Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 7th December 2016.
- Today (7th December) is International Civil Aviation Day.
- Theme for 2015-18 : Working Together to ensure No Country is Left Behind
- US Defense Secretary Ash Carter today announced the US will return nearly 10,000 acres of land on the Japanese island of Okinawa back to Japan this month.
- This is the largest transfer of US-occupied land since 1972 when US returned most of Okinawa, which had been under US control since the end of World War II in 1945.
- The BRICS (Brazil, Russia, India, China and South Africa) countries have agreed to share tax information automatically as per their commitment to ensure the fairness of the international tax system.
- Decion in this regard was taken at the meeting of Heads of Revenue of BRICS Countries in Mumbai, Maharashtra.
National Current Affairs
- Today is Armed Forces Flag Day / Flag Day of India.
- This day is celebrated all over India every year on 7th of December in order to collect the funds from people all around the country for the wellbeing of the staff of the Indian Armed Forces.
- It was first celebrated in India on 7th of December in the year 1949.
- Since 1949, it has become a ritual in order to memorialize this day in the great honour of the soldiers, sailors and airmen of the India.
- Karnataka‘s Department of Women and Child Development is going to launch a pilot project under which lactating mothers in the state will get a hot meal for 1,000 days after child birth.
- The department is also launching a child tracking system in collaboration with Infosys, which would measure underweight and stunting in children.
- In a bid to eliminate Measles and Rubella in Karnataka, the state will introduce measles-rubella vaccine in February. Under the initiative, the state targets to cover at least 95% of the children including those of labourers at slums and construction sites.
- Important Note : Karnataka is the only state which has initiated case-based measles-rubella surveillance since October 2 this year.
- India’s first Heritage Military Transport Park was inaugurated in Bengaluru today to document and educate future generations on the contributions of the mechanical transport fleet to the armed forces.
- Currently, five vintage vehicles – Jeep, Jonga, Nissan Vehicles, 1 Ton and Shaktiman – are on display and more vehicles will be added in the future.
All New Appointments list as on 7th December 2016 are as follows:
- Chief Justice of India TS Thakur has recommended Supreme Court judge Justice Jagdish Singh Khehar as his successor after his retirement on January 3, 2017.
- Justice Khehar, who will be India’s 44th Chief Justice, will hold the office until August 27, 2017.
- French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve was appointed the Prime Minister after PM Manuel Valls resigned to seek the Socialist Party’s ticket in 2017 presidential elections.
Science & Technology
- The Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) today successfully launched the Resourcesat-2A satellite from the Satish Dhawan Space Centre in Sriharikota, Andhra Pradesh.
- The 1.2-tonne satellite will be placed into a polar Sun Synchronous Orbit by the PSLV-C36 launch vehicle.
- The satellite is intended for resource monitoring and to continue remote sensing data services to global users.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- In it’s first bi-monthly credit policy review after demonetisation, the Reserve Bank of India (RBI) today kept the repo rate unchanged at 6.25%.
- This was the second monetary policy review headed by Urjit Patel after he took charge as the RBI Governor in September this year.
- In the last policy review in October, the RBI cut the repo rate by 0.25% to 6.25%.
- The Reserve Bank of India has also withdrew the incremental cash reserve ratio (CRR) of 100%.
- The Reserve Bank of India today announced that no PIN will be required for all card-not-present transactions including online payments up to ₹2,000.
- Customers opting for the facility will go through a one-time registration process requiring entry of card details.
- Thereafter, no PIN will be required from the registered customers for transactions up to ₹2,000.
- The RBI has also announced that it will shortly issue ₹100 denomination banknotes in the Mahatma Gandhi Series-2005.
- The new notes will not have inset letter in both the numbering panels and will bear the year of printing ‘2016’.
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis today announced that the state government is set to bring its own e-wallet system, named ‘Maha-Wallet‘, to promote a cashless economy.
- The move comes a month after the Centre announced to demonetise old high-value currency notes to curb corruption, black money menace and terrorism.
- Andhra Pradesh Government has launched AP Purse mobile application to promote digital transactions among the people.
- This application was launched by Chief Minister N Chandrababu Naidu in Vijayawada to solve the cash crunch problem in the state following demonitisaton of high value old currency notes.
- Google parent Alphabet has been named the company of the year by Fortune magazine in its annual Blue Ribbon ranking.
- The list recognises the “best of the best” organisations that have appeared on four or more Fortune lists in 2016 like Fortune 500 and Most Admired Companies.
- The Reserve Bank of India (RBI) has clarified that banks will have to bear the full liability in the event of any security breach or compromise in the authorised card network.
- Banks issuing the cards will offer the ‘payment authentication solutions’ of the respective card networks on an optional basis to their customers.
- Veteran Journalist and former Rajya Sabha member Cho Ramaswamy (82) passed away today.
- He was the founder editor of the Thuglak magazine and had also featured in several movies.
- Note : He was a long-time confidante of former Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa, who passed away on Monday.
Awards & Honors
- The TIME magazine today named US President-elect Donald Trump as the Person of the Year 2016.
- The World Economic Forum has named Hindi in the top 10 most powerful languages on the planet.
- The list features English as the most powerful language followed by Mandarin. The index applied for the consensus took into account various factors including geography, economy and diplomacy.
- Actor Shah Rukh Khan was named ‘Kids’ Ikon of the Year‘ at Nickelodeon’s Kids Choice Awards.
- Actor Salman Khan won the Best Actor award for his film ‘Sultan’, while Deepika Padukone was named Best Actress for historical romance film ‘Bajirao Mastani’.
- Singer Beyoncé leads with nine nominations for her album ‘Lemonade’ in the 59th Annual Grammy Awards for 2017.
- Meanwhile, Drake, Rihanna and Kanye West received eight nominations each.
Question of the Day
- What were the welfare schemes launched by Jayalalithaa ?
- Late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa, who served as the state’s CM six times, launched various schemes for the welfare of the state under the ‘Amma’ banner. These schemes included ‘Amma Canteen’ for setting up a chain of highly-subsidised restaurants, ‘Amma Mineral Water’ for supplying hygienic water at affordable cost, and ‘Amma Gyms’ and ‘Amma Parks’ for people in rural areas.