Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 29th March 2017.
- US President Donald Trump would be hosting PM Narendra Modi later this year, the White House announced today.
- The US House of Representatives has passed a bill to scrap a Barack Obama-era rule that required internet providers to get customers’ permission before sharing their browsing history with other companies.
- The rule also required internet providers to protect that data from hackers and inform customers of breaches.
- The bill will become law once US President Donald Trump signs it.
- The British government today delivered the formal notification of the country’s intention to leave the European Union to EU President Donald Tusk after 44 years of membership.
- This comes after UK citizens voted to leave the EU in a referendum in June.
- UK PM Theresa May delivered a statement in the Parliament, confirming that the Brexit process has begun.
- The Scottish Parliament today voted in favour of holding a second UK independence referendum.
- Lawmakers voted 69-59 to back First Minister Nicola Sturgeon and seek permission from the UK government for a ballot to be held between autumn 2018 and spring 2019.
- Note : Prime Minister Theresa May had earlier ruled out plans for a new Scottish referendum before Brexit.
- The US, Britain and France are among almost 40 countries that will not join talks on a nuclear weapons ban treaty starting at the UN on Monday, US ambassador to UN Nikki Haley said.
- She further said that the countries skipping the negotiations are instead committed to the Non-Proliferation Treaty which is aimed at preventing the spread of nuclear weapons.
- Cambodia has officially banned selling and exporting human breast milk to the US after reports exposed how women were turning to the controversial trade to boost incomes in the country.
- Earlier, the UNICEF condemned the trade, calling it exploitative.
MOUs & Agreements
- State-run Indian Oil Corporation (IOC) today signed an agreement to supply over 10 lakh tonnes of petroleum products annually to Nepal for the next five years.
- IOC Chairman : B Ashok
Awards & Honors
- Indian Army chief General Bipin Rawat was conferred the honorary rank of General of the Nepal Army by country’s President Bidhya Devi Bhandari today.
Science & Technology
- Indian Navy has commissioned latest indigenously developed surveillance ship INLCU L51.
- It was commissioned at a ceremony held in Port Blair, Andaman & Nicobar Command of Navy.
- INLCU L51 is the first of the eight ships of the LCU Mk IV Class.
- In line with the Union Government’s flagship Digital India programme, Indian Air force has formally launched web based e-billing system Aviation Turbine Fuel Digital Issue and Payment (ATF DIP).
- It was unveiled by Chief of Air Staff (CoAS), Air Chief Marshal BS Dhanoa in New Delhi and it will be implemented from April 1, 2017.
Business & Economic Affairs
- The USA based e commerce giant Amazon has made its entry in UAE by acquiring Souq.com.
- Note : Souq.com ,based in Dubai is the largest e-commerce platform in the Arab world offering more than 400,000 products such as consumer electronics, fashion products, and household goods.
- The Supreme Court today ordered a ban on the registration and sale of vehicles compliant with the older Bharat Stage-III (BS-III) emission norms from April 1.
- The Court asserted that the health of millions was more important than commercial interests.
- Note : More stringent BS-IV norms were introduced in 2010, and a nationwide rollout is expected on April 1.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) today exempted banks dealing in government businesses from remaining open on April 1 in view of the annual closing business.
- This reverses RBI’s earlier order where it asked the banks to mandatorily remain open on all days from March 25 to April 1, including Saturday, Sunday and all holidays.
- India has become Net Exporter of Electricity from a Net Importer of Electricity for the first time, Central Electricity Authority has stated today.
- During the current year 2016-17 (April 2016 to February 2017), India has exported around 579.8 crore units to Nepal, Bangladesh and Myanmar, which is 21.3 crore units more than the import of around 558.5 crore units from Bhutan.
- Leasing of land, renting of buildings, as well as EMIs paid for the purchase of under-construction houses will start attracting the Goods and Services Tax from July 1, 2017.
- However, sale of land and buildings will be out of the purview of the tax regime. Further, electricity has also been kept out of the scope of GST.
Books & Authors
- Jammu & Kashmir Governor N.N.Vohra today released noted Pashmina activist Babar Afzal’s book “6 TIMES THINNER”.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports updates as on 29th March 2017 are as follows:
- Sports Minister Vijay Goel today felicitated India’s Special Olympics contingent, which won 73 medals at the recently concluded event in Austria.
- The 90-athlete contingent won 37 gold, 10 silver and 26 bronze medals at the event to finish fifth in the overall medals tally.