Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Current Affairs as on 28th January 2017
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 28th January 2017.
- Denmark has announced it will appoint a ‘Digital Ambassador‘ to manage its relationship with technology giants like Google and Apple.
- Note : With this, Denmark will become the first country to appoint Digital Ambassador.
- In an effort to curb tourist numbers, the Spanish city of Barcelona today made a law limiting the number of beds hotels and tourist apartments can offer.
- The law also temporarily prohibited the construction of new hotels.
- Barcelona, which houses 16 lakh residents, was visited by 3.2 crore tourists last year.
- Its residents consider tourism among its biggest problems.
- US President Donald Trump today signed an executive order banning visitors from Syria and six other Muslim-majority countries for three months.
- He put a four-month hold on allowing refugees into the US and said persecuted Christians would be prioritised over other refugees.
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 28th January 2017 are provided below:
- Karnataka Governor Vajubhai Vala has announced ₹1,188 crore in the 2017-18 fiscal for the smart city project.
- The aim of this project is to provide smart solutions at reasonable rates for services provided by the municipal corporations.
- The six cities, which will be developed under the scheme are,
- After a jawan alleged in a video recently that poor quality food was being served at border posts, Army Chief Bipin Rawat today launched a WhatsApp helpline, 9643300008, for its personnel to register their complaints.
- Note : The Border Security Force (BSF) had launched two helpline numbers earlier allowing jawans to register complaints anonymously till January 31.
- Haryana Transport Department has issued a new notification stating that officials cannot check a vehicle if they are not wearing a uniform.
- It has also been made mandatory for officials to wear prescribed uniform, which includes khaki-coloured trousers, shirt and cap.
- The Indian Navy’s Annual Theatre Readiness Operational Exercise (TROPEX) 2017 is being conducted off the Western Seaboard.
- The month long exercise will see participation of ships and aircraft of both the Western and Eastern Naval Command and also assets from the Indian Air Force, Indian Army and the Indian Coast Guard.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- The government today announced it will finally implement the much awaited anti-tax avoidance reforms, General Anti-Avoidance Rule (GAAR) from April 1 in 2017.
- The anti-tax avoidance measures were incorporated in Direct Taxes Code on their introduction in 2010.
- The laws were first introduced in Parliament during 2012 Budget session by the then Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee.
- The government is going to allow people to withdraw their weekly limit of ₹24,000 in a single ATM transaction.
- The single-transaction rule could be implemented within a fortnight.
- The 1st ever budget in India was introduced by the East-India Company and was presented by finance member of the Indian Council, James Wilson, on April 7, 1860.
Science & Technology
- ISRO today successfully tested its indigenously developed Cryogenic Upper Stage for GSLV MkIII, for 50 seconds at ISRO Propulsion Complex (IPRC) at Mahendragiri in Tamil Nadu.
- The next generation launch vehicle of ISRO is capable of launching 4-ton class spacecraft into Geosynchronous Transfer Orbit (GTO).
- The 50-second test is a significant milestone, ISRO stated.
- US-based researchers have created the first-ever human-pig hybrid by injecting human stem cells into early-stage pig embryos.
- The hybrid embryos were essentially pig, with a small human contribution of around one in 10,000 cells.
- The development has increased the prospects of growing human organs inside animals which could then be used in transplants.
The New Appointments on 28th January 2017 are as follows:
- President Pranab Mukherjee today appointed Assam Governor Banwarilal Purohit, as the new Governor of Meghalaya.
- This comes a day after V Shanmuganathan resigned as Governor of Meghalaya and Arunachal Pradesh following allegations that he molested a job aspirant.
- Note : Mukherjee also appointed Nagaland Governor PB Acharya, to discharge functions as the Governor of Arunachal Pradesh.
- Dr Vijay Bhatkar, architect of India’s first supercomputer the Param series has been appointed as the new Chancellor of Nalanda University for three years term.
- He is going to replace George Yeo who resigned after the Board of the University was reconstituted.
- Actor John Hurt (77) who played Mr Ollivander, the wandmaker in the first and final two ‘Harry Potter‘ films, passed away.
- The two-time Oscar nominated actor was known for starring in the 1980 film ‘The Elephant Man’.
Recent Committees in News
- Beijing Olympics gold-medallist shooter Abhinav Bindra was appointed as the Chairman of the reconstituted Target Olympic Podium (TOP) committee.
- This committee also has former sprinter PT Usha and former badminton player Prakash Padukone among others.
- Objective of this Committee : to identify and support potential medal prospects for the 2020 and 2024 Olympic Games.
Sports Current Affairs
Sports Current Affairs for this day are as follows:
- US tennis player Serena Williams went past Steffi Graf to become the player with the most Grand Slam singles titles in Open Era after claiming her 23rd title at the Australian Open against her sister Venus today.
- Following her seventh title in Australia, Serena will now displace Germany’s Angelique Kerber to reclaim the top rank in the women’s singles rankings.
- Jamaican sprinter Usain Bolt returned his 4x100m 2008 Olympic gold, after the International Olympic Committee disqualified the team following Nesta Carter’s positive dope test.
- Anime series Dragon Ball Z’s character Goku has been selected as the Ambassador of the 2020 Olympics to be held in Tokyo.
- Goku is one of the most dedicated athletes in the manga universe as he spends a majority of his life training in martial arts.