Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 8th December 2016.
- Japan‘s lower parliamentary house today passed a bill to legalise casinos and forwarded it to the upper house for approval.
- The legalisation of casinos has been debated for years over concerns that it could lead to gambling addiction and involve crime groups.
- Note : PM Shinzo Abe has supported lifting the ban on casinos ever since he came to power.
- Malta’s Parliament has unanimously voted to ban gay conversion therapy.
- With this, Malta has became the first European country to make the practice illegal.
- Italy’s Prime Minister Matteo Renzi has resigned today from his post and hints for an early election.
- Russia and China have vetoed a UN Security Council resolution on an immediate seven-day ceasefire in Syria’s Aleppo, with Russia terming the draft resolution “counterproductive”.
- The resolution had been proposed by Spain, New Zealand, and Egypt to allow delivery of aid to civilians in the region and allow resumption of peace talks with the Syrian rebel forces.
National Current Affairs
The National Current Affairs as on 8th December 2016 are as follows:
- Today (8th December) is Bodhi Day.
- This day is celebrated by Buddhists around the world to commemorates the day when Buddha, Siddhartha Gautama, attained enlightenment under the Bodhi Tree (596 BC).
- The Maharashtra Cabinet today announced that the Mumbai International Airport will be renamed from Chhatrapati Shivaji International Airport to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj International Airport.
- The Cabinet has also decided to rename one of its busiest railway stations, the Chhatrapati Shivaji Terminus (CST), which was earlier called the Victoria Terminus, to Chhatrapati Shivaji Maharaj Terminus.
- The Uttar Pradesh government has reportedly given its nod for the construction of a 15-km metro project that will link Noida’s Sector 71 with Greater Noida’s Knowledge Park V.
- The project, which has been given a deadline of March 2021, was approved in June 2016.
- It will benefit homebuyers who have shifted to apartment complexes in Greater Noida West.
- The Centre today gave the green signal to the much delayed Pune metro rail project.
- The metro project is scheduled to be completed in five years from the date of start of work, said civic officials.
- Ahead of the 2019 Lok Sabha elections and Assembly polls, the Cabinet today approved Election Commission’s proposal to purchase new electronic voting machines worth over ₹1,000 crore.
- The purchase of new machines from Bharat Electronics Ltd (BEL) and Electronics Corporation of India Ltd (ECIL) will allow the phasing out of old machines procured during 2000-2005.
MOUs & Agreements
- The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Vietnam on Cooperation in the field of Information Technology.
- The MoU aims to develop sustainable and a long-term cooperation between both countries on the basis of equality and mutual interest in the areas of IT.
- The Union Cabinet has approved Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Afghanistan on cooperation in the peaceful uses of outer space.
- The MoU envisages cooperation between both countries for application of space technologies in various sectors like agriculture, education, weather forecasting, rural health, telecommunications, urban development, sanitation, resource mapping navigation, remote sensing etc.
All New Appointments list as on 8th December 2016 are as follows:
- Internationally acclaimed sculptor Adwaita Gadanayak today assumed charge as Director General of the National Gallery of Modern Art (NGMA).
- He has replaced Rajeev Lochan.
Banking & Economic Affairs
- In an effort to promote cashless payments post demonetisation, the government today waived off the service tax charged on debit and credit card transactions of up to ₹2,000.
- This comes more than a week after the government asked the banks to waive transaction charges on debit card payments till December 31.
- Venezuela is going to launch a new 20,000-bolivar banknote to help people struggling with large bundles of currency notes during the country’s economic crisis.
- The biggest denomination banknote currently in circulation is 100 bolivars, being exchanged at around $0.02 (around ₹1.36).
- This comes amid falling Venezuelan oil prices, which is driving up the import prices of goods in the country.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates as on 8th December 2016 are under:
- The first elite men’s National Boxing tournament has started today in Guwahati.
- 11th edition of Hockey Junior World Cup for Men has begun in Lucknow today.
- Mahatma Gandhi is the only Indian to be named TIME Person of the Year, having been given the honour in 1930.
- The magazine described him as ‘Saint Gandhi’ and later named him as one of the 25 Political Icons of all time.
- Gandhiji’s mark on world history in 1930 will undoubtedly loom the largest of all, wrote TIME.
- Important Note : The TIME magazine has named US President-elect Donald Trump as the Person of the Year 2016.