International Current Affairs
- Finland became the first country in Europe to trial a project to pay unemployed citizens a basic monthly income of €560 (around ₹40,000), in a move to reduce poverty and boost employment.
- The Chinese navy today confirmed that its sole aircraft carrier Liaoning conducted military drills and helicopter exercises in “complex sea conditions” in the South China Sea.
- China has termed the drills a routine exercise within international law.
- This comes days after Taiwan claimed the carrier had passed south of the island amid rising tensions between the two countries.
- India has ranked third among the countries offering the highest average annual salary to expatriates, according to HSBC Holdings data.
- Switzerland topped the list with an average salary of $188,275 a year.
National Current Affairs
- The 14th annual overseas Indians’ gathering called “Pravasi Bharatiya Divas” will be held in Bengaluru from January 7-9.
- This will be inaugurated by Prime Minister Narendra Modi,.
- Note : The convention has traditionally been held on January 9 to commemorate the return of Mahatma Gandhi as ‘Pravasi’ from South Africa to India.
- Rajasthan government is going to distribute contraceptives and vanity kits to newly married couples in 14 districts where Total Fertility Rate (TFR) is high.
- The kit would contain condoms, oral contraceptives, pregnancy testing kits and a vanity pouch with things like nail cutter, towels and bindis.
- Note : TFR is the average number of children born per woman during her reproductive life.
- The ongoing All India Police Equestrian Championship and Mounted Police Duty Meet has been named after the deceased police horse Shaktiman.
- Shaktiman was injured in an attack by BJP MLA Ganesh Joshi in Dehradun and died a few weeks later.
- Anshu Jain, the former co-CEO of Germany’s largest lender Deutsche Bank has now joined smaller financial services firm Cantor Fitzgerald.
- Jain will bring decades of work experience in the financial services industry and will join Cantor CEO Howard Lutnick.
- Karnataka State Minister for Cooperation HS Mahadeva Prasad (58) passed away .
- He was a five-term member of the Karnataka Legislative Assembly.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- HDFC bank has launched a chatbot service called ‘OnChat‘ to allow users to make payments through Facebook Messenger.
- The chatbot will allow users to recharge their phones, pay electricity and DTH bills, and even book Uber and Ola taxis.
- Bombay Stock Exchange (BSE) today received approval from markets regulator Securities and Exchange Board of India (SEBI) for its Initial Public Offering (IPO).
- With this IPO, the stock exchange expects to raise over ₹1,200 crore.
- BSE had filed a draft prospectus for the IPO in September, seeking to list its shares on National Stock Exchange (NSE).
- To remove dependency on banks, Paytm has added Unified Payment Interface (UPI) support to its app allowing users to transfer money to their digital wallet with their UPI id.
- Developed by the government-backed corporation, the UPI framework for online transactions supports at least 27 banks.
- This comes a week after SBI disabled the option to transfer money to Paytm.