Get UPSC IPS SYLLABUS & SUBJECTS 2018 details. We had already provided UPSC civil Services Exam Notification 2018 & UPSC Exam Syllabus & Subjects 2018 in detail. Before going to attempt UPSC Civil Services IPS exam students must know about UPSC Exam Syllabus for IPS, the exam pattern & the subjects for UPSC IPS 2018 exams.
Here, in this article, we are providing UPSC Exam Syllabus for IPS & Structure for 2018 exam. The Union Public Service Commission (UPSC) has revised the pattern of Civil Services Main examination from 2015.
UPSC Exam Syllabus for IPS exam 2018 in detail is given below.
UPSC IPS Syllabus 2018
Indian Police Service IPS Syllabus is exclusive which you need to follow while preparing for the exam.
Let’s go in a systematic manner so as to properly understand the paper pattern and the syllabus of each subject of IPS Exam.
1. PAPER-I (Indian Police Service IPS Syllabus )
- This paper is for 200 marks.
- The duration of this paper is 2 hours.
- It is an objective type paper.
Subjects included in this paper are:
- Recent events taking place on a national and international level, we are of great importance.
- Indian History which includes ancient, medieval and modern and especially Indian National Movement.
- Geographical aspects of India and also the world geography.
- Political existence of India and how Governance is made under the houses. It basically includes Indian Constitution how it was formulated, Political system, Panchayat Raj- its importance in today’s India, Public policy, Rights to people and many more.
- Economic and Social Development of the Indian society also the social issues like Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector
- Initiatives and how they cause an impact on the economic growth of the nation.
- For an environmental study of its ecology, Bio-Diversity and Climate Changes.
- General science.
2. PAPER -II (Indian Police Service IPS Syllabus )
- Even paper 2 is for 200 marks.
- Its duration is 2 hours.
- It is also objective type paper like MCQ’S.
The type of questions asked in this paper are:
- Comprehension- passage writing.
- There are questions relating to social skill as well as there are some questions relating to communication skills;
- There are questions which require logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Your skill of decision making and how you handle the problem will also be checked
- Mental capacity
- Class X level of Basic numeracy, normally it is numbers and their relations, the order of magnitude and like questions.There will also be questions to interpret the data which will be given in the form of charts, graphs, tables, data sufficiency etc,
- There will again be comprehension of English language.
- Everything in the paper will be of class X level so nothing difficult.
3.PAPER III (Indian Police Service IPS Syllabus )
- This paper is for 200 marks.
- The duration of this paper is 3 hours.
- This paper is the qualifying test and a descriptive test.
- The main purpose of this test is to know the ability of the candidate read and interpret excursive prose and comprehension.The
- Candidates are supposed to express their ideas clearly.
The pattern of the question will be like:
- Precis writing- it is to cut short big paragraphs and abstracting the main idea of the passage.
- Usage and Vocabulary,
- To make comprehension of given passage,
- This paper is compulsory to be attempted in only English.
4. PAPER-IV (Indian Police Service IPS Syllabus )
- It is an Essay writing paper.
- This paper is of 300 marks.
- It is a descriptive paper as it will check your innovative thoughts, vocabulary, word formation and many such qualities.
This paper contains following things:
- In this paper, Candidates are supposed to write two essays.
- Among the two essays, one topic will be related to Indian Society or Politics or Economics or Development & Growth and such related aspects.
- The next topic will be related to security and related matters.Candidates here are expected to keep the content of their essay closely to the subject they select to write. There should be continued in their paragraphs and some meaningful content should be present. There should be a systematic fashion. No credit will be given for fictitious thoughts, their views should be effective and practicable.
5. PAPER V (Indian Police Service IPS Syllabus )
- General Studies, this paper is of 200 marks.
- The duration of this paper is 3 hours and it is also a descriptive type paper.
In this paper you have to attend:
- The first question requires the concise and succinct ideas about History and Geography of India.
- The next part will include questions related to Constitution of India. You also need to study Indian polity to answer this section of the question. The question can also be based on the constitution, legal, administrative and other issues emerging from the political-administrative system existing in India.
- The part of question paper will check your social awareness, the prevalent National issues and the topics of present scenario. The topics may include 1. Issues on how to have good governance and answerability to the citizens, maintenance of human rights and integrity in public life.
2. Issues related to the environment, conservation of natural resources and protection of national heritage saying the ecological system.
3. Issues related to the Indian economy, economic planning, convention and re-use of resources, nation’s economic growth, development, and employment.
4. Issues arising from the social and economic exemption of large sections from the benefits of development.
5. Other issues relating to the development and management of human resource.
6. Solutions relating to easy enforcement of the law, state security, and communal Harmony.
- The solution for conflicts arising due to diversity in India, unity among diversity and pluralism.Solutions for conflicts due to political, social, economic and cultural issues.
