Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Current Affairs as on 27th January 2017
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 27th January 2017.
- Today (27th January) is International Day of Commemoration in Memory of the Victims of the Holocaust (International Holocaust Remembrance Day).
- This day commemorates the genocide that resulted in the death of an estimated 6 million Jewish people, 2 million Romani people, 250,000 mentally and physically disabled people, and 9,000 homosexual men by the Nazi regime and its collaborators.
- Theme of the year 2017 : “Educating for a Better Future: The Role of Historical Sites and Museums in Holocaust Education”
- India has been ranked 79th out of 176 countries in the recently released Corruption Perception Index (CPI) 2016.
- This index was released by the Berlin-based corruption watchdog Transparency International (TI).
- New Zealand and Denmark jointly got 1st place in the index.
- Finland got the 3rd position.
- Top 10 Countries in the List :
- New Zealand and Denmark
MOUs & Agreements
- India and the United Arab Emirates (UAE) have agreed to strengthen mechanisms for exchange of information in tax matters under the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Agreement.
- The nations also agreed to enhance cooperation on law enforcement, smuggling of fake currency, illegal migration, drug trafficking, money laundering, human trafficking, and other organised crimes.
- India and France have signed White Shipping agreement.
- This agreement will information sharing on maritime traffic and maritime domain awareness in the Indian Ocean Region (IOR).
- Indira Gandhi has been the only woman till date to have presented the Union Budget of India in 1970-71.
- This came after Indira Gandhi, the then Prime Minister, took over the Finance portfolio after Morarji Desai resigned as the Minister of Finance. So far, she has been the only woman Finance Minister of India.
Science & Technology
- Facebook today announced that it will let users secure their accounts using a physical USB key.
- Facebook claims the key will act as a more reliable alternative to the two-factor authentication codes received via SMS.
- Russia’s ambassador to India Alexander Kadakin passed away in New Delhi after a brief illness.
- Kadakin, one of the longest serving diplomats in India, was appointed to the post in 2009.
- Emmy award-winning US actress Mary Tyler Moore (80) passed away.
- She was best known for her television roles in the 1960s sitcom The Dick Van Dyke Show and the eponymous The Mary Tyler Moore Show in the 1970s.
- She was also nominated for a best actress Oscar in 1980 for the film Ordinary People.
Sports Current Affairs
Sports Current Affairs for this day are as follows:
- European football’s governing body UEFA today announced a new international tournament, the UEFA Nations League, which will see participation from 55 nations in a league-style format.
- The teams will play in four leagues based on their UEFA rankings.
- Winners of the groups in the top-most league would advance to the knockout stage, while bottom-placed teams will be relegated.
- Sania Mirza and her Croatian mixed doubles partner Ivan Dodig progressed to the final of the Australian Open 2017 after knocking out the Aussie pair of Sam Stosur and Sam Groth in three sets.
- Note : This will be Sania’s fourth mixed doubles final at the Australian Open after having won the trophy in 2009 and finished runner-up in 2008 and 2014.