International Current Affairs
- Today (6th January 2017) is World Day for War Orphans.
- This day was initiated by the French organisation, SOS Enfants en Detresses.
- Held on 6th January each year, this special day enables the International Community to recognise the plight of a particularly vulnerable group.
- The United Nations General Assembly (UNGA) has declared the year 2017 as the International Year of Sustainable Tourism for Development.
- France has passed a law making every citizen an organ donor, unless they opt out by registering with a national refusal registry.
- The presumed consent law, which came into effect on 1st January 2017, was passed in hopes of increasing organ and tissue donation.
- Japanese Ambassador to India Kenji Hiramatsu today announced that Japan has decided to be associated with the development of Chennai, Ahmedabad and Varanasi as smart cities in the country.
- This comes as a part of government’s scheme to develop 100 cities as smart cities.
- The last list of 27 cities to be developed as smart cities was released in September.
- Afghan authorities at the Torkham international border between Pakistan and Afghanistan announced today that Pakistani nationals without a valid passport and visa will not be permitted to enter Afghanistan starting January 1, 2017.
- This comes after Pakistan ordered border control measures to prevent the arrival of alleged terrorists from Afghanistan.
- China today launched its longest bullet train ‘Shangri-la of the World‘ from Kunming, in Yunnan Province, to Beijing.
- This has expanded China’s high-speed train network to about 20,000 kilometres.
- It takes nearly 13 hours for the train to cover a distance of 2,760 kilometres.
MOUs & Agreements
- India and Kazakhstan have signed a Protocol to amend the existing Double Taxation Avoidance Convention (DTAC) between the two countrie.
- Note : The Double Taxation Avoidance Convention between Kazakhstan and India was earlier signed in December 1996 for the avoidance of double taxation and for the prevention of fiscal evasion with respect to taxes on income.
National Current Affairs
- Maharashtra government has launched a new Shivgramin Taxi Scheme.
- The new taxis will be orange and white in colour and will ply outside municipal limits.
- The six-seater taxis will provide an alternate mode of public transport to people in rural and semi-urban areas of Maharashtra.
- The 16th meeting of the Financial Stability and Development Council (FSDC) was held in New Delhi.
- This meeting was chaired by Arun Jaitley (Union Finance Minister).
- It was attended by heads of all financial sector regulators as its members.
- It reviewed the major issues and challenges facing the economy.
- US First Lady Michelle Obama has selected Swetha Prabakaran, a 16-year-old Indian-American to serve in the inaugural Student Advisory Board of the ‘Better Make Room‘ education campaign.
- The only Indian-American on the list, Swetha has been chosen in recognition of her efforts to educate the youth in computer sciences.
- She has previously been honoured as a White House Champion of Change.
Recent Committees in News
- The Union Sports Ministry has constituted committee to frame comprehensive National Sports Development Code across sports disciplines.
- The committee will study the existing sports governance frame work, issues relating to sports governance in the country, recent developments related to sports governance.
- Head of the committee : Injeti Srinivas (Sports Secretary)
- Members :
- Abhinav Bindra (Olympian),
- Anju Bobby George (Olympian),
- Praksh Padukone (eminent sports person),
- Narinder Batra (President, FIH),
- Nandan Kamath (Lawyer),
- Bishweshwar Nandi (Coach)
- Vijay Lokpally (Sports Journalist).
- Veteran actor Om Puri (66) passed away after suffering a heart attack.
- The two-time National Award winning actor was awarded the Padma Shri in 1990, the fourth highest civilian award of India.
- During his career, the actor appeared not only in Bollywood movies, but various Pakistani, British and Hollywood movies.
- Noted Manipur-based historian, litterateur and scholar Gangmumei Kamei (77) passed away .
- He was currently a member of the North Eastern Council (NEC). Earlier, he had served as a minister in Manipur on two occasions.
Science & Technology
- China successfully launched new-generation telecommunications satellite.
- The second Tongxin Jishu Shiyan satellite to help test multi-frequency high-speed data transmission.
- China plans to carry out about 30 space launches in 2017.
Business & Economic Affairs
- The Centre today approved a grant of ₹1,782 crore to drought-affected Karnataka, and ₹209 crore to Uttarakhand which was hit by floods in 2013 under the National Disaster Relief Fund.
- IIM Calcutta will be conducting its international business summit Intaglio 2017 from January 6 to 8, 2017.
- Theme of the Summit 2017 : ‘India towards Epitome of Excellence‘
- Government today imposed anti-dumping duty ranging from USD 6.30 to USD 351.72 per tonne on imports of jute and its products from Bangladesh and Nepal to protect domestic industry.
- The anti-dumping duty has been imposed for five years.
Sports Current Affairs
- Virat Kohli has been named India’s limited-overs captain.
- Former skipper MS Dhoni has been included as wicketkeeper-batsman in the squad, which also features Yuvraj Singh.
- Note : Suresh Raina has been named in the T20I squad but has been excluded from ODIs.
Word of the Day
- ‘Tmesis’ is the only English word that begins with the letters ‘tm’.
- Meaning : a technique wherein a word or phrase is separated into two parts, with other words interrupting them.
- An example of tmesis would be what-so-ever, where the word ‘so’ is inserted in the middle of ‘whatever’. It is mainly used for emphasis in informal speech.