International Current Affairs
- Indonesia has suspended all military cooperation for an undisclosed time with Australia for “technical reasons”.
- This comes after Indonesia found material insulting Indonesia’s founding principles of ‘Pancasila’ at an Australian training base.
MOUs & Agreements
- The Union Cabinet has approved 3 agreements. They are :
- This Agreement will help both countries in the availability of relevant information for the investigation and prevention of Customs offences.
- Agreement between India and Uruguay for cooperation and mutual assistance in Customs Matters.
- Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Kenya on bilateral cooperation in the field of agriculture and allied sectors.
- Agreement for cooperation (AoC) between India and Portugal in the field of Agriculture and allied sectors.
National Current Affairs
- School teachers in Maharashtra are going to start marking students’ attendance on an online application, called Upastithi, from the next academic year.
- The Union Commerce and Industry Minister Nirmala Sitharaman launched an Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) Enforcement Toolkit for Police.
- This toolkit will be provided to all state police departments across the nation to assist them in dealing with the cases relating to Trademarks and Copyrights infringements.
- For the first time in the country, the Electronic Voting Machines to be used in the upcoming Manipur and Uttarakhand Assembly elections will display photographs of candidates.
- The first Braille library in Guwahati opened at the Blind High School yesterday, on the occasion of World Braille Day.
- The library houses an estimated 200 books, including those on self-help and general knowledge.
- Former head of USAID – US Agency for International Development Rajiv J Shah is set to be named as President of the Rockefeller Foundation, one of America’s largest and most influential philanthropies.
- UK Senior diplomat Sir Tim Barrow appointed as UK’s new ambassador to EU.
- He is going to replace Sir Ivan Rogers.
- S Padmanabhan was appointed as Chairman of Tata Power Company after Cyrus Mistry resigned from the post following his ouster from Tata Sons.
- US President-elect Donald Trump has appointed an Indian-American, Raj Shah, as the Deputy Assistant to the President, Deputy Communication Director, and Research Director.
- Trump is also planning to pick businessman William Hagerty as the next US ambassador to Japan.
Science & Technology
- Technology manufacturer Kingston has unveiled the world’s highest capacity USB flash drive that offers 2 TB of storage space.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- The State Bank of India (SBI) has temporarily blocked major digital wallets including Paytm, MobiKwik and FreeCharge from its net banking service.
- The move disables SBI customers from transferring money from their bank account to the mobile wallets.
Sports Current Affairs
- Mahendra Singh Dhoni stepped down as the Captain of India’s One Day International and T20 International cricket teams.
- However, he will remain in contention for selection for the series against England which begins on January 15.
- Note : He had earlier retired from Test cricket in December 2014.
- Important Points to Note :
- Dhoni holds the record for hitting the most sixes in international cricket as captain.
- He led India in 331 matches across all formats, hitting 211 sixes as skipper.
- He is followed by former Australian skipper Ricky Ponting, who played 324 matches as captain and hit 171 sixes.
- He played the most number of international matches as a captain across all formats in the history of cricket.
- Having captained in 331 international matches, Dhoni led India to 178 wins and suffered 120 losses.
- Dhoni was also the most successful ODI captain in Indian cricket’s history.
- India’s women’s football team defeated Bangladesh 3-1 in Siliguri to win the 2016 South Asian Football Federation Women’s Championship for the 4th consecutive time.