Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 5th December 2016.
- Today (5th December) is World Soil Day.
- Theme of 2016 : ‘Soils and pulses, a symbiosis for life‘
- Today (5th December) is International Volunteer Day.
- This day is an international observance designated by the United Nations since 1985.
- It offers an opportunity for volunteer organizations and individual volunteers to make visible their contributions – at local, national and international levels – to the achievement of the Millennium Development Goals (MDGs).
- 2016 Theme : Global Applause – give volunteers a hand
- Cuban President Raúl Castro today announced that the government would prohibit naming public monuments or streets after his brother and revolutionary leader Fidel Castro.
- The 6th Ministerial Conference of Heart of Asia summit was held in Amritsar today.
- This conference was attended by over 40 delegates, including 14 from southeast and central Asian member countries.
- Under the ‘Amritsar Declaration‘ adopted at the summit, terrorism was declared the biggest threat to the peace, stability, and prosperity of the Asian nations.
- New Zealand Prime Minister John Key today announced his resignation as the country’s leader in a surprise move, effective from 12 December.
National Current Affairs
The National Current Affairs as on 5th December 2016 are as follows:
- The Rajasthan government is going to launch a mobile application on December 13 that intends to reduce the road accidents’ casualties by half by 2020.
- The app will be integrated with the details of hospitals, police station, ambulance service, emergency services and the user can assess contact details, can seek help or ambulance or report an accident.
- A 3-day Bird festival is being organised by the Uttar Pradesh government in Chambal.
- The festival was inaugurated on Friday by Cabinet Minister Abhishek Mishra.
- Tim Appleton, who reportedly started the world’s first bird fair in England, was also present during the inauguration.
- The festival will feature talks by prominent ornithologists and workshops by professional photographers.
All New Appointments list as on 5th December 2016 are as follows:
- Telecom major Bharti Airtel today announced the appointment of Sunil Taldar as the Chief Executive Officer and Director for its DTH business.
- Taldar will take over Shashi Arora, who after serving for approximately five years as CEO, has moved as MD and CEO of Airtel Payments Bank.
- Note : Airtel digital TV had 1.24 crore customers in quarter ended September.
Awards & Honors
- Prime Minister Narendra Modi has won the reader’s poll for the TIME’s Person of the Year with 18% votes in his favour, beating Barack Obama, Donald Trump and Julian Assange, each with 7% votes.
- Modi also fared above personalities like Hillary Clinton and Mark Zuckerberg.
- The magazine’s editors will declare the final Person of the Year on December 7.
- The 23rd Star Screen Awards, an annual awards ceremony held in India honouring professional excellence in the Bollywood Film Industry was recently held in Mumbai.
- Amitabh Bachchan and Alia Bhatt bagged top honours for the their films Pink and Udta Punjab respectively, with the hard-hitting Pink winning the coveted Best Film Award as well and two other trophies.
- Rekha was honoured with the Lifetime Achievement Award, while Deepika Padukone was adjudged the Best Style Icon for 2016.
- Singer Taylor Swift (26), with earnings of $170 million, has been named the world’s highest paid musician of 2016 by Forbes.
- With earnings of $110 million, English-Irish pop boy band ‘One Direction’ ranked second, while Adele, with earnings of $80.5 million stood third.
Science & Technology
- Indian Space Research Organisation (ISRO) has announced that it is all set to launch PSLV-C36 carrying 1,235 kg remote sensing satellite RESOURCESAT-2A from the spaceport of Sriharikota on December 7.
- The satellite would carry a high-resolution Linear Imaging Self Scanner camera, medium-resolution LISS-3 camera and an advanced wide field sensor camera that operates in various bands.
Business & Economic Affairs
- The Finance Ministry today made it mandatory for the government departments to make payments above ₹5,000 to suppliers, contractors, grantee/loanee institutions, among others, through e-payment.
- Further, the Ministry has directed all the departments to implement the new order with immediate effect.
- This comes amid PM Modi’s advocation for a cashless economy to end corruption and black money.
- The government has declared an incentive of ₹10 for individuals who have transited to digital payment modes and have undertaken at least two successful transactions through it.
- These transactions could be from payment modes like Unified Payment Interface, Aadhaar card-enabled payment mode, e-wallets, and RuPay cards.
- E-commerce major Amazon today launched its global startup program ‘Launchpad‘ in India, an online portal featuring over 400 products from different startups including 25 Indian startups.
- The program will also help Indian startups to sell their products overseas.
- First started in 2015, Amazon Launchpad is now available in seven regions.
- Switzerland plans to increase international cooperation by implementing Automatic Exchange Of Information (AEOI) in its banking practices and will reportedly share private client information with other countries.
- The AEOI on bank accounts will be spread to 22 other countries including India.
- The move aims to stop wealthy foreigners from hiding their illicit income in Swiss banks.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates as on 5th December 2016 are under:
- 51 year old Indian Golfer Mukesh Kumar became the oldest golfer to win an Asian Tour title after lifting the Panasonic Open today.
- Mukesh, who has 123 PGTI titles under his belt, won his first ever title on the Asian Tour in the form of the Panasonic Open.