Know How to Attempt UPSC Prelims General Studies paper 2019? The preparation for Civil Services involves a dedicated and focused study in right direction. The syllabus is quite vast. Below is described the general scheme of the exam. If you study daily in proper direction, there are good chances of success. Only about 10% of the students sitting in exam are serious about these. Real competition is between 5% of candidates. Dedicated preparation can definitely ensure success.
The first step to test oneself in Civil Service examinations is preliminary exam. The exam paper will be segregated into two sections: Paper I (General Studies) and Paper II (Aptitude Test). Both the papers would carry 200 marks each. Paper I includes current events, history, geography, economic, social development and general issues on bio diversity and Paper II covers interpersonal skills, decision making abilities and so forth.
How to Attempt UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper
There are some basic tips to handle Paper 1 or General Studies for the Prelims examination. An in-depth understanding of the contents given in the syllabus can help the candidates to prepare this paper in a much better way.
Syllabus for Prelims General Studies Paper-I
- Current events of national and international importance
- History of India and Indian National Movement
- Indian and World Geography – Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization.
- General Science
Points to be remember before appearing UPSC Prelims exam paper:
Prelims paper 1 General Studies is qualifying paper to write the mains exam The questions in the UPSC Prelims exams are objective type also called as multiple choice questions. There is “Negative Marking” in the Prelims exam. There is a penalty of 33% marks or 0.83 marks for every wrong answer. Though decision making and problem solving section doesn’t have negative marking. Since 2013, it’s for the first time the Indian Forest Service (IFS) aspirants are combined with the Civil Services candidates to take the Preliminary examination. The aspirants who may clear the Preliminary exam have to separately write the Mains exams for Indian Forest Service. Two hours (120 minutes) duration for general studies paper (prelims paper 1). Blind candidates are allowed extra time of twenty minutes for each paper. There are 100 questions in prelims paper 1 and total 200 marks for general studies paper (prelims paper 1).It is mandatory for the candidate to appear in both the papers of Civil Services (Prelim) examination for the purpose of evaluation.
Guidelines for attempting the paper
- Firstly, the candidates should focus on easy questions
- The candidates should leave the difficult questions
- Also, the candidates should make only intelligent guesses and not random guesses
- Practice as many test papers as possible
Hope this article will help you for your preparation. Share this article How to Attempt UPSC Prelims General Studies Paper 2019 to your friends.