme : ‘A Coastal Carnival’
The New Appointments as on 27th February 2017 list is under:
- US Democrats today elected former Labor Secretary Tom Perez as the Chairman of the Democratic National Committee to head the opposition to Republican President Donald Trump.
- Perez, who had served in the Barack Obama administration, won over Keith Ellison by getting 235 out of 435 votes of the Democratic National Committee and immediately declared Ellison as his deputy.
Awards & Honors
- OSCARS 2017 Highlights :
- The Barry Jenkins directorial ‘Moonlight‘ has won the Oscar for ‘Best Picture’.
- Emma Stone won Best Actress award for ‘La La Land’ and Casey Affleck was named Best Actor for ‘Manchester By The Sea’.
- ‘La La Land’ Director Damien Chazelle, who is 32 years and 38 days old, became the youngest to win the Oscar for Best Director.
- American actor Mahershala Ali became the first Muslim actor to win an Oscar as he was named Best Supporting Actor for ‘Moonlight’.
- ‘The Salesman‘, the Iranian film by director Asghar Farhadi, was named the Best Foreign Language Film.
- A musical tribute was paid to Indian actor Om Puri, who passed away on January 6 this year, at Oscars 2017 during the ‘In Memorium’ segment.
- He has starred in Hollywood films like ‘The Hundred-Foot Journey’.
Business & Economic Affairs
- Paytm’s e-commerce arm has launched ‘Paytm Mall‘, a new mobile app and online shopping portal.
- This new platform will allow customers to shop products across categories such as fashion, electronics, consumer durables and home furnishings.
- Note : Paytm has launched a separate e-commerce app since the original Paytm app is now Paytm Wallet and is a part of Paytm Payments Bank.
- Homegrown technology company Smartron is set to launch an exclusive Sachin Tendulkar-branded mobile phone in April.
- The Sachin Tendulkar-branded smartphone will be the third device launched by Smartron in less than 12 months, the other gadgets being the t.phone and t.book.
- Finland-based licensee of the Nokia brand HMD today relaunched the Nokia 3310 phone at about ₹3,500 with a colour display and the iconic Snake game.
- The phone, which was phased out in 2005, will have two micro SIM slots, a 2.4-inch screen, and a 2-megapixel camera.
- It will have 25 days of standby time and 22 hours talk time.
Science & Technology
- Chinese smartphone maker ZTE has unveiled the ‘Gigabit Phone‘, which it says is the world’s first 5G network compatible smartphone.
- The 5G or fifth-generation mobile network will be up to 10 times faster than 4G LTE network, with peak download speed of up to 20 Gbps.
- This means, an HD movie can be downloaded within a second.
- The 5G network will boost the development of new technologies like self-driving vehicles, virtual reality, and the Internet of Things.
- Its download speeds can reach 1Gbps, 10 times faster than the first generation of 4G services widely in use.
- How is 5G mobile network different from 4G ?
- FORPHEUS, developed by Japan-based Omron Corporation, has been given the Guinness World Records title for being the ‘First robot table tennis tutor‘.
- The robot possesses unique technological intelligence and educational capabilities and is known for playing better than humans.
- UK’s tallest man Neil Fingleton (36), who portrayed the giant ‘Mag the Mighty’ on HBO series ‘Game of Thrones’, has passed away.
- Emmy-nominated actor Bill Paxton (61), who starred in some of the biggest Hollywood blockbusters of the 1980s and ’90s passed away.
- He is famous for his roles in the films like The Terminator, Aliens, Twister and Titanic as well as TV shows Big Love and Hatsfields & McCoys
- Former Union Minister P Shiva Shankar (88) passed away.
- He also served as Governor of Sikkim and Kerala.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates on 27th February 2017 details are provided below:
- India has won it’s 1st Gold medal of ISSF World Cup in Delhi in 10m Pistol Mixed team event.
- Indian shooters Jitu Rai and Heena Sidhu clinched the gold medal by defeating Japan in the event’s final.
- Note : Earlier, Pooja Ghatkar had won the women’s 10m air rifle bronze medal at the competition.
- ISSF – International Shooting Sport Federation
- Kalinga Lancers (Bhubaneswar) beat Dabang Mumbai to lift maiden Hockey India League Title in Chandigarh today.