Any aspirant irrespective of their academic background, dreams of clearing UPSC exams. Cracking UPSC exam in the first shot is though not an easy task but also not an impossible one. All it takes is consistency, determination, dedication and the right strategy.
So here are a few mistakes that a UPSC aspirant often makes and ways to overcome them.
- Lack of proper Strategy and consistency: Students should have small and achievable plans for each day. A concrete plan works better than having huge idealistic goals.
- Underestimating NCERT Books: NCERT books are essential for concept clarity. Also refer others manuals like TMH, Arihant, etc. Few online portals can also be referred for help.
- Superficial knowledge: Avoid having a superficial knowledge of the subject. Proper preparation requires indent understanding of the concepts so students should refrain from skipping any part.
- Not practicing previous year questions: The unpredictable nature of question paper can be overcome easily by practicing through previous year questions as it gives you an insight of the pattern of questions that can be expected.
- Not taking Mock exams at frequent intervals: Taking regular mocks helps one to understand his/her strengths and weaknesses. Once you know your areas of weakness you can improve on it.
- Wasting too much time on Newspapers: Though reading newspaper is important but spending whole day on it can be unwise. Limit newspaper reading to maximum one hour and refer other monthly magazines.
- Lack of writing practice: Many students fail to manage time due to writing speed. Regular writing practice can effectively increase writing speed. Along with speed focus one neat and clear handwriting.
- Failing to revise: Repeated revision is the biggest assist of a topper. It helps in refreshing all the concepts. Also, many students just look up the solution and solve questions which never prove to be beneficial as in the long run he/she forgets the method or approach followed. Students should try solving as many questions as possible on own and make a separate list of the type of questions they find difficult to solve.
- Preparing for prelims and mains at a time: Students often make this mistake of clubbing both the preparations. The best call is to prepare separately as prelims require one to cover a wide range of topics. Preparing together might make you skip few topics of prelims.
- Group studying: Thought the importance of group study cannot be ignored but sometimes it tends to be time wasting. Students should allot maximum time for self-studying and doubts in some topics can be discussed in groups.
- Being too stressful or overconfident on the Exam day: Being too nervous or overconfident during those 3 hours can ruin all the efforts made. Try to be calm and focused throughout the exam.
- Time management: Students often face issues with time management. The best way to overcome is regular practice and giving mock exams.
- Avoid distractions: UPSC exam preparation requires dedicated effort. Students should make diligent use of resources available. It is best to avoid any type of luring distraction that wastes too much time. Also, do not just be a bookworm, keep free time for yourself to relax.
To sum it up, it all comes down to individual preparation at the end of the day. The biggest key to unlock UPSC exam is smart and intelligent work combined with hard work. Missing out on anyone can be fatal.
Hope this article helps you in your preparation. It’s better to accept your mistakes now and rectify it rather than regretting it.
BEST WISHES to all the Aspirants 🙂
For more information on Online IAS Coaching– Visit Here