- Emerging social changes related to governance and democratic rights and privileges of citizens.
- Issues which can affect the security of Nation: Measures for new growing crimes like -white-collar crime and cybercrime, money laundering and tax havens. Better use of technology in crime prevention, detection, investigation, and solution. Effective use of weapons and weapons training that a uniformed officer should be aware of.
Measures that can be and should be taken for food, water, and energy security, ideas to avoid food adulteration, management during any calamities and rehabilitation measures that can be taken at that time, Technological self-reliance as a part of security objectives. Advancement that can be done in defense forces to prevent against terrorism and militancy.
- The last part is related to statistical analysis, graph and diagrams it is to check the candidates capacity to make conclusions from information. They have to extract the solutions in statistical, graphical or diagram form and to interpret them.
Complete Overview of IPS Syllabus
This post will give you an overview of complete IPS Syllabus and Paper Pattern which is officially released by UPSC.UPSC conducts written as well as interview exam.These exams act as a base for selecting eligible candidates for the position of IPS.A detailed look throughout the syllabus is necessary, especially for those who are going to appear IPS for the first time UPSC IPS exam include three levels:
- Preliminary exam
- Main exam
After completing and clearing these three levels by the candidates, the candidates will be eligible for the post of IPS.
Basic info about the preliminary exam:
- Marks of the preliminary exam are not counted for final marks.
- Candidates should attempt two papers(paper 1 & paper 2) which are compulsory.
- Both the papers are of 200 marks.
- The questions will be of multiple choice.
- The questions will be objective type.
- It is necessary for candidate to score minimum 33% in paper 2 if fails to score minimum marks than the candidate won’t be able to attempt
- for its main
- Both the paper will be of two hours duration.
- There is Negative Marking in the prelims and 1/3rd of marks allotted for every question is reduced from your score if you get it wrong.
Syllabus of Paper I –
- Current events of national and international importance.
- History of India and Indian National Movement.
- Indian and World Geography-Physical, Social, Economic Geography of India and the World.
- Indian Polity and Governance – Constitution, Political System, Panchayati Raj, Public Policy, Rights Issues, etc.
- Economic and Social Development – Sustainable Development, Poverty, Inclusion, Demographics, Social Sector initiatives, etc.
- General issues on Environmental Ecology, Bio-diversity, and Climate Change – that do not require subject specialization
- General Science.
Syllabus for Paper II –
- Interpersonal skills including communication skills;
- Logical reasoning and analytical ability
- Decision-making and problem-solving
- General mental ability
- Basic numeracy (numbers and their relations, orders of magnitude, etc.) (Class X level), Data interpretation (charts, graphs, tables, data
- sufficiency etc. – Class X level)
Basic info about the Main exam:
- Your main exam will consist of 9 papers.
- You will have Two qualifying papers of 300 marks each.
- Marks of qualifying paper will not be considered or counted.
- Rest other 7 subjects will be of 250 marks each.
Syllabus for the Mains exam:
Paper 1 – One of the Indian language to be selected by candidate
Paper 2 – English
2) General studies 1 (Indian heritage/culture, world history & geography)
3) General studies 2(governance, constitution, polity, social justice and
4) General studies3(technology, economic development, biodiversity, international relations) environment, security & disaster management)
5)General studies 4(ethics, integrity & aptitude)
6)Optional 1 (of your choice)
7)Optional 2 (of your choice) Candidate is allowed to take up literature as an optional subject “without the conditionality of having to do his/her graduation in that language’s literature.
Candidates may choose any ONE optional subject from amongst the list of subjects are given below:
- Animal Husbandry and Veterinary Science
- Civil Engineering
- Commerce and Accountancy
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Medical Science
- Political Science and International Relations
- Public Administration
Literature of any one of the following languages:
Please share this article UPSC IPS Exam Syllabus for 2018 to all your friends who are preparing for UPSC Civil Services IPS Exam 2018. If you have any issues & Doubts regarding mains Exam Structure, Syllabus, detailed subject topics and any other related to Civil Services Exam 2018 you can ask via comment box.
Few Important Links for UPSC IAS Aspirants 2018 | 2019
|UPSC Notification 2017||UPSC Syllabus||UPSC Prelims Syllabus|
|UPSC IAS Exam Pattern||UPSC Reference Books||UPSC Eligibility|
|UPSC Mains Exams Pattern||UPSC Question papers||UPSC IAS Preparation Tips|
|UPSC IAS Exam Application||UPSC Admit Card||UPSC Results|