Improve your knowledge for competitive exams by going through the daily current affairs from our website. Reading day to day current affairs helps to improve your memory power for competitive exams cracking. Here we are providing daily current affairs latest & updated.
Current Affairs as on 9th February 2017
International Current Affairs
Here we are providing very important current affairs of international category for 9th February 2017.
- The U.K. House of Commons today approved legislation that would allow Prime Minister Theresa May to officially begin the Brexit process.
- Now that the legislation has been approved by the House of Commons, it will be put before the House of Lords for a final decision lat er this month.
National Current Affairs
Most important National Current Affairs of 9th February 2017 are provided below:
- The Union Cabinet chaired by the Prime Minister Shri Narendra Modi has approved ‘Pradhan Mantri Gramin Digital Saksharta Abhiyan’ (PMGDISHA) to make 6 crore rural households digitally literate.
- This is expected to be one of the largest digital literacy programmes in the world.
- The outlay for this project is Rs.2,351.38 crore to usher in digital literacy in rural India by March,.2019.
- This approval comes in line with the announcement made by Union Finance Minister in the Union Budget 2016-17.
- Technology major Google has won a deal to set up its first city-wide Wi-Fi project called Google Station in Pune.
- Google bagged the ₹150 crore contract in collaboration with IBM, Larsen & Toubro and RailTel from the Pune Smart City Development Corporation.
- Under the project, Google will deploy fast-internet hotspots in public places in Pune.
Recent Committees in News
- The Centre has formed a Committee comprising the secretaries of three ministries (Water Resources, Environment and Forest, and Drinking Water and Sanitation) to expedite the implementation of its ambitious Namami Gange programme under which it plans to free the Ganga river of waste by next year.
- Union Water Resources Minister Uma Bharti announced formation of the committee while chairing the first meeting of the Empowered Task Force on Ganga today.
- The secretaries of ministries of Water Resources, Environment and Forest, and Drinking Water and Sanitation will be members of the panel, which will meet at least once every fortnight.
- The government of India has appointed three non-official directors (Ashok Gulati, Manish Sabharwal and Rajiv Kumar) on the Reserve Bank of India’s board for a period of four years.
- Aditya Birla Group Chairman Kumar Mangalam Birla could be the Chairman of the entity formed by the merger of telecom majors Vodafone and Idea.
- The proposed merger will create the nation’s largest telecom firm with combined revenue of around ₹80,000 crore.
- Model Bella Hadid has been appointed the accessories ambassador of Italian jewellery and luxury goods brand ‘Bulgari‘.
MOUs & Agreements
- The Union Cabinet chaired by Prime Minister Narendra Modi was apprised of the signing of a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) of cooperation between Technology Development Board (TDB), Department of Science and Technology, Government of India and Bpifrance– which is a Public Investment Bank in France.
- The agreement will foster exchange of desirable practices and setting up of coordinated measures to further developmental exchange in the field of science, technology and innovation.
- The Union Cabinet has been apprised of the Framework Agreement between India and Vietnam on cooperation in the exploration and uses of outer space for peaceful purposes.
- The Framework Agreement will enable pursuing the potential interest areas of cooperation such as space science, technology and applications including remote sensing of the earth; satellite communication and satellite-based navigation; space science and planetary exploration; use of spacecraft and space systems and ground system; and application of space technology.
- This Agreement has been signed on 3rd September 2016.
- The Union Cabinet also approved signing a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between India and Senegal in the field of Health and Medicine.
- Both countries will set up a Working Group to further elaborate the details of cooperation and to oversee the implementation of this MoU.
Awards & Honors
- Dr P Raghu Ram, President of Association of Breast Surgeons of India was awarded prestigious Dr B C Roy national award for outstanding service in the field of socio-medical relief for 2016.
- The award will be conferred on him by President Pranab Mukherjee on the occasion of the Doctors day observed every year on 1st July.
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis handed over the awards for Best Actor and Most Versatile Personality of the Year to Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh at the Bright Awards 2017.
Books & Authors
- Booker Prize winner Salman Rushdie has announced his new novel titled ‘The Golden House‘.
- This novel will dramatise the last eight years of US politics.
- Starting with the inauguration of Barack Obama in 2008, the book will include current and recent political events.
Sports Current Affairs
All Sports Updates on 9th February 2017 details are provided below:
- India defeated Nepal by 152 runs to clinch their 6th successive victory in the T20 World Cup for Blind.
- 39 year-old Anindita Chakraborty helped West Bengal women win the Senior National Table Tennis Championship after a gap of 19 years.
- Note : The title was Anindita’s seventh national title